The North American Fly Fishing Forum

Go Back   The North American Fly Fishing Forum > General Fly Fishing Discussion > General Discussion

General Discussion General discussions regarding fly fishing as a whole. Ask questions. Get answers...

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 07-10-2009, 04:03 PM

Jer is on a distinguished road
Bought a Pontoon Boat today

Hey everyone , I just bought a Pontoon Boat ... the Creek Company ODC Sport XR... I Paid $209 for it at my local sporting goods store... I don't know too much about pontoon boats , wondering if anyones used one of these and or heard anything about them the good and bad...

I am heading to The John Day River in Oregon on Thursday the 16th for the weekend... I hear its one of the top Smallmouth Bass rivers in the US.. So hopefully I can hook into something on my new Fly Rod other than the bluegill I have caught out of my pond.
Old 07-10-2009, 04:24 PM

JoJer is a splendid one to beholdJoJer is a splendid one to beholdJoJer is a splendid one to beholdJoJer is a splendid one to beholdJoJer is a splendid one to beholdJoJer is a splendid one to beholdJoJer is a splendid one to behold
Default Re: Bought a Pontoon Boat today

Hey Jer,
I just looked at that boat on Creek Co.s site. It looks like you got a super deal on it! You don't say if this is your first "watercraft", but in case it is, I'd tell you to get some practice on flat water before you hit the river. Beware the wind: it can push you to places you don't want to go to or walk back from!! If they didn't throw in a PFD, get one and wear it. Good luck and tight lines!
Old 07-10-2009, 09:39 PM

goin2themountains is on a distinguished road

Congrats. I bought a Creek supersport 9 last week, and have had a fantastic time with it on small high country lakes. I agree with the other poster, get some flat water experience first. They do funky things with a little wind. Have fun.
Old 07-10-2009, 09:46 PM

mojo has a brilliant futuremojo has a brilliant futuremojo has a brilliant futuremojo has a brilliant futuremojo has a brilliant futuremojo has a brilliant futuremojo has a brilliant futuremojo has a brilliant futuremojo has a brilliant futuremojo has a brilliant futuremojo has a brilliant future

Ok, just a few things- basic. On some fishing sites, there are guys that buy kickboats and they seem to think it's rocket science.
It is not.
If you can chew gum and walk at the same time, if your IQ is higher than your fridge light bulb you will do just fine.
PFD- required on rivers to be worn. On stillwater, I guess it depends on the state you live in, but you still have to have one with you.
Fins? Stillwater yes, moving water- depends on the water.
Whistle, it's good advise to have a whistle.
If you take an anchor, take a sharp knife. To cut yourself loose from the rope if you get hung up.
Learn to use the oars. It's different rowing on moving water than stillwater.
If you can get to moving water, don't go balls out in class II or III or higher if you're not experienced. Rowing, facing downstream, is a whole different ballgame than rowing backwards. Turning is different- it's a muscle memory thing.

Take a hand pump with you and a patch kit. Just for Murphy's sake. You know Murphy.
Learn to properly inflate your toons. Underinflated are as bad as over inflated toons.
Like mentioned before- take it out on the water at least once (twice, three times etc. if you can) so you know what you are getting yourself into. You don't want any unnecessary suprises to come up on your trip.
You will understand on your maiden voyage what I'm getting at.

And stay away from big rocks and whitewater.

Other than that, have a great time.
Old 07-10-2009, 10:05 PM

MoscaPescador has a reputation beyond reputeMoscaPescador has a reputation beyond reputeMoscaPescador has a reputation beyond reputeMoscaPescador has a reputation beyond reputeMoscaPescador has a reputation beyond reputeMoscaPescador has a reputation beyond reputeMoscaPescador has a reputation beyond reputeMoscaPescador has a reputation beyond reputeMoscaPescador has a reputation beyond reputeMoscaPescador has a reputation beyond reputeMoscaPescador has a reputation beyond repute

I'm going one step forward to Mojo's response. Have a dry bag with an extra set of clothes. If you have an extra set of waders, pack them also. From time to time, people fall off of their pontoon boats. Waders fill up and clothing gets wet (yes, modern synthetics have an eventual saturation point). You are better off drying off and changing your clothes.

