The North American Fly Fishing Forum

Go Back   The North American Fly Fishing Forum > General Fly Fishing Discussion > General Discussion

General Discussion General discussions regarding fly fishing as a whole. Ask questions. Get answers...

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 07-12-2009, 05:47 PM

pdq 5oh is a jewel in the roughpdq 5oh is a jewel in the roughpdq 5oh is a jewel in the rough
Default First Fish on New Rods

After getting my ZXL and finding what a real pleasure premium rods are to fish, I decided to upgrade two others. I got a Sage SLT to fish bass and steelhead, and a Hardy Flyweight for small creeks and bluegills. Though the bluegills in my pond put quite a bend in my 4 wt rod.
The ZXL is an 8', 4 wt. This rod is simply incredible. It's perfectly matched to my casting style. I can cast accurately in close and put out more line than I'll ever need to where I fish. I finally got to break it in on trout, yesterday. 6 healthy, chunky browns. Nothing big, but all fun.
The SLT is a 9', 7 wt. Figuring it was replaced by the ZXL, I expected it to cast somewhat similarly. It's a bit faster, IMO. The bass I caught was one of the better ones in my pond, though not the "owner" as we call one very big bass that dominates the pond. I'm really going to like steelheading with the SLT.
The Hardy rod is a 6', 2 wt. This rod was a pleasant surprise. It's got a very slow action with enough backbone to handle the bass I got with it. Luckily it's a smaller one I caught on a beetle imitation fishing for bluegills. Casting in close will be no problem, and putting out 30 or so ft of line can be done easily enough.
Here are pics of the first fish caught on each rod. The bluegill is typical of the size I have. He was the second fish on the Hardy.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg bass zxl.jpg (100.0 KB, 62 views)
File Type: jpg bass slt.jpg (103.6 KB, 60 views)
File Type: jpg bass hardy.jpg (104.0 KB, 59 views)
File Type: jpg bg hardy 2.jpg (103.1 KB, 57 views)
Old 07-12-2009, 09:40 PM

MoscaPescador has a reputation beyond reputeMoscaPescador has a reputation beyond reputeMoscaPescador has a reputation beyond reputeMoscaPescador has a reputation beyond reputeMoscaPescador has a reputation beyond reputeMoscaPescador has a reputation beyond reputeMoscaPescador has a reputation beyond reputeMoscaPescador has a reputation beyond reputeMoscaPescador has a reputation beyond reputeMoscaPescador has a reputation beyond reputeMoscaPescador has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: First Fish on New Rods

Good job catching those fish. It's always great taking out the new gear.

MP
Old 07-12-2009, 10:42 PM

pdq 5oh is a jewel in the roughpdq 5oh is a jewel in the roughpdq 5oh is a jewel in the rough

Thanks. I AM having fun. And I appreciate the prior info re: rods.
Old 07-12-2009, 11:07 PM

FrankB2 has a reputation beyond reputeFrankB2 has a reputation beyond reputeFrankB2 has a reputation beyond reputeFrankB2 has a reputation beyond reputeFrankB2 has a reputation beyond reputeFrankB2 has a reputation beyond reputeFrankB2 has a reputation beyond reputeFrankB2 has a reputation beyond reputeFrankB2 has a reputation beyond reputeFrankB2 has a reputation beyond reputeFrankB2 has a reputation beyond repute

The ZXL's are nice rods! All I managed this weekend was a mess of bluegill.
That's what we were fishing for, so I guess I shouldn't complain.

An 8' 4wt sounds like a decent configuration.