The North American Fly Fishing Forum
Go Back   The North American Fly Fishing Forum > General Fly Fishing Discussion > General Discussion

General Discussion General discussions regarding fly fishing as a whole. Ask questions. Get answers...

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 07-16-2009, 11:55 AM

Tracker12 will become famous soon enoughTracker12 will become famous soon enough
Default New Rod new technique

Well I got out yesterday with a new rod. It is really interesting to see how each rod cast differently and how you need to adjust your technique. Being realitively new its going to take some time before I settle into what action I like best. Also the more I fly fish the more I realize how much the wind also effects the cast. As a gerneral rule will you get tighter loops with a faster action rod?
Old 07-16-2009, 12:11 PM
Super Moderator

BigCliff has a brilliant futureBigCliff has a brilliant futureBigCliff has a brilliant futureBigCliff has a brilliant futureBigCliff has a brilliant futureBigCliff has a brilliant futureBigCliff has a brilliant futureBigCliff has a brilliant futureBigCliff has a brilliant futureBigCliff has a brilliant futureBigCliff has a brilliant future
Default Re: New Rod new technique

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tracker12 View Post
As a gerneral rule will you get tighter loops with a faster action rod?
Yes, but its a bit more accurate to say that its easier to throw tight loops with a fast action rod. Your casting stroke has much more to do with the size of the loops than the rod does, in actuality.

I'd rather hunt fish than bait deer any day.
Old 07-16-2009, 12:36 PM
Administrator

Frank Whiton has a reputation beyond reputeFrank Whiton has a reputation beyond reputeFrank Whiton has a reputation beyond reputeFrank Whiton has a reputation beyond reputeFrank Whiton has a reputation beyond reputeFrank Whiton has a reputation beyond reputeFrank Whiton has a reputation beyond reputeFrank Whiton has a reputation beyond reputeFrank Whiton has a reputation beyond reputeFrank Whiton has a reputation beyond reputeFrank Whiton has a reputation beyond repute
Send a message via Skype™ to Frank Whiton

Hi Tracker12,

Tight loops are dependent on the speed up and stop motion of your cast. To get tight loops the cast needs to gradually accelerate and then end with a short, rapid acceleration and abrupt stop. If you are getting large loops you are moving the rod tip too far during the abrupt acceleration and stop phase of the cast.

Cliff is right on that the execution of the cast is more important than the rod action.

Frank
Old 07-16-2009, 09:01 PM

Tracker12 will become famous soon enoughTracker12 will become famous soon enough

Thanks for the advice I will follow up on that when I hit the water this weekend. I do feel that my motion is a little slow at times. Another thing I noticed is sometimes my flyline hits the water closer to the rod first on occassion .
Old 07-27-2009, 03:26 PM

Bigfly has much to be proud ofBigfly has much to be proud ofBigfly has much to be proud ofBigfly has much to be proud ofBigfly has much to be proud ofBigfly has much to be proud ofBigfly has much to be proud ofBigfly has much to be proud ofBigfly has much to be proud of
Send a message via AIM to Bigfly

I have my students picture a hitching rail from a western, about shoulder high about one foot in front of their shoulder. Forward motion needs to stop before you bang your wrist on the imaginary rail. DO NOT let the rod tip follow through to a point where rod is paralell to the water. Tip drop, and no stop, disapates all the power you've loaded into the rod, before it transfers to the leader. Happy casting!

Bigfly
Old 07-27-2009, 03:41 PM

Bigfly has much to be proud ofBigfly has much to be proud ofBigfly has much to be proud ofBigfly has much to be proud ofBigfly has much to be proud ofBigfly has much to be proud ofBigfly has much to be proud ofBigfly has much to be proud ofBigfly has much to be proud of
Send a message via AIM to Bigfly

Tip drop can work if you are casting down stream with a dry because it can slightly extend your drift. In that case it's a puddle cast I think.
Old 07-27-2009, 07:39 PM

Pocono has a reputation beyond reputePocono has a reputation beyond reputePocono has a reputation beyond reputePocono has a reputation beyond reputePocono has a reputation beyond reputePocono has a reputation beyond reputePocono has a reputation beyond reputePocono has a reputation beyond reputePocono has a reputation beyond reputePocono has a reputation beyond reputePocono has a reputation beyond repute

I'll echo Frank's comment about the speed up and abrupt stop motion of the cast as being the most important element in generating a tight loop. It's easy to say, but not necessarily easy to do; since most people who are staring off will jerk the start of the cast and slow down before the end; which is usually a comfortably slow stop. For me, reversing that sequence took some conditioning. One of the things that helped me the most was sidearm casting on the grass. Using a single front cast, then a single back cast, you can watch the line move against the backdrop of the grass and watch how changing you line motion affects your loop size and shape.

And, I think that everyone's casting style is a little different. For example, I'm usually fishing a 9'0' Sage Z-Axis 5 wt. rod; while my wife fishes an 8'6" Winston BIIx 5 wt. Several people who have fished both rods tell me that the Z-Axis is better for generating tight loops, but for me it's just the opposite. I always throw my best tight loops with her rod. Perhaps that's why I offer to switch with her so often. There's probaby a lesson in there for me; now I just have to be willing to accept it.
Old 07-27-2009, 08:35 PM

Good suggestion of the side cast. Tried it tonight and it definitely gives you feedback.
Old 07-27-2009, 08:57 PM

ant is a splendid one to beholdant is a splendid one to beholdant is a splendid one to beholdant is a splendid one to beholdant is a splendid one to beholdant is a splendid one to beholdant is a splendid one to behold

Another thing that I was told when learning to cast other than the abrupt stopping is to make sure that the tip is the same distance from the ground throughout the cast; so that the tip draws a line parallel with the gorund throughout the cast instead of having a bit of an arch, if that makes sense. The arch seems to dissipate some of the power of the cast. If you can keep the tip straight, which I think personally is easier with the side cast, you get tighter loops and more power in the cast.

I like that hitching rail idea, bigfly. That's a great way to put that.
Old 07-27-2009, 11:04 PM

FrankB2 has a reputation beyond reputeFrankB2 has a reputation beyond reputeFrankB2 has a reputation beyond reputeFrankB2 has a reputation beyond reputeFrankB2 has a reputation beyond reputeFrankB2 has a reputation beyond reputeFrankB2 has a reputation beyond reputeFrankB2 has a reputation beyond reputeFrankB2 has a reputation beyond reputeFrankB2 has a reputation beyond reputeFrankB2 has a reputation beyond repute

You can watch Mel Kreiger throw tight and open loops here:
Mel
Kreiger Casting Lesson

Watch this guy to see a wide open "loop": http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eN7ytU-PyTY
You have to wait until the 1 minute mark, but it's easy to spot what he's doing wrong .