The North American Fly Fishing Forum

Go Back   The North American Fly Fishing Forum > General Fly Fishing Discussion > General Discussion

General Discussion General discussions regarding fly fishing as a whole. Ask questions. Get answers...

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 07-09-2009, 12:13 AM

Hoser41 is on a distinguished road
Default Dry fly

Well I went out and gave it another try today...Fish were jumping at bug I guess...Everytime i had a bite I could set the hook. Too much slack in the line.When the fly is out there I get a big bow downstream in my line. I know I am suppose to mend it but when I do the fly jumps out of the water. If I allow it with the bend I get way to much slack. Get the hit and pull up and nothing because fly is still in the water. Any advise
Old 07-09-2009, 09:31 AM
Super Moderator/Fly Swap Coordinator

peregrines has a reputation beyond reputeperegrines has a reputation beyond reputeperegrines has a reputation beyond reputeperegrines has a reputation beyond reputeperegrines has a reputation beyond reputeperegrines has a reputation beyond reputeperegrines has a reputation beyond reputeperegrines has a reputation beyond reputeperegrines has a reputation beyond reputeperegrines has a reputation beyond reputeperegrines has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Dry fly

Hoser-

First, it's good you were getting hits, even if you didn't hook them. At least you have them looking up and showing interest.

A couple things that might help-

Try and keep your casts short by getting into position by wading if you can-- the shorter the cast, the less line on the water, and the less problems you'll have with drag and slack line. This might be easier (and more important) in faster water sections where you can wade a bit closer to holding lies without spooking fish. In some streams you can catch a lot of fish within 20' feet, and holding the rod high with a minimum of fly line on the water to screw up the drift and less slack line on the water to move when you want to come tight and set the hook. The ability to cast long is a great skill and will come in handy under different conditions, but generally the longer the cast, the more you cross different current speeds making mending and natural presentations very difficult.

Mending is going to be key to get a good drift. After your cast, just flip the tip of the rod upstream-- you may be using too much force if you're moving the fly-- you just want to move the fly line- the mend shouldn't reach the fly. Many times what looks like a strike is actually a last second refusal because of drag on the fly.

While the fly is drifting, the fly line should either be held firmly either in your left hand, or pinched between the index finger of your rod hand and the cork. Generally i prefer holding the line in my off hand above the cork towards the first guide, so that when the fish hits you can "strip strike" by flicking the rod tip as well as pulling the fly line down towards the reel with a quick tug to remove slack line.

Keep the angle of the rod low enough and the slack line under control so that a 6" flick of the tip will move the fly. If you can do that and are still missing strikes, it could be that you are striking too soon. In Britain, when a fish hits the fly, the old traditional advice is to say "God save the Queen" before striking the fish. It's hard to resist striking right away, but the slight pause at least in theory, gives the fish time to take and turn, which gives you better angle for sinking the hook into something solid instead of pulling it out or away from the fishes mouth.

Hope some of this helps. I'm sure other folks will weight in with more tips.

mark
Old 07-09-2009, 10:18 AM
Super Moderator

jpbfly has a reputation beyond reputejpbfly has a reputation beyond reputejpbfly has a reputation beyond reputejpbfly has a reputation beyond reputejpbfly has a reputation beyond reputejpbfly has a reputation beyond reputejpbfly has a reputation beyond reputejpbfly has a reputation beyond reputejpbfly has a reputation beyond reputejpbfly has a reputation beyond reputejpbfly has a reputation beyond repute

As Mark told you ,in faster waters you can catch fish very close sometimes with no line on the water...a few years ago my friend Pierre's wife was on the bank with her camera ,she asked me to catch a fish to take several photos ,I was lucky enough to strike one...so here are some photos.
1 locate the fish
2 get close and dap the fly on its nose
3 fight
4 land it
5 show it to your fans
6 release it
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Photoautriche2003 240.jpg (96.8 KB, 87 views)
File Type: jpg Photoautriche2003 241.jpg (99.1 KB, 86 views)
File Type: jpg Photoautriche2003 243.jpg (99.0 KB, 86 views)
File Type: jpg Photoautriche2003 244.jpg (97.8 KB, 86 views)
File Type: jpg Photoautriche2003 245.jpg (94.8 KB, 84 views)
Old 07-09-2009, 10:54 AM
CzechRM is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by jbbfly View Post
1 locate the fish
3 fight
4 land it
5 show it to your fans
6 release it
This is the best explanation I have ever seen for small stream fishing!
Old 07-09-2009, 11:38 AM

