The North American Fly Fishing Forum
Go Back   The North American Fly Fishing Forum > General Fly Fishing Discussion > General Discussion

General Discussion General discussions regarding fly fishing as a whole. Ask questions. Get answers...

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 07-14-2009, 10:08 PM

ducktrooper is on a distinguished road
Default Suggestions on quality sink tip fly line?

I need suggestions on which type sinking line or sink tip line with work best with my Redington CD reel(5/6) and RS3 rod, 9' 6wt. I fish mostly AR tailwaters and Spring River and plan to put this line on a separate spool for using with streamers primarily.

Questions I have are which will cast easier and provide most feedback on strikes while stripping? Also, what are benefits/drawbacks of full sinking line versus one that has 15' sink tip, ie, the RIO Streamer Tip DC? Lastly, are there any quality mid priced lines that perform well or should I plan to get the best possible? THanks.
Old 07-14-2009, 10:50 PM

MoscaPescador has a reputation beyond reputeMoscaPescador has a reputation beyond reputeMoscaPescador has a reputation beyond reputeMoscaPescador has a reputation beyond reputeMoscaPescador has a reputation beyond reputeMoscaPescador has a reputation beyond reputeMoscaPescador has a reputation beyond reputeMoscaPescador has a reputation beyond reputeMoscaPescador has a reputation beyond reputeMoscaPescador has a reputation beyond reputeMoscaPescador has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Suggestions on quality sink tip fly line?

Quote:
Originally Posted by ducktrooper View Post
Questions I have are which will cast easier and provide most feedback on strikes while stripping?
It's easier to pick up a sink tip off the surface because part of it floats.

The effect on strike detection is neglible while stripping if the line is kept tight.

Quote:
Also, what are benefits/drawbacks of full sinking line versus one that has 15' sink tip, ie, the RIO Streamer Tip DC?
It's the lack of line control. When swinging a line, it's easier to mend sink tip because part of the head and all of the running line floats.

Quote:
Lastly, are there any quality mid priced lines that perform well or should I plan to get the best possible? THanks.
Spend the money on the higher end lines. The sinking sections use better materials to keep them at depth rather than wandering at different depths. The Rio Streamer Tip DC lines perform the best in the tip category in my opinion.

I hope this helps.

MP
Old 07-15-2009, 06:42 AM

thanks for the feedback. A few more questions if I may.....

is a DC or Density Compensating sink tip better than and standard sink tip fly line for stripping streamers?

What sink rate is best for using in moderate flow tailwaters, type 3 or 6?

Would a lighter weight reel, ie, an Orvis BBS that's about half the weight of my Redington CD be a better way to go if streamer fishing for long periods?

Is Rio Mainstream considered a quality line as they have a sink tip line that's about half the price of the DC?

Thanks...I have the next 2 weekends to fish and want to nail this purchase and decision down before Friday...
Old 07-15-2009, 08:23 AM

randyflycaster is a name known to allrandyflycaster is a name known to allrandyflycaster is a name known to allrandyflycaster is a name known to allrandyflycaster is a name known to allrandyflycaster is a name known to all

I'd consider a Cabelas sink-tip line for value. A full-sinking line will stay at the same water level without forming a hinge, but a sink-tip, from what I know, is easier to use for the reason given in the above post.

Randy
Old 07-15-2009, 10:31 AM
Administrator

Frank Whiton has a reputation beyond reputeFrank Whiton has a reputation beyond reputeFrank Whiton has a reputation beyond reputeFrank Whiton has a reputation beyond reputeFrank Whiton has a reputation beyond reputeFrank Whiton has a reputation beyond reputeFrank Whiton has a reputation beyond reputeFrank Whiton has a reputation beyond reputeFrank Whiton has a reputation beyond reputeFrank Whiton has a reputation beyond reputeFrank Whiton has a reputation beyond repute
Send a message via Skype™ to Frank Whiton

Hi ducktrooper,

I have posted some information about the Rio DC Sink Tip and the SA Sink TIP for others to see.

I fished a sink tip line almost exclusive in Alaska. I prefer a slower sink rate like a Type III, maybe a IV. I think the slower sink tips are more flexible. You can fish it slow sinking if you want and if conditions require a faster rate you can augment it by using a weighted fly or changing your presentation more up stream or further above the fish.

The RIO DC Sink tip comes in a 10' or 15' length. My preference would be the 10'. A DC line is a better choice over a non-DC line. The SA Sink Tip changes the sink tip length according to what weight of line you are using. I would go with the higher priced line rather than an economy line.

Frank

---------------------------------------------------------------------

DC Sink Tip

Density Compensated (DC) 10 ft NEW for 2009 and (DC) 15 ft Sinking Tip Fly Lines The sink tip line of choice for nymph and streamer fishing. The lines are designed with a balanced length of thick floating body to eliminate the “hinge” or kick during the casting stroke. Density compensation stops the problem of sinking tips from sinking in a curve; the tip sinks at the same speed as the body to get the fly down for more strikes and better strike detection. These lines are available with a new 10 ft DC sink tip or the standard DC 15 ft sinking tip, and, for 2009, both lines feature RIO's XS Technology.

10 ft: Type 6 WF5F/S - WF9F/S

Length: 90 ft (27.4 m); Color: Green with black sinking tip

15 ft: Type 3 WF4F/S - WF8F/S
Type 4 WF5F/S - WF8F/S
Type 6 WF6F/S - WF9F/S

Length: 90 ft (27.4 m); Color: Yellow with black sinking tip

Click the image to open in full size.

