The North American Fly Fishing Forum

Go Back   The North American Fly Fishing Forum > General Fly Fishing Discussion > General Discussion

General Discussion General discussions regarding fly fishing as a whole. Ask questions. Get answers...

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 02-17-2011, 01:38 PM

outfortrout is on a distinguished road
Default New Trout Fly Rod Search

Greetings All,
First, from Frank's post - a little background. NC mountain streams as well as Colorado, Wyoming rivers. If it is a trout, I want my chance
I am in the market for a new Trout Fly Rod. It has come the time to retire the Sage 586DS of 15 years. I am looking at the Sage Flight 590-4 - the Z Axis is nice, but 700 bones is over excessive, I have looked into the Ross Essence Elite ( since I have a Ross reel) but their rods " Ross Worldwide" from what I've read are a Chinese product.
Question is - Does anyone have any experience with the Sage Flight series? or the Ross?
Old 02-17-2011, 01:53 PM

Bigfly has a brilliant futureBigfly has a brilliant futureBigfly has a brilliant futureBigfly has a brilliant futureBigfly has a brilliant futureBigfly has a brilliant futureBigfly has a brilliant futureBigfly has a brilliant futureBigfly has a brilliant futureBigfly has a brilliant futureBigfly has a brilliant future
Send a message via AIM to Bigfly
Default Re: New Trout Fly Rod Search

Oft, welcome, yes I have some experience with sage. Ha.
The Flight is a fine rod. Honestly, the DS was a bit soft for my tastes, and is even softer after 15 yrs of use. The flight a tad heavier than the Z-axis, and not as fast in action.
You didn't say if it's for dryfly, or bobbercating?
Suck it up price wise. It is a lifetime warranty right?
I recommend finding a used Z (on line) for dries (or some indy fishing), and look into their 99 for pure Indy style.
The 6wt 99 rocks, with it's oversize guides, and stiffness.
I don't care to offend anybody, but I like rods made here.
Good luck in the search!!

Jim

Bigfly
Old 02-17-2011, 01:54 PM

ausablebrown is a splendid one to beholdausablebrown is a splendid one to beholdausablebrown is a splendid one to beholdausablebrown is a splendid one to beholdausablebrown is a splendid one to beholdausablebrown is a splendid one to beholdausablebrown is a splendid one to beholdausablebrown is a splendid one to behold

I cast a flight in a shorter 4 wt. It felt heavy and the handle felt very large. I went and checked the specs on some other rods and the Flight is a fairly heavy stick. Many 9'5wt rods are sub 3 oz now, and not just the super expensive ones. The Flight 9'5wt is 3 7/16. Not that it has to be light to be good, but my first impression of the flight was big handle, heavy rod. At that weight, it is one of the heaviest rods on the market. It cast pretty nice, crisp fast action on the little 4 wt I cast.

If you want USA made the St. Croix Avid would probably cast a little like your old med action DS, and the Scott A3 would be a little faster; I really like the way my A3 casts. Both comparable price to the Flight.
Old 02-17-2011, 02:48 PM

idaho fisherman is on a distinguished road

I agree with ausablebrown. The St. Croix Avid is a smooth casting, well made rod that is American made. I would class it as a moderate action. I have also fished with my buddy's St. Croix Imperial and thought it was a good casting rod although a little faster than the Avid. It is made in Mexico and looked to be of good quality. I have also cast the St. Croix Legend ultra, another buddy owns one. It is also made in the US and has a nice smooth casting action that I would call a medium fast. I don't mean to be a St. Croix salesman, but these are well made, good rods that are in the price range you mentioned.
Old 02-17-2011, 03:59 PM
Administrator

mcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond repute

You might also take a look at the new Nano-ti rods from Justin at Allen Fly Fishing: Allen Fly Fishing

Larry

Old 02-17-2011, 04:04 PM

ausablebrown is a splendid one to beholdausablebrown is a splendid one to beholdausablebrown is a splendid one to beholdausablebrown is a splendid one to beholdausablebrown is a splendid one to beholdausablebrown is a splendid one to beholdausablebrown is a splendid one to beholdausablebrown is a splendid one to behold

Quote:
Originally Posted by idaho fisherman View Post
I agree with ausablebrown. The St. Croix Avid is a smooth casting, well made rod that is American made. I would class it as a moderate action. I have also fished with my buddy's St. Croix Imperial and thought it was a good casting rod although a little faster than the Avid. It is made in Mexico and looked to be of good quality. I have also cast the St. Croix Legend ultra, another buddy owns one. It is also made in the US and has a nice smooth casting action that I would call a medium fast. I don't mean to be a St. Croix salesman, but these are well made, good rods that are in the price range you mentioned.
Somehow St. Croix has avoided the temptation of price gouging that all of the other big name rod companies have given in to. They don't have a $755 offering even if you want one. Let's get real, its just nickel silver, not gold and noones graphite is that far superior that it warrants those kinds of prices.

Lefty said it best "most of the $700 rods in the world will cast way better then their owners can cast them". In essence; get the quality 200-400 rod and your not going to be missing out on anything except an extra zero on your credit card balance. Unless you want some custom work, or Bamboo, then its a different story.
Old 02-17-2011, 04:22 PM

Vans has much to be proud ofVans has much to be proud ofVans has much to be proud ofVans has much to be proud ofVans has much to be proud ofVans has much to be proud ofVans has much to be proud ofVans has much to be proud of

I have a Sage Flight 5wt i am very fond of. I dont have a whole lot of experience with it yet since it was an X-Mas gift from the wife. However, it has made a very nice impression on me in the short while i have owned it.
Old 02-17-2011, 04:50 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by vans View Post
I have a Sage Flight 5wt i am very fond of. I dont have a whole lot of experience with it yet since it was an X-Mas gift from the wife. However, it has made a very nice impression on me in the short while i have owned it.
I guess I put too much emphasis on the negatives in my evalutation. Aside from it being a heavier rod, and having a bigger handle than I am used to I really liked the way it cast. I fish with my TXL most now, so I'm used to very light. It felt very natural to me, and like my TXL, I though it made me a better caster.
Old 02-17-2011, 04:55 PM

fearnofishbob will become famous soon enoughfearnofishbob will become famous soon enough

I've owned several St. Croixs in variuos lengths and weights and bottom line is they are well worth the money. I'd say you would be hard pressed to find a better rod....everything considered
Old 02-17-2011, 04:59 PM

outfortrout is on a distinguished road

Thanks everyone for the info. I started out with my KMart " 7' Eagle Claw and spoilled myself with the Sage. I just need versitility for NC mtn steams and larger rives out west. I love the feel the Sage has provided ( sensative, easy load, accurate short or long) It has been so long I do not know what is the best option these days. Guess best plan is to cast a few, bite the bullit and pay for a solid rod that feels best