HuronRiverDan has a brilliant futureHuronRiverDan has a brilliant futureHuronRiverDan has a brilliant futureHuronRiverDan has a brilliant futureHuronRiverDan has a brilliant futureHuronRiverDan has a brilliant futureHuronRiverDan has a brilliant futureHuronRiverDan has a brilliant futureHuronRiverDan has a brilliant futureHuronRiverDan has a brilliant futureHuronRiverDan has a brilliant future
Send a message via Yahoo to HuronRiverDan

If you can, wade slightly above and to the side of the fish, then cast above the fish with a slight upstream mend. This will keep your line fairly tight without creating too much drag.

Dan
Old 07-10-2009, 11:33 AM
Super Moderator

jpbfly has a reputation beyond reputejpbfly has a reputation beyond reputejpbfly has a reputation beyond reputejpbfly has a reputation beyond reputejpbfly has a reputation beyond reputejpbfly has a reputation beyond reputejpbfly has a reputation beyond reputejpbfly has a reputation beyond reputejpbfly has a reputation beyond reputejpbfly has a reputation beyond reputejpbfly has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by CzechRM View Post
This is the best explanation I have ever seen for small stream fishing!
Thanks! Not always easy to catch a fish on demand
Old 07-10-2009, 11:46 AM

yatahey has much to be proud ofyatahey has much to be proud ofyatahey has much to be proud ofyatahey has much to be proud ofyatahey has much to be proud ofyatahey has much to be proud ofyatahey has much to be proud ofyatahey has much to be proud ofyatahey has much to be proud ofyatahey has much to be proud of

Quote:
Originally Posted by jbbfly View Post
As Mark told you ,in faster waters you can catch fish very close sometimes with no line on the water...a few years ago my friend Pierre's wife was on the bank with her camera ,she asked me to catch a fish to take several photos ,I was lucky enough to strike one...so here are some photos.
1 locate the fish
3 fight
4 land it
5 show it to your fans
6 release it
Excellent!!!
And a nice fish too.
Old 07-10-2009, 11:50 AM

yatahey has much to be proud ofyatahey has much to be proud ofyatahey has much to be proud ofyatahey has much to be proud ofyatahey has much to be proud ofyatahey has much to be proud ofyatahey has much to be proud ofyatahey has much to be proud ofyatahey has much to be proud ofyatahey has much to be proud of

sorry doublle post
Old 07-10-2009, 03:21 PM

JoJer is a splendid one to beholdJoJer is a splendid one to beholdJoJer is a splendid one to beholdJoJer is a splendid one to beholdJoJer is a splendid one to beholdJoJer is a splendid one to beholdJoJer is a splendid one to behold

I'd heard this before and just read it again in a magazine article: God put bluegilll on earth to teach fly fishermen how to strike. You might try practicing on you local pond. If there's a little wind, you can practice your mend against that.
Old 07-10-2009, 03:41 PM

FrankB2 has a reputation beyond reputeFrankB2 has a reputation beyond reputeFrankB2 has a reputation beyond reputeFrankB2 has a reputation beyond reputeFrankB2 has a reputation beyond reputeFrankB2 has a reputation beyond reputeFrankB2 has a reputation beyond reputeFrankB2 has a reputation beyond reputeFrankB2 has a reputation beyond reputeFrankB2 has a reputation beyond reputeFrankB2 has a reputation beyond repute

Hey Jojer! I use that with my wife !!!

Take a look at this video on mending: YouTube - Fly Fishing Lessons - Part 9 The resolution is terrible, but you will get some info. Some
more experienced casters are very good at flipping 40 feet of line upstream
without moving the fly, but a mend only needs to be long enough to stop
any drag.

Love those pics and tutorial, Jbbfly !