The North American Fly Fishing Forum

Go Back   The North American Fly Fishing Forum > General Fly Fishing Discussion > General Discussion

General Discussion General discussions regarding fly fishing as a whole. Ask questions. Get answers...

Closed Thread

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 04-12-2006, 12:14 PM
Administrator

Fish Bones has a spectacular aura aboutFish Bones has a spectacular aura aboutFish Bones has a spectacular aura about
Send a message via AIM to Fish Bones
Default Elkhorn Fly Rods

Hi Everyone,

This is an old thread from 2006. Elkhorn is no longer a sponsor of NAFFF. I just wanted to clarify the situation and not put out false information about a dealer.

Frank
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Elkhorn Image 150.jpg (12.2 KB, 512 views)

Last edited by Frank Whiton; 09-20-2009 at 05:24 PM.
Old 04-12-2006, 12:44 PM
Super Moderator

BigCliff has a brilliant futureBigCliff has a brilliant futureBigCliff has a brilliant futureBigCliff has a brilliant futureBigCliff has a brilliant futureBigCliff has a brilliant futureBigCliff has a brilliant futureBigCliff has a brilliant futureBigCliff has a brilliant futureBigCliff has a brilliant futureBigCliff has a brilliant future
Default Re: Elkhorn Fly Rods - New Corporate Member

Glad to have them! Need to give one of their rods a try sometime.

I'd rather hunt fish than bait deer any day.
Old 04-12-2006, 11:29 PM
Joni has a reputation beyond reputeJoni has a reputation beyond reputeJoni has a reputation beyond reputeJoni has a reputation beyond reputeJoni has a reputation beyond reputeJoni has a reputation beyond reputeJoni has a reputation beyond reputeJoni has a reputation beyond reputeJoni has a reputation beyond reputeJoni has a reputation beyond reputeJoni has a reputation beyond repute

My brother bought an Elkhorn and loved it till he broke the tip off (frozen guides)
Make a great line of rods for the money consious fly fisherman.
Checked out their bamboo at the Expo, if they could lighten that thing up it would be a heck of a deal.
Old 04-12-2006, 11:37 PM
Administrator

Fish Bones has a spectacular aura aboutFish Bones has a spectacular aura aboutFish Bones has a spectacular aura about
Send a message via AIM to Fish Bones

I personally own an Elkhorn Traveler 2wt 4pc. Its one of my favorite and most used fly rods ever. Elkhorn makes wonderful small stream rods.

I also own a 5wt 7pc. Its a great pack rod... it'll fit just about anywhere.

Elkhorn fly rods are an exceptional value. They offer great rods at a very good price. Plus... they come with a lifetime warranty.

Oh yea... have seen their new fly reels? Very, very nice!!!

Check'em out at www.elkhornflyrods.com or give'em a call... ask for Brian... tell him the forum sent you.

Old 04-13-2006, 06:36 AM

JBinUTAH will become famous soon enoughJBinUTAH will become famous soon enough

Welcome Elkhorn. You make some great rods!!
Old 07-28-2009, 08:56 AM

Fly Fishing Crazy is on a distinguished road

Read more about Elkhorn's product line at Fly Fishing CRAZY Blog.
Old 08-03-2009, 01:06 AM

flyguy66 is a glorious beacon of lightflyguy66 is a glorious beacon of lightflyguy66 is a glorious beacon of lightflyguy66 is a glorious beacon of lightflyguy66 is a glorious beacon of light

Glad to have Brian and the Elkhorn brand represented here.

I am an Elkhorn Field Staffer. If any of you know who Don Simonson is (FFF Certified Casting Instructor Program Board of Governors from the Pacific Northwest), he is also an Elkhorn Field Staffer.

I am convinced that you cannot touch Elkhorn's value for the $$$ in the small stream and trout/panfish categories. The Big Game series of rods are performance compatible (weight, strength, durability, sensitivity, taper, etc.) to the TFO TiCr or TiCrX, but they are of a nicer finish and superior hardware. And...like all Elkhorn rods...they come with a very nice rod tube. So this series is also a fantastic value for the $$$. I just wish they came in a 4-pc. They are 3-pc rods, which only bothers me because the bag I check when I fly isn't long enough to fit the 3-pc 9' rods.

