The North American Fly Fishing Forum

Go Back   The North American Fly Fishing Forum > General Fly Fishing Discussion > General Discussion

General Discussion General discussions regarding fly fishing as a whole. Ask questions. Get answers...

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 02-17-2011, 10:01 AM

tommyfost is on a distinguished road
Default Proper Chest Pack for the Job

Hey guys, I'm new here and have a question about chest packs. I am going on a backpacking trip this summer and was having a logistical dilemma while planning. I have my backpack, my day pack, and my hip pack. That's a lot of extra weight and just plain **** to have dangling hanging or swinging. I figure the hip pack would have to go. I was wondering if there was a small chest pack that can hold tippets, leaders, and 2 or 3 fly-boxes? The stinger is that it can be worn along with a backpack. I do not intend on buying another backpack or a chest pack with a day pack attached (I have enough day-packs already).

Thanks guys,
Tommy
Old 02-17-2011, 10:21 AM

Bigfly has much to be proud ofBigfly has much to be proud ofBigfly has much to be proud ofBigfly has much to be proud ofBigfly has much to be proud ofBigfly has much to be proud ofBigfly has much to be proud ofBigfly has much to be proud ofBigfly has much to be proud ofBigfly has much to be proud of
Send a message via AIM to Bigfly
Default Re: Proper Chest Pack for the Job

Tommy, welcome. Been down this path!!
Are there D-rings on your backpack straps in front?
I don't like any weight on my neck while hiking.
It can cripple you in short order. A trip end-er, really.
Many people make packs that have attachment points that will allow you to easy on/off.
I do like to add a quick release on one side or the other, for crossing streams.
Fish pond Co. makes several fanny/chest packs that do. Good stuff, you will use it for many years to come.
You can also lash it to the back of the pack when just hiking, and not needed for a quick strike. Then add a neck strap for fishing without the pack.
Where are you headed?

Jim

Bigfly
Old 02-17-2011, 10:24 AM

kglissmeyer1 has a reputation beyond reputekglissmeyer1 has a reputation beyond reputekglissmeyer1 has a reputation beyond reputekglissmeyer1 has a reputation beyond reputekglissmeyer1 has a reputation beyond reputekglissmeyer1 has a reputation beyond reputekglissmeyer1 has a reputation beyond reputekglissmeyer1 has a reputation beyond reputekglissmeyer1 has a reputation beyond reputekglissmeyer1 has a reputation beyond reputekglissmeyer1 has a reputation beyond repute

Tommy, here's one that I own and like for going minimal:

Click the image to open in full size.

May Fly™ Pouch Lanyard, Men's Fishing Vests, Chest & Fanny Packs, Tackle Storage, Fishing : Cabelas.com

Kelly.
Old 02-17-2011, 11:51 AM

o mykiss is a jewel in the rougho mykiss is a jewel in the rougho mykiss is a jewel in the rougho mykiss is a jewel in the rough

tommy, i currently use william joseph's "current" pack.... one word to describe it: FRICKINAWESOME!!!.... it's got a magnet closure system that snaps shut... no zippers to deal with... right now, mine holds one big fly box with all my northern pike flies and then a smaller fly box with all my dry flies and nymphs... and there's still room for a FLASK of Maker's Mark (or your thirst quencher/warmth inducer of choice)... and then a bunch of other pockets for tippets, extra leaders, strike indicators, etc..... i LOVE my chest pack. it's a little on the pricey side ($80+, i believe) but for me, it is worth it.

Old 02-17-2011, 12:24 PM

tommyfost is on a distinguished road

Thanks for such quick responses. I like both of those suggestions. I really like the idea of something I can just clip on the my day pack straps. When I'm not using my day pack I will still use my hip pack.
Old 02-17-2011, 03:30 PM

Vans has much to be proud ofVans has much to be proud ofVans has much to be proud ofVans has much to be proud ofVans has much to be proud ofVans has much to be proud ofVans has much to be proud ofVans has much to be proud of

I use an Orvis chest pack...

