The North American Fly Fishing Forum

Go Back   The North American Fly Fishing Forum > General Fly Fishing Discussion > General Discussion

General Discussion General discussions regarding fly fishing as a whole. Ask questions. Get answers...

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 07-15-2009, 07:41 PM

Flyflkr is on a distinguished road
Default Zippered Waders

Relatively new here, but not to the world of the fly. However, I will be purchasing new breathable waders soon. Tired of the persistent water gathering about my akles.

Has anyone had any experience with breathables with a zipper? What advice can I get?
Old 07-15-2009, 08:01 PM

DryFlyGuy has a spectacular aura aboutDryFlyGuy has a spectacular aura aboutDryFlyGuy has a spectacular aura about
Default Re: Zippered Waders

The new Simms G4 zippered waders are very popular (and expensive) for the 'older' crowd that has to pee more often.

I would have a hard time justifying the extra $$ for a zipper, but talk to me in 15 years when I have to pee every 45 minutes.

Simms Fishing Products : : G4Z? Stockingfoots
Old 07-15-2009, 08:30 PM

MoscaPescador has a reputation beyond reputeMoscaPescador has a reputation beyond reputeMoscaPescador has a reputation beyond reputeMoscaPescador has a reputation beyond reputeMoscaPescador has a reputation beyond reputeMoscaPescador has a reputation beyond reputeMoscaPescador has a reputation beyond reputeMoscaPescador has a reputation beyond reputeMoscaPescador has a reputation beyond reputeMoscaPescador has a reputation beyond reputeMoscaPescador has a reputation beyond repute

I ran into Simon Gawsworth of Rio last month when he was doing a Spey clinic for shop guys and guides. He was testing out some zippered waders for Redington (Rio's sister company). He's fished all winter and spring in them. So far no leaks.

MP
Old 07-15-2009, 09:42 PM

Scott Spencer is on a distinguished road

Not cheap but you can also check out the Dan Bailey waders. They offer a zip breathable wader that is really nice.
Old 07-15-2009, 10:25 PM
Joni has a reputation beyond reputeJoni has a reputation beyond reputeJoni has a reputation beyond reputeJoni has a reputation beyond reputeJoni has a reputation beyond reputeJoni has a reputation beyond reputeJoni has a reputation beyond reputeJoni has a reputation beyond reputeJoni has a reputation beyond reputeJoni has a reputation beyond reputeJoni has a reputation beyond repute

I can't say Cheap as they are awesome waders, but not expensive (check e-bay)
I have Rivendell waist high with a zipper. LOVE THEM!!!!!
Old 07-18-2009, 09:15 AM

FlyDog is on a distinguished road

A friend of mine has been using a pair of Hodgeman zippered waders for a couple of seasons now and he seems to be quite happy with them.
Old 07-18-2009, 11:14 PM

flyguy66 is a glorious beacon of lightflyguy66 is a glorious beacon of lightflyguy66 is a glorious beacon of lightflyguy66 is a glorious beacon of lightflyguy66 is a glorious beacon of light

my wife and i have been wearing waders w/waterproof zippers in them now for the past 6 years. never had a leak @ a zipper. in fact, i had to send a couple pair back to this one company i was testing them for, and before they sent me the 3rd pair i told them they should just replace all of their leg seams w/waterproof zippers...cuz they had that down pat, but their freaking double-taped seams were leaking!

the models w/the zipper in the chest really do make getting in/out of your waders a lot more convenient. they also allow you to get into your pants pockets w/o having to peel the waders down first. little things like that make a big difference over time. you do get spoiled. there are a few out there with zippered flies in them just like a pair of jeans. i think we all know what that's for. can't say i've ever worn a pair of those, but i have talked to a couple of fellas who have. they said the zipper worked fine, but they didn't seem to excited about the revolution.
UPSTREAM, publisher
Fly Fishing News, columnist