The North American Fly Fishing Forum

Go Back   The North American Fly Fishing Forum > General Fly Fishing Discussion > General Discussion

General Discussion General discussions regarding fly fishing as a whole. Ask questions. Get answers...

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 02-17-2011, 07:51 PM

littledavid123 has a reputation beyond reputelittledavid123 has a reputation beyond reputelittledavid123 has a reputation beyond reputelittledavid123 has a reputation beyond reputelittledavid123 has a reputation beyond reputelittledavid123 has a reputation beyond reputelittledavid123 has a reputation beyond reputelittledavid123 has a reputation beyond reputelittledavid123 has a reputation beyond reputelittledavid123 has a reputation beyond reputelittledavid123 has a reputation beyond repute
Default Deep Water Midges

I understand midges should be fished near the bottom but what about in deep holes? Say the water is 8 or even 12 feet deep (slow moving) do I automatically change my tippet to get the midge on bottom for the best opportunity.

If the water is oxygenated will it still be a dead zone? Lots of questions from a newbie but I am clueless.

Dave
Old 02-17-2011, 10:16 PM

MoscaPescador has a reputation beyond reputeMoscaPescador has a reputation beyond reputeMoscaPescador has a reputation beyond reputeMoscaPescador has a reputation beyond reputeMoscaPescador has a reputation beyond reputeMoscaPescador has a reputation beyond reputeMoscaPescador has a reputation beyond reputeMoscaPescador has a reputation beyond reputeMoscaPescador has a reputation beyond reputeMoscaPescador has a reputation beyond reputeMoscaPescador has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Deep Water Midges

I am not sure if this will help. But what the heck.

MP
Old 02-17-2011, 11:09 PM
Administrator

mcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond repute

Dave: When I fish midge larva patterns I anchor the boat and drop a weighted line over the side so I can measure the depth and then set the indicator so the fly is approx. one foot above the bottom. 8-12 ft isn't what I would call deep water, that is the depths I normally target on stillwater, Joni on the other hand will fish all the way out to 30 ft of water but she is using a special rig to do that. If I'm fishing midge pupa patterns I just experiment with the various depths until I figure out where the fish are unless you happen to have a fish finder to help figure out the depth. As that movie pointed out, the pupa could be anywhere in the water column, including in the surface film or just below it trying to ram against the film, so if you happen to see fish on or near the surface, they could be feeding on midges and you might try a hopper/dropper style rig where the first fly is some sort of dry fly/terresterial and the dropper is a midge pupa/emerger anywhere from 8-12" off the bend of the dry fly. Hope that helps.

Larry

Old 02-18-2011, 04:50 PM

oldman50 is on a distinguished road

That was a great video. Thanks for sharing it. I know alot about mayflies but midges and chirinomids are still somewhat of a mystery to me. I fish for rainbows in a lake and as long as I fish the red worm and the Griffiths gnat I'm all right but any other pattern is still vague for me. Come April I will be asking alot more questions. Thanks again for sharing the video.
Old 02-18-2011, 05:28 PM

littledavid123 has a reputation beyond reputelittledavid123 has a reputation beyond reputelittledavid123 has a reputation beyond reputelittledavid123 has a reputation beyond reputelittledavid123 has a reputation beyond reputelittledavid123 has a reputation beyond reputelittledavid123 has a reputation beyond reputelittledavid123 has a reputation beyond reputelittledavid123 has a reputation beyond reputelittledavid123 has a reputation beyond reputelittledavid123 has a reputation beyond repute

Thanks for the film Mosca, interesting to see how they move. Mcnerny, I never would have guessed those depths to be within normal fishing parameters. Fishing the typical swifter and shallower water here will normally mean having close neighbors and for me getting away is a big part of the reason I fish.

Learning to fish these deep still waters (jbbfly ) will really help me to break away from the crowds.

Dave
Old 02-18-2011, 08:52 PM

mojo has a brilliant futuremojo has a brilliant futuremojo has a brilliant futuremojo has a brilliant futuremojo has a brilliant futuremojo has a brilliant futuremojo has a brilliant futuremojo has a brilliant futuremojo has a brilliant futuremojo has a brilliant futuremojo has a brilliant future

I'm happy fishing about 18" from the bottom. 12' or 30'. So with 2 flies, bottom fly 18" from the bottom, top fly 18" or so from the bottom fly. Using a large slip indicator- because it gives more action on choppy water. And I hate calm water for deep nymphing. Or shallow nymphing.
Almost forgot. I also use Rio type VII sinking line. If the depth is 20', I throw out 20' of line (leader included) let it sink until it's straight down from me. Then it's a slow figure 8 hand retreive to the top. Hang on because when they hit it, you know it.