Elkhorn's reels are terrific. They're probably under-priced by at least 50%. I recently had 1 stolen and I was depressed for a month until I was able to replace it.

Elkhorn Fly Rods and Reels is a part of the Elkhorn Fly Shop in Loveland, CO. It is a brick-and-mortar independent fly shop located in a strip mall off of West 1st Street and Taft. The owner, Brian Chavet, has NO employees...but is looking for one due to steady growth in demand over the past couple of years. The flies, the rods, the reels, and the fly lines in Brian's shop are HIS. He doesn't sell other brands. And the stuff is steadily going out the door all day every day in a stream of walk-in customers and UPS/FEDEX/USPS drivers.
UPSTREAM, publisher
Fly Fishing News, columnist
Old 08-15-2009, 08:16 AM

mightyhunter is on a distinguished road

I purchased an Elkhorn 9 ft. EX3 direct from the company. The rod handled all right and was to be used as a backup. I had repeated problems with tip section breakage (3 times). Mind you this is a backup rod. I talked to Brian about it the second time (2009) and he was extremely defensive. He accused me of abusing the rod. I told him I didn't use weighted flies or shot. Most of my flyfishing was with drys and small nymphs. I hadn't used the rod for chuck and duck fly fishing (heavily weighted flys) of any kind. He still insisted it was my fault. The customer service is not what I expected. It costs you about $ 50.00 every time a section breaks which includes postage each way. I received a third tip section (2009) and used the rod twice for a few hours in total and the new tip section broke yet another time. I was using a hopper and a 5 WF Rio floating line. I returned the rod and told them to keep it. My son also has an EX 3 and had to replace the tip section the first year of use. Just not what I expected.
Old 08-15-2009, 07:25 PM

flyguy66 is a glorious beacon of lightflyguy66 is a glorious beacon of lightflyguy66 is a glorious beacon of lightflyguy66 is a glorious beacon of lightflyguy66 is a glorious beacon of light

i'm not trying to say that anything you've said here isn't true or valid at all. so don't take it that way. but anybody who breaks ANY mainstream fly rod makers' rod tip sections as much as you are can't blame the product or the maker. thousands of people use elkhorn rods with opposite results from yours. i've never broken one...even when i should have.

there are plenty of things other than shot and weighted flies that will put stress cracks and chips in a rod tip that will later cause it to blow out under stress: just the hook colliding with the rod tip, fly line colliding with it, hitting it against a boat, car, tree, pole, another rod, etc...poor storage and handling habits. transporting an assembled rod in such a way that it vibrates against anything will sometimes weaken a tip (in the car or boat short distances and so forth while fishing). last but not least is poor fish playing skills and there is always the possibility of a serious casting flaw.

i looked through brian's customer service "problems" when i was there a few weeks ago. first of all, there were very few. second, they were mostly rude and demanding free replacements from the git-go (when the warranty policy has handling fees). third, i've known brian for a LONG time. he's one of the most reasonable guys on earth. but i looked at some of the returned rods, and you can tell from examining a rod what kind of use it has seen. brian OFTEN just caves when he knows he's right and replaces things free of charge anyway. but everybody has to draw a line somewhere. 3-4 tip sections in a year is about where i'd draw the line, too. that's not the rod, dude.
UPSTREAM, publisher
Fly Fishing News, columnist
Old 08-16-2009, 08:45 AM

schrob is on a distinguished road

Wanted to build a rod for my daughter and they were the only one with with the color blank that I knew she would like. Got the matching reel and at the time was not concerned about how good it was but after recieving it and giving it a try I have to say its as smooth as my Abel, don't overlook their reels. They have some great colored blanks for the builders who want to make something special for the lady's.
Click the image to open in full size.
Closed Thread