WET TIP
™

Multi-Situation Sinking-Tip Fly Line
APPLICATIONS:
• Graduated density and tapered tip make this
the smoothest casting sinking-tip line available
• Designed for moving water situations requiring
enhanced castability and line control
• Ideal for streamers and wet flies for trout, steelhead,
salmon, and smallmouth bass
SINK RATES:
• 1.5-6.5 ips
TAPER CHARACTERISTICS:
• Tapered tips for smoother turnover with less kick
• Tips, tapers, and heads are designed specifically
for each line size for optimal performance
CORE:
Braided multifilament nylon

COATING:
• Exclusive blend of 3M PVC formulated with patented
AST – Advanced Shooting Technology – floating
line and industry-leading Mastery Series
powdered-tungsten sinking-line technology
• Graduated-density between sinking tip and floating
section allows smoother casting and straighter fishing
for more natural drifts, enhanced sensitivity, better
strike detection, and easier hook setting
TAPER CHARACTERISTICS:
• Tapered tips for smoother turnover with less kick
• Tips, tapers, and heads are designed specifically
for each line size for optimal performance
CORE:
Braided multifilament nylon

COATING:
• Exclusive blend of 3M PVC formulated with patented
AST – Advanced Shooting Technology – floating
line and industry-leading Mastery Series
powdered-tungsten sinking-line technology
• Graduated-density between sinking tip and floating
section allows smoother casting and straighter fishing
for more natural drifts, enhanced sensitivity, better
strike detection, and easier hook setting
COLORS:
Green/Mist Green (Type II)

Dark Green/Mist Green (Type III)

Gray/Mist Green (Type IV)

Dark Gray/Mist Green (Type V)

DELIVERY:
Moderate

STIFFNESS:
Low

MATCHING LEADER:
Old 07-15-2009, 11:23 AM

MoscaPescador has a reputation beyond reputeMoscaPescador has a reputation beyond reputeMoscaPescador has a reputation beyond reputeMoscaPescador has a reputation beyond reputeMoscaPescador has a reputation beyond reputeMoscaPescador has a reputation beyond reputeMoscaPescador has a reputation beyond reputeMoscaPescador has a reputation beyond reputeMoscaPescador has a reputation beyond reputeMoscaPescador has a reputation beyond reputeMoscaPescador has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
...is a DC or Density Compensating sink tip better than and standard sink tip fly line for stripping streamers?
Yes.

Quote:
What sink rate is best for using in moderate flow tailwaters, type 3 or 6?
That's a tough call. The other factor is depth. To be safe, go with a type 3 line. You can change up the weight of the fly or add a short sinking leader to get down deeper.

Quote:
Would a lighter weight reel, ie, an Orvis BBS that's about half the weight of my Redington CD be a better way to go if streamer fishing for long periods?
Theoretically yes as long as the rod and reel feel balanced.

Quote:
Is Rio Mainstream considered a quality line as they have a sink tip line that's about half the price of the DC?
It's a quality line for the price point.

MP
Old 07-15-2009, 05:56 PM

Thank you Frank and Pescador.....what are advantages of 10' tip vs 15'? I'm pretty sold on the RIO DC sink tip line.....type 4 seems to be nice compromise as well as it still would allow for a little extra weight to be added near fly if needed.
Old 07-15-2009, 07:43 PM

Bigfly has much to be proud ofBigfly has much to be proud ofBigfly has much to be proud ofBigfly has much to be proud ofBigfly has much to be proud ofBigfly has much to be proud ofBigfly has much to be proud ofBigfly has much to be proud ofBigfly has much to be proud of
Send a message via AIM to Bigfly

Trooper, the DC is a good line. I use almost all the sinking lines they make. That is the only problem, you'll need more than one. I recommend using a bimini loop on your backing, and change them out as needed. No need to own 10 spools. Maybe two or three.
The three lines I use most, are 125-250-300 Gr. DC. Two are 10ft & one a 24ft.
Remember to strip set!!! If he's not still on, you can feed it to him again.
If you rod set it may be game over, as you've just pulled it nine feet away.
Good luck
Old 07-15-2009, 08:24 PM

Quote:
Thank you Frank and Pescador.....what are advantages of 10' tip vs 15'? I'm pretty sold on the RIO DC sink tip line.....type 4 seems to be nice compromise as well as it still would allow for a little extra weight to be added near fly if needed.
I forgot that Rio has a type 4 in the DC tip line series. That wouldn't be a bad compromise.

10' tip advantage - line is easier to pick up out of the water due to a longer floating section. Also due to the longer floating section, you acheive better line control (mending).

15' tip advantage - more sinking line in the water which is better for longer swings.

MP
Old 07-16-2009, 12:25 AM
Administrator

Frank Whiton has a reputation beyond reputeFrank Whiton has a reputation beyond reputeFrank Whiton has a reputation beyond reputeFrank Whiton has a reputation beyond reputeFrank Whiton has a reputation beyond reputeFrank Whiton has a reputation beyond reputeFrank Whiton has a reputation beyond reputeFrank Whiton has a reputation beyond reputeFrank Whiton has a reputation beyond reputeFrank Whiton has a reputation beyond reputeFrank Whiton has a reputation beyond repute
Send a message via Skype™ to Frank Whiton

Hi ducktrooper,

I like the 10' because it is easier to pick up and cast. I like to do an in-air roll cast to pick up the sink tip. If you are fishing a stream or river 10' is all you need most of the time. If you do a lot of still water fishing then a full sinking may be a better choice. I had three lines for my 8wt. A floating, a 10' sinking and a full sinking. In 15 years of fishing that set up I don't recall ever using the full sinking. The floating and sink tip did all I needed to do.

A sink tip fly line of any length takes a little getting use to. It does not cast like a floating line. It is not difficult but it takes a little practice to get the hang of it.

Frank