Mesh-Back Chest Pack

Love it. Very comfortable with plenty of room for all the things i need for hours on the water, plus some. Lots of attachment points for all the doodads and thingamabobbers we like to pack around with us.
Old 02-17-2011, 04:41 PM

dean_mt has a brilliant futuredean_mt has a brilliant futuredean_mt has a brilliant futuredean_mt has a brilliant futuredean_mt has a brilliant futuredean_mt has a brilliant futuredean_mt has a brilliant futuredean_mt has a brilliant futuredean_mt has a brilliant futuredean_mt has a brilliant futuredean_mt has a brilliant future

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bigfly View Post
Tommy, welcome. Been down this path!!
Are there D-rings on your backpack straps in front?
I don't like any weight on my neck while hiking.
It can cripple you in short order. A trip end-er, really.
Many people make packs that have attachment points that will allow you to easy on/off.
I do like to add a quick release on one side or the other, for crossing streams.
Fish pond Co. makes several fanny/chest packs that do. Good stuff, you will use it for many years to come.
You can also lash it to the back of the pack when just hiking, and not needed for a quick strike. Then add a neck strap for fishing without the pack.
Where are you headed?

Jim
The quest continues! I agree with Jim. There are a lot of good and different packs/chest packs/waist packs etc. but for what you are talking about it takes a different animal. You are going to be wearing a full backpack to get into the backcountry, is that right? If your pack has D-rings on the upper portion of the shoulder straps - and most do (it wouldn't be too difficult to sew a set on either) - take a look at this:
Eberlestock MultiPouch

Eberlestock is a great company and makes some excellent gear. And the beauty of this little bag is the way you can securely attach it to the outside of your backpack when you're just covering miles, it is out of the way, not hanging off the pack or swinging around and doesn't take up space in your pack!

It is not a fishing pack, per say. But will do exactly what you want, carry a fly box, some spools and necessary tools. After all, you are going deep and probably need less flies and need to go light, that is part of the fun of getting to remote fishing waters!

I bought the Multi-pack to clip onto my hunting day pack to carry binos, gps, and a powerbar. I got really sick of binos banging against my sternum and not having a few necessities immediately in reach. I used it last fall for hunting and like it. I fully plan on clipping to a day pack for fishing excursions or even onto a small camel back for everyday fishing. I think it is going to be perfect.
Old 02-17-2011, 05:58 PM

littledavid123 has a reputation beyond reputelittledavid123 has a reputation beyond reputelittledavid123 has a reputation beyond reputelittledavid123 has a reputation beyond reputelittledavid123 has a reputation beyond reputelittledavid123 has a reputation beyond reputelittledavid123 has a reputation beyond reputelittledavid123 has a reputation beyond reputelittledavid123 has a reputation beyond reputelittledavid123 has a reputation beyond reputelittledavid123 has a reputation beyond repute

Why not just a fishing shirt with lots of pockets and maybe a lanyard. Take one decent fly box and a small one to load up for the days fishing. The shirt will weigh almost nothing and will store most of the stuff ready to go.

Dave
Old 02-17-2011, 06:19 PM

JoJer is a splendid one to beholdJoJer is a splendid one to beholdJoJer is a splendid one to beholdJoJer is a splendid one to beholdJoJer is a splendid one to beholdJoJer is a splendid one to beholdJoJer is a splendid one to behold

I have an old Willly J that I bought at sportsman's because it was only 12 bucks. It's probably most like their "Amp" pack, except mine has a million zippers. I used it as a loaner when I had newbies fishing with me who didn't have their own gear.
Last year I used it on a steelhead trip because I knew I'd be climbing aroud and didn't want the whole vest. Size-wise it's fine. It can carry all you need to fish. Unlike the newer Amp, mine has D rings at all four corners and two straps with snap hooks. I just noticed it also has belt loops on the back. Very early on I discovered I could not climb or fish with this thing anywhere in front of me. Most folks can. I just can't. It was easy to rearrange the straps to wear it on a hip on on my back.
I can see this as being one of those items you might want to look for on Craigs list.
Old 02-20-2011, 08:37 AM

oldman50 is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by littledavid123 View Post
Why not just a fishing shirt with lots of pockets and maybe a lanyard. Take one decent fly box and a small one to load up for the days fishing. The shirt will weigh almost nothing and will store most of the stuff ready to go.

Dave
That's how I go when I want to go light. I'm an old school vest guy but find myself going to my fishing shirt more and more.