The North American Fly Fishing Forum

Go Back   The North American Fly Fishing Forum > General Fly Fishing Discussion > General Discussion

General Discussion General discussions regarding fly fishing as a whole. Ask questions. Get answers...

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 07-12-2009, 07:36 PM

Ringo is on a distinguished road
Send a message via AIM to Ringo
Default Taking apart a reel..?

Hey all,

So after mentioning to my old man a while back that my interest in flyfishing has been rekindled, he set about getting all of his old gear together. I made out after the weekend with a nice fly tying kit and a rod/reel that belonged to my grandfather. Now, the downside is that I know I'm going to have to replace the rod, but I think the reel is salvagable. It shows a little wear, but still spins/clicks freely and seems to have no major mechanical issues. What I would like to do is take it apart and give it a good cleaning, then put it back together. The construction doesn't seem too terrible, but I've never done it before. I don't want to take this thing apart and be looking at a swiss clock. ALSO - what is good cleaning media for this type of thing? Dish soap and a soft toothbrush? Soak in something? Anybody?

-R.
Old 07-12-2009, 09:37 PM

MoscaPescador has a reputation beyond reputeMoscaPescador has a reputation beyond reputeMoscaPescador has a reputation beyond reputeMoscaPescador has a reputation beyond reputeMoscaPescador has a reputation beyond reputeMoscaPescador has a reputation beyond reputeMoscaPescador has a reputation beyond reputeMoscaPescador has a reputation beyond reputeMoscaPescador has a reputation beyond reputeMoscaPescador has a reputation beyond reputeMoscaPescador has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Taking apart a reel..?

Sometimes it's cool to use old school reels. It's getting trendy for guys to use Pflueger Medalist reels. I don't know what kind of reel that you have. But you can post pictures, so we can have a better understanding.

MP
Old 07-13-2009, 07:38 AM

Merlin is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ringo View Post
Hey all,

So after mentioning to my old man a while back that my interest in flyfishing has been rekindled, he set about getting all of his old gear together. I made out after the weekend with a nice fly tying kit and a rod/reel that belonged to my grandfather. Now, the downside is that I know I'm going to have to replace the rod, but I think the reel is salvagable. It shows a little wear, but still spins/clicks freely and seems to have no major mechanical issues. What I would like to do is take it apart and give it a good cleaning, then put it back together. The construction doesn't seem too terrible, but I've never done it before. I don't want to take this thing apart and be looking at a swiss clock. ALSO - what is good cleaning media for this type of thing? Dish soap and a soft toothbrush? Soak in something? Anybody?

-R.
You might want to do a search on the net and see if parts are available. If not and it ain't broke, don't fix it!
If you can find parts and want to proceed, spray screws with penetrating oil and let reel sit for a day. Proceed with a good set of screw drivers and it is best to take apart in a big transparent bag, that your hands of course will fit in because most likely a spring or screw will go flying.
You can clean parts with any kind of solvent and soft brush or even a q-tip.

Hint: if it looks complicated which I doubt with a fly reel you can take photos on the way in so you can refer to them if you get stuck putting it back together.

Good Luck!
Old 07-13-2009, 08:06 AM

Rip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond repute

What you want to do is take the reel apart as much as you're comfortable with and wipe it down with a paper towel and a tooth brush
Prepare a bath of 4 parts warm water to 1 part vinegar and soak the reel for no more than 30-45 minutes. Any more than that will take the paint off.
Rinse in running water. Then soak again in water with a drop of dish soap.
At this point any tar and other filth should brush right off with the tooth brush
Rinse again.
Now you may want to apply a little floor wax or silicone and then reassemble.
When dry you'll need to lightly lube the spindle and moving parts with some reel lube such as Quantum Hot Sauce or Penn Reel Oil.

.....what's wrong with the rod ? I wouldn't give up on it too fast.
What brand and models are the rod and reel ?
Old 07-14-2009, 09:30 AM

Hey guys, thanks for the tips.

I tried to take some pics of the rod/reel, but my camera decided this was the morning to **** out on me.

The reel is a pflueger medalist attached to a rod that has long since had the brand scraped - all it says is "Mustang" on it. The setup is pretty straightforward, I think. A few flathead screws hold the assembly in place and I think today I'm going to give it a shot. I'll report results.

-R.
Old 07-14-2009, 10:43 AM

Rip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond repute

Like Merlin mentioned, watch out for flying springs
The one under the spool latch cover is safe for the most part, but the spring under the ratchet (on the spindle) will want to fly
There's also a third spring behind the 'male' looking part on the back of the spool. You can't physically get to this, but it should be oiled anyway
Click the image to open in full size.
Old 07-18-2009, 08:59 PM

Ran into a little hitch in my giddy-up. I don't have a screwdriver (currently) small enough to unscrew the pins in the reel housing. Does anyone know if you need specialized tools, or just really small ones?

-R.
Old 07-19-2009, 06:48 AM

No special tools....just the correct sized screwdriver.
Don't use the jeweler/ eyeglass size, those are much too small