The North American Fly Fishing Forum

Go Back   The North American Fly Fishing Forum > General Fly Fishing Discussion > General Discussion

General Discussion General discussions regarding fly fishing as a whole. Ask questions. Get answers...

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 07-16-2009, 01:04 AM

lifesaflyin is on a distinguished road
Default fly fishing at its weirdest?

well, how weird has it gotten for you on a lake?... we were trolling at a good clip with a dry mosquito and destroyed every other fisherman out there with quantity and size. some days are strange. our lines i would have to say spent more time reeling them in then acually being trolled. hit after hit. you are able to do that with perch and whitefish, but brook and rainbow trout? wow. i was amazed.

who would have thought a mosquito ripping aross the surface in a totally unatural way caught the most in the day.
Old 07-16-2009, 09:09 AM

arfishinbear has much to be proud ofarfishinbear has much to be proud ofarfishinbear has much to be proud ofarfishinbear has much to be proud ofarfishinbear has much to be proud ofarfishinbear has much to be proud ofarfishinbear has much to be proud ofarfishinbear has much to be proud ofarfishinbear has much to be proud of
Default Re: fly fishing at its weirdest?

Man sometimes fish are like women, about the time you think ya got 'em figured they change on ya(just kidding ladies) lol. I was working an out of town job years ago and stayed there 5 days and came home on the weekend. I layed out a fly rod, a spinning rod and three or four boxes of lures and flies, went out monday morning and left the damn fly rod. One evening bass were boiling on the top so I took am egg shaped bobber, one of those orange and yellow ones, put it about 3 feet up my line and then tied a deerhair popper on, useing my spinning rod I could cast the rig pretty good.
The bass kept hammering the bobber and wouldnt touch the popper, I tied on about 7 diffrent ones, and only caught 2 fish to the 30 that blew up on the bobber.
Bear
Old 07-16-2009, 09:55 AM

MoscaPescador has a reputation beyond reputeMoscaPescador has a reputation beyond reputeMoscaPescador has a reputation beyond reputeMoscaPescador has a reputation beyond reputeMoscaPescador has a reputation beyond reputeMoscaPescador has a reputation beyond reputeMoscaPescador has a reputation beyond reputeMoscaPescador has a reputation beyond reputeMoscaPescador has a reputation beyond reputeMoscaPescador has a reputation beyond reputeMoscaPescador has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by arfishinbear View Post
The bass kept hammering the bobber and wouldnt touch the popper, I tied on about 7 diffrent ones, and only caught 2 fish to the 30 that blew up on the bobber.
Bear
I've had days in which trout would attack my big puffy yellow indicator. When I switched up to a yellow stimulator/dropper setup, the fish would not even look at my flies.

MP
Old 07-16-2009, 10:58 AM
Administrator

Frank Whiton has a reputation beyond reputeFrank Whiton has a reputation beyond reputeFrank Whiton has a reputation beyond reputeFrank Whiton has a reputation beyond reputeFrank Whiton has a reputation beyond reputeFrank Whiton has a reputation beyond reputeFrank Whiton has a reputation beyond reputeFrank Whiton has a reputation beyond reputeFrank Whiton has a reputation beyond reputeFrank Whiton has a reputation beyond reputeFrank Whiton has a reputation beyond repute
Send a message via Skype™ to Frank Whiton

Hi lifesaflyin,

Many years ago my wife and I were fishing for Grayling in the lower Tangle Lakes in Alaska. I had just fished a nice riffle and didn't have any luck. I was tired and decided to pack it in. My wife was on shore talking to me so I put the rod over my shoulder with the line out. As I was wading toward her I caught a small Grayling. We laughed about it and so i did it again and caught another Grayling. This is water I just fished with no takes. I reeled in and sat on the shore thinking about what just happened and realized that Grayling liked a moving fly. From that day forward my success with Grayling went way up.

Frank
Old 07-16-2009, 07:01 PM

Bigfly has a brilliant futureBigfly has a brilliant futureBigfly has a brilliant futureBigfly has a brilliant futureBigfly has a brilliant futureBigfly has a brilliant futureBigfly has a brilliant futureBigfly has a brilliant futureBigfly has a brilliant futureBigfly has a brilliant futureBigfly has a brilliant future
Send a message via AIM to Bigfly

One cloudy morning, I rowed my pram at high speed, (until pooped) while trolling a #2 crystal bugger w/300 gr line on an 8wt. The rainbows 18" and up to 24" launched into the air chasing it. I've never been able to duplicate it again, though you can bet I tried!