The North American Fly Fishing Forum

Go Back   The North American Fly Fishing Forum > General Fly Fishing Discussion > General Discussion

General Discussion General discussions regarding fly fishing as a whole. Ask questions. Get answers...

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 07-09-2009, 10:22 AM
Banned

Location: Lake of the Woods/Rainy River Minnesota Canada border
Guest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond repute
Default Fly rod Walleye update

As I mentioned in a couple of previous threads, I have been Walleye fishing with a fly rod. I was having some problems with high banks and the water getting deep fast enough that waders only got me an extra 8 or 10 feet of back cast room. I spent a lot of time digging clousers out of the brush. I built a 15' spey rod to conquer the back cast problem. Once I learned how to use it, I tried actually fishing with it. I got a 27 1/4" walleye on a black marabou leach tied clouser style. This is now my favorite rod. In fact it may be the favorite anything I own. I'll post a picture of the Walleye as soon as I get the film developed. This is the picture of the 29 1/2" Walleye that inspired me to build the spey rod.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 3440-29walleye.jpg (32.4 KB, 154 views)
Old 07-09-2009, 10:31 AM
Administrator

mcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Fly rod Walleye update

Diver Dan: Wow! Nice work with the Sprey rod and congrats on the BIG walleye. Looking forward to seeing your photos, post some of your rod also.

Larry
Old 07-09-2009, 10:35 AM

MikeLove will become famous soon enoughMikeLove will become famous soon enough

That is one fine looking fish..
Old 07-09-2009, 12:01 PM

troutdoorsman is a splendid one to beholdtroutdoorsman is a splendid one to beholdtroutdoorsman is a splendid one to beholdtroutdoorsman is a splendid one to beholdtroutdoorsman is a splendid one to beholdtroutdoorsman is a splendid one to beholdtroutdoorsman is a splendid one to behold

What river is that in the background?
Old 07-09-2009, 12:52 PM

kruggy1 is a jewel in the roughkruggy1 is a jewel in the roughkruggy1 is a jewel in the rough

Diver Dan your my hero, Im a big walleye fan and been fishing for them for 10-11yrs, so you using a fly rod is AWSOME. Im getting a 22ft boat soon and planing on using a fly rod when there in the shallows,during spring or fall. Please keep the pics and stories coming!!!
Old 07-09-2009, 02:02 PM
Banned

Guest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond repute

Thanks guys. Pacfancjh, that is the Rainy River. The picture is by the bridge that goes from Baudette, MN to Rainy River Ontario. That was the blackest Walleye I ever saw. mcnerney, here is a couple pictures of the spey rod. It is a 15' Meiser clearwater 8/9 wt. I made the handle with Leopard wood, African Blackwood, Blood wood and Maple. The feather inlay is a Wood Duck flank feather, Golden pheasant red tail feather (short one from the side) and a Jungle Cock nail. I'm going to get the film developed now so I can post a picture of the walleye tonight.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Meiser1tiny.JPG (57.4 KB, 123 views)
File Type: jpg Meiser3tiny.JPG (54.4 KB, 120 views)
Old 07-09-2009, 02:30 PM
Administrator

mcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by Diver Dan View Post
Thanks guys. Pacfancjh, that is the Rainy River. The picture is by the bridge that goes from Baudette, MN to Rainy River Ontario. That was the blackest Walleye I ever saw. mcnerney, here is a couple pictures of the spey rod. It is a 15' Meiser clearwater 8/9 wt. I made the handle with Leopard wood, African Blackwood, Blood wood and Maple. The feather inlay is a Wood Duck flank feather, Golden pheasant red tail feather (short one from the side) and a Jungle Cock nail. I'm going to get the film developed now so I can post a picture of the walleye tonight.
Wow! You did a fantastic job on the handle, very nice work indeed. Obviously, that wasn't your first time working with exotic wood. Thanks for posting that is a beautiful rod.

Larry
Old 07-09-2009, 02:42 PM

kruggy1 is a jewel in the roughkruggy1 is a jewel in the roughkruggy1 is a jewel in the rough

Beautiful spey rod, I take it 8/9wt is plenty for fishing deep water for eyes. What type of line setup are you using sinktips???
Old 07-09-2009, 06:11 PM
Banned

kruggy1, I'm using a 9/10 wt. Delta spey line and tying my leaders out of ANDE mono. I can already get more than 100' casts without working to hard at it. I was casting next to a wall at the park and measured a 126' cast. I just got the film back. Here is the fish.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 27walleye2.JPG (85.1 KB, 113 views)
Old 07-09-2009, 10:51 PM

NorthStar is on a distinguished road

Dan that is a heck of a walleye. I'm heading up to Canada in two weeks I'll do my best to top that but I'll be glad just to get any sized walleye on a fly.