The North American Fly Fishing Forum

Go Back   The North American Fly Fishing Forum > General Fly Fishing Discussion > General Discussion

General Discussion General discussions regarding fly fishing as a whole. Ask questions. Get answers...

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 07-11-2009, 01:45 PM

Tommyguy288 is on a distinguished road
Default Hey, I'm new and need some help

Hello everyone, I'm new to this forum and fairly new to fly fishing. I thought I'd just introduce myself. My name is Tommy, I'm 19 and from Minnesota. I also have a question. I have been fly fishing for about 2 or 3 years and I still don't have any sort of knowledge on how to catch a trout. I have hooked them, but never landed one and I'm not really sure the tactics I should use when I come to a stream or what flies I should try out first. I have gone to casting clinics and I feel pretty confident in that area. My question is how do I learn how to catch trout? Are there any books that would be helpful?

Thanks,
Tommy
Old 07-11-2009, 03:05 PM
Administrator

Frank Whiton has a reputation beyond reputeFrank Whiton has a reputation beyond reputeFrank Whiton has a reputation beyond reputeFrank Whiton has a reputation beyond reputeFrank Whiton has a reputation beyond reputeFrank Whiton has a reputation beyond reputeFrank Whiton has a reputation beyond reputeFrank Whiton has a reputation beyond reputeFrank Whiton has a reputation beyond reputeFrank Whiton has a reputation beyond reputeFrank Whiton has a reputation beyond repute
Send a message via Skype™ to Frank Whiton
Default Re: Hey, I'm new and need some help

Hi Tommy,

I think you will find Lefty Kreh's Ultimate Guide to Fly Fishing a very good book to start with. I like it because it touches on most aspects of fly fishing for Trout and some Saltwater.

If you really want to learn a lot in a short time hire a guide for one or two days. A guide can point out any problems with your gear and rigging. He help you read water and how to make drag free drifts. I don't believe there is any better way to learn unless it was a school. Another good way to learn is to find a FFF or Trout Unlimited club and join. Most clubs have members that work with beginners.

Frank

Ultimate Guide to Fly Fishing
Click the image to open in full size.
Old 07-11-2009, 03:11 PM
Super Moderator

jpbfly has a reputation beyond reputejpbfly has a reputation beyond reputejpbfly has a reputation beyond reputejpbfly has a reputation beyond reputejpbfly has a reputation beyond reputejpbfly has a reputation beyond reputejpbfly has a reputation beyond reputejpbfly has a reputation beyond reputejpbfly has a reputation beyond reputejpbfly has a reputation beyond reputejpbfly has a reputation beyond repute

Hi Tommy welcome here,you could also ask if there's someone from the forum in your area who could give you a hand....I would have been glad to do it...but I'm a bit too far.
Old 07-11-2009, 10:32 PM
Administrator

mcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond repute

Tommy: Most fly shops will post river reports with suggested flies to use, if you have a local fly shop that should help some in selecting flies. Get Lefty's book and read it thoroughly and like Frank has suggested try to find a local fly fishing club, stop in at your local fly shop and ask if there is a club in the local area. If not ask them if one of their customers might be interested in becoming a mentor for you in fly fishing.

Larry
Old 07-12-2009, 09:28 AM

FrankB2 has a reputation beyond reputeFrankB2 has a reputation beyond reputeFrankB2 has a reputation beyond reputeFrankB2 has a reputation beyond reputeFrankB2 has a reputation beyond reputeFrankB2 has a reputation beyond reputeFrankB2 has a reputation beyond reputeFrankB2 has a reputation beyond reputeFrankB2 has a reputation beyond reputeFrankB2 has a reputation beyond reputeFrankB2 has a reputation beyond repute

Hi Tommy,
If you're hooking trout, but not landing them, is it possible that your hooks are
dull? Most of the loose flies you can buy a a real fly shop are tied on good hooks, but the pre-packaged stuff from Walmart, etc has dull hooks. If you
loosing them at the net, that can be a little tricky, but easily solved. Let
us know how they're getting away .
Old 07-12-2009, 02:09 PM

Mnflyfish is just really niceMnflyfish is just really niceMnflyfish is just really niceMnflyfish is just really nice

Welcome Tommy!
What past of MN are you from? I am in the far SE, about an hour south and east of Rochester. If you are nearby maybe we can get in some fishin' this summer.
Old 07-12-2009, 10:48 PM

NorthStar is on a distinguished road

Another Minnesota welcome Tommy. I'm in the Twin Cities, let me know if you want to ever get out and fish. That goes for any of you Minnesota guys. Just let me know.
Old 07-14-2009, 09:40 PM

Tommyguy288 is on a distinguished road

Hey thank you so much for all the help. All of the advice helped. I'll for sure get Lefty's book and look to join a club or talk to some guys at the local fly shop. Thank you for all of the offers to help me out, I'll have to take some of you up on those. Thanks again!

Tommy