I know a couple of people who got bucked off their pontoons. They were happy that they had extra clothes.

MP
Old 07-11-2009, 12:20 AM

Jackster has a brilliant futureJackster has a brilliant futureJackster has a brilliant futureJackster has a brilliant futureJackster has a brilliant futureJackster has a brilliant futureJackster has a brilliant futureJackster has a brilliant futureJackster has a brilliant futureJackster has a brilliant futureJackster has a brilliant future

Two people mentioned the effect the wind might have on them... many of us use fins to hold or gain position in wind or currents.
This is where you will probably find the 'toon shines over canoe's and 'yaks... not swapping your fly rod for a paddle or oar all of the time.
Old 07-11-2009, 08:22 PM

Fly2Fish is a splendid one to beholdFly2Fish is a splendid one to beholdFly2Fish is a splendid one to beholdFly2Fish is a splendid one to beholdFly2Fish is a splendid one to beholdFly2Fish is a splendid one to beholdFly2Fish is a splendid one to beholdFly2Fish is a splendid one to behold

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jackster View Post
Two people mentioned the effect the wind might have on them... many of us use fins to hold or gain position in wind or currents.
This is where you will probably find the 'toon shines over canoe's and 'yaks... not swapping your fly rod for a paddle or oar all of the time.
Great point, Jackster. Convinced me the way to go re 'toons v. kayaks (canoes were never a contender; I'm unstable enough in them without the excitement of landing a fish).
Old 07-11-2009, 10:13 PM
Administrator

mcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fly2Fish View Post
Great point, Jackster. Convinced me the way to go re 'toons v. kayaks (canoes were never a contender; I'm unstable enough in them without the excitement of landing a fish).
I agree with you about canoes, but the other day I saw a guy fly fishing out of a canoe that had outriggers, I didn't get a close up view to see if it was homemade or possibly something he bought, but thought it was a good idea. Overall though I think a pontoon is a much better idea for fly fishing.

Larry
Old 07-12-2009, 09:56 AM

doc will become famous soon enough

Some great advise from everyone, Mojo is pretty much bang on but I would reverse his thoughts on fins. In moving water, fins are a must if you are fishing while drifting as this is the only way to steer while playing the fish. In stillwaters I rarely ever use my fins as I prefer anchoring down and find the fins just get in the way but will use them if I'm troll-casting.

Good advise on inflation as well. The biggest mistake new 'toon (and tube) owners make is under inflating their boats. I believe your pontoons have a nylon shell so they should be inflated enough to remove most of the wrinkles. If inflated properly, the pontoons should be very firm, with just a little give. Properly inflated pontoons will keep you higher out of the water, causing less drag on the float, and making it faster and easier to get around. If you plan on inflating them before you get to the water, keep in mind that both heat and altitude will expand your 'toons and you wouldn't want them to burst before you reach your destination.

Enjoy the new 'toon, hope it opens up a new world of opportunity for you

Cheers,
Doc
Old 07-12-2009, 10:04 AM

Jackster has a brilliant futureJackster has a brilliant futureJackster has a brilliant futureJackster has a brilliant futureJackster has a brilliant futureJackster has a brilliant futureJackster has a brilliant futureJackster has a brilliant futureJackster has a brilliant futureJackster has a brilliant futureJackster has a brilliant future

Quote:
Originally Posted by Doc View Post
In stillwaters I rarely ever use my fins
That's interesting as still water is where I find them extremely handy. As stated earlier, with the fins on the wind and current aren't an issue. On lakes and ponds I like to use them also to hold a perfect position perpendicular to the shore and to cruise likely fishing area's.
Understand that all of my pond and lake fishing is for warm water species so I spend a lot of time pounding the banks for fish.