The North American Fly Fishing Forum

Go Back   The North American Fly Fishing Forum > General Fly Fishing Discussion > General Discussion

General Discussion General discussions regarding fly fishing as a whole. Ask questions. Get answers...

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 02-15-2011, 02:30 PM

ausablebrown is a splendid one to beholdausablebrown is a splendid one to beholdausablebrown is a splendid one to beholdausablebrown is a splendid one to beholdausablebrown is a splendid one to beholdausablebrown is a splendid one to beholdausablebrown is a splendid one to beholdausablebrown is a splendid one to behold
Default How much $ to replace a Cork handle?

Just a quick question; how much (generally speaking) would my local rod builder charge to replace the cork handle on my rod? He's closed from Mon-Wed so I can't call him up, thought I might get an idea from you guys to know if he is reasonably priced or not. It is coming unglued and I am assuming that the solution would be to take it off and put a new cork handle on. Anyone got a rough estimate, or anyone rod/builders/repairers want to make me an offer?
-Jason
Old 02-15-2011, 03:05 PM

fredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: How much $ to replace a Cork handle?

Replacing the handle is not that big a job for someone who has the 'equipment' (lathe etc). What really costs is the quality of the cork you want to replace same with.

Cork ring is what, a half inch or less wide? But you can easily pay $2.00 per ring for AAAA quality.

fae
Old 02-15-2011, 03:10 PM

ausablebrown is a splendid one to beholdausablebrown is a splendid one to beholdausablebrown is a splendid one to beholdausablebrown is a splendid one to beholdausablebrown is a splendid one to beholdausablebrown is a splendid one to beholdausablebrown is a splendid one to beholdausablebrown is a splendid one to behold

Quote:
Originally Posted by fredaevans View Post
Replacing the handle is not that big a job for someone who has the 'equipment' (lathe etc). What really costs is the quality of the cork you want to replace same with.

Cork ring is what, a half inch or less wide? But you can easily pay $2.00 per ring for AAAA quality.

fae
So, you'd say there could be $20-30 in materials? Any idea how extensive the job is and what a reasonable price would be?
Old 02-15-2011, 03:20 PM

raindogt has much to be proud ofraindogt has much to be proud ofraindogt has much to be proud ofraindogt has much to be proud ofraindogt has much to be proud ofraindogt has much to be proud ofraindogt has much to be proud ofraindogt has much to be proud of

I may be wrong, But it is my understanding that the rod has to be stripped down (at least the butt section)-- and cork put on from the tip end. So, any guides will need to come off and re-wrapped after the cork replacement, the hook keeper, likewise, etc....

Could be costly.
Old 02-15-2011, 03:30 PM

fredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by ausablebrown View Post
So, you'd say there could be $20-30 in materials? Any idea how extensive the job is and what a reasonable price would be?
Jason, a few "x-factors" here.

The ".... $20-30 in materials?" suggests this is a small handle so taking off the old, and cleaning up the butt of the blank would only take a few minutes. Not that big of a job (again, if you have the proper equipment, which I'll assume he does). The other 'x-factor' is if he's got to pull off/re-wrap/coat the rod guides above so he can feed the corks down to re-build the handle. And I think I'm safe to say .. he will.

All that aside, one to two hours work on his part, start to finish. So his 'bid' will be 'time, materials, and profit.' Guys got to eat and pay his rent.

Fred
Old 02-15-2011, 03:35 PM

There are no guides on the butt section, but there is a hook keeper, and a nickel/silver ring that sits between the last section of cork and the rod.
Old 02-15-2011, 03:48 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ausablebrown View Post
There are no guides on the butt section, but there is a hook keeper, and a nickel/silver ring that sits between the last section of cork and the rod.
No guides? That's a bit odd, but what the heck. 'Usual' guide placement will have a 'gathering guide' about 24" up from the reel seat. But the ring your talking about cost 10-15 cents .. if you even want one.

That aside, save for a multi-multi-section 'travel rod,' I can't picture a rod with out at least one guide in the 'butt section.' What kind of rod do you have?

fae
Old 02-15-2011, 03:54 PM

Quote:
No guides? That's a bit odd, but what the heck. 'Usual' guide placement will have a 'gathering guide' about 24" up from the reel seat. But the ring your talking about cost 10-15 cents .. if you even want one.

That aside, save for a multi-multi-section 'travel rod,' I can't picture a rod with out at least one guide in the 'butt section.' What kind of rod do you have?

fae
BIIX 9' 4pc; you made me double check though, and there is no guide on the first section of rod.
Old 02-15-2011, 04:08 PM

Googled the rod, and so it would appear, very unusual .. but what do I know.

Is this the same one you put up for sale?: http://www.theflyfishingforum.com/fo...-wt-375-a.html
Old 02-15-2011, 04:18 PM

Quote:
Googled the rod, and so it would appear, very unusual .. but what do I know.

Is this the same one you put up for sale?: http://www.theflyfishingforum.com/fo...-wt-375-a.html
No, but oddly enough, I now may have two of them by a very strange turn of events. The new one; which I will again offer for sale if I can get this used one and be sure its not going to cost a fortune to fix the cork. I might just let it ride and fish with the cork how it is until something has to be done. It would probably fish a few years, just getting a little unglued around the top couple rings. I never thought I'd have one BIIX, let alone two...but the prices were too good to pass up