The North American Fly Fishing Forum

Go Back   The North American Fly Fishing Forum > General Fly Fishing Discussion > General Discussion

General Discussion General discussions regarding fly fishing as a whole. Ask questions. Get answers...

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 02-16-2011, 02:30 AM

ChrisinselwynNZ has much to be proud ofChrisinselwynNZ has much to be proud ofChrisinselwynNZ has much to be proud ofChrisinselwynNZ has much to be proud ofChrisinselwynNZ has much to be proud ofChrisinselwynNZ has much to be proud ofChrisinselwynNZ has much to be proud ofChrisinselwynNZ has much to be proud of
Default Deeper in to the obession, furling my own.

After getting my bamboo rod the end of last week, I tested a few lines and came too the conclusion that it is a parabolic 6wt, it cast a beatuful line and even in very close (I havent tryed for more than 15-20').

The next step I figure is fureled leaders, so last night I made the jig recharged the battery drill (dont trust my power drill it is a monster), so making the first leader because I couldnt wait so long as to get to the store to get some mono or fluro to furl...... so I had a go with Uni thread, the first one no good i had not smoothed the tops of the dowells well enough and it broke a few strands, after the nececery mods round 2.

The second leader went very well and even looks good it took a while to get the loop at each end done properly but with practice it will be easy. I am of course suprised at how well thread turns over the guide I used stated that you should be able to lay a cast of the leader and tippet + fly out straight using your hand and it worked

I can see that I will be using this for many other requirements too

And a pic of the first one pink/red because if I made a hash of it I wont mind if it is thread I dont use much

Click the image to open in full size.

Chris

The New Zealand Flysite

"the fight is for habitait. Once its continuation is assured the fish will largely look after themselves." KD
Old 02-16-2011, 04:59 AM

fredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond repute
Thumbs up Re: Deeper in to the obession, furling my own.

Very Cool. From what I know of that type of leader, making one of your own is a 'labor of love.'

fae
Old 02-16-2011, 12:04 PM

raindogt has much to be proud ofraindogt has much to be proud ofraindogt has much to be proud ofraindogt has much to be proud ofraindogt has much to be proud ofraindogt has much to be proud ofraindogt has much to be proud ofraindogt has much to be proud of
Default Re: Deeper in to the obession, furling my own.

Very cool. Congrats on yet another thing to consume any specs of sanity you may have had left.

What kind of loop are you putting at the ends? Shorb? I ask because I'm not particularly fond of making the shorb loop-- love how they turn out, but hate making them... Wondering if there is a better method?
Old 02-16-2011, 01:14 PM

araitim is just really nicearaitim is just really nicearaitim is just really nicearaitim is just really nice

i use the shorb loop on mine and bought a little hooked needle called a splicing needle that has a flap that goes over it, it made the process very easy. Cortland makes one for $2 Cortland Splicing Needle / Fly Fishing Tools/Gadgets/Doo-Dads - Quality Fishing Flies - Your Fly Fishing and Equipment Superstore!
Old 02-17-2011, 12:15 AM

ChrisinselwynNZ has much to be proud ofChrisinselwynNZ has much to be proud ofChrisinselwynNZ has much to be proud ofChrisinselwynNZ has much to be proud ofChrisinselwynNZ has much to be proud ofChrisinselwynNZ has much to be proud ofChrisinselwynNZ has much to be proud ofChrisinselwynNZ has much to be proud of

Quote:
Originally Posted by raindogt View Post
Very cool. Congrats on yet another thing to consume any specs of sanity you may have had left.

What kind of loop are you putting at the ends? Shorb? I ask because I'm not particularly fond of making the shorb loop-- love how they turn out, but hate making them... Wondering if there is a better method?
Yes it is the shrob loop, I need the splicing tool it is hard with out it
my first loop is not as good as the second but thet look nice

Chris

The New Zealand Flysite

"the fight is for habitait. Once its continuation is assured the fish will largely look after themselves." KD
Old 02-17-2011, 12:20 AM

caseywise has a reputation beyond reputecaseywise has a reputation beyond reputecaseywise has a reputation beyond reputecaseywise has a reputation beyond reputecaseywise has a reputation beyond reputecaseywise has a reputation beyond reputecaseywise has a reputation beyond reputecaseywise has a reputation beyond reputecaseywise has a reputation beyond reputecaseywise has a reputation beyond reputecaseywise has a reputation beyond repute
Send a message via Yahoo to caseywise

i buy my furled leaders from joni.

ARFE
Old 02-17-2011, 09:40 AM

araitim is just really nicearaitim is just really nicearaitim is just really nicearaitim is just really nice

before i got the hook needle i was using tweezers, its alot easier with the hook needle
Old 02-17-2011, 12:37 PM
Administrator

mcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond repute

Chris: Nice work, but I'm with Casey, I just buy my furled leaders from Joni.

Larry

Old 02-18-2011, 09:58 AM

gordon in nc has a spectacular aura aboutgordon in nc has a spectacular aura aboutgordon in nc has a spectacular aura about

Quote:
Originally Posted by mcnerney View Post
Chris: Nice work, but I'm with Casey, I just buy my furled leaders from Joni.

Larry
Wow, that does look nice .. but, I gotta ask ... "buy from Joni" .. more info please ...

Thanks!

Gordon in NC
Old 02-18-2011, 10:04 AM

Joni on this forum makes and sells furled leareds.