The North American Fly Fishing Forum

Go Back   The North American Fly Fishing Forum > General Fly Fishing Discussion > General Discussion

General Discussion General discussions regarding fly fishing as a whole. Ask questions. Get answers...

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 07-16-2009, 03:03 PM

axle27 has much to be proud ofaxle27 has much to be proud ofaxle27 has much to be proud ofaxle27 has much to be proud ofaxle27 has much to be proud ofaxle27 has much to be proud ofaxle27 has much to be proud ofaxle27 has much to be proud ofaxle27 has much to be proud of
Default Rio Sink Tips

I was nosing around (as I always do) and thinking about streamers.

I ran across a Rio Sink tips, not the sink tip line. It seems that you can get a 3 or 6 rate sink tip that is attached to your existing line.

Coupla questions:

1- Has anyone ever used this? It seems more economical to use rather than a new spool/fly line.

2- Can I use these with the existing mono tapered leaders that I already use, or should an investment be made in sinking furled leaders (Hello, Joni, you listening?)

Thanx in advanced.
Old 07-16-2009, 04:41 PM
Super Moderator

BigCliff has a brilliant futureBigCliff has a brilliant futureBigCliff has a brilliant futureBigCliff has a brilliant futureBigCliff has a brilliant futureBigCliff has a brilliant futureBigCliff has a brilliant futureBigCliff has a brilliant futureBigCliff has a brilliant futureBigCliff has a brilliant futureBigCliff has a brilliant future
Default Re: Rio Sink Tips

If you're talking about the 15' ones Cabelas and some others are selling, it looks like they're intended to me used with a multi-tip line set-up and not added on to the front end of a fly line.- Fly Lines, Fly Leaders, and Fly Fishing Accessories - Rio 15 ft Sink Tips They could, however, be used as a roll-yer-own multi tip set up if you're willing to cut a fly line 15' back from the tip and deal with having a looped connection at that point. Could be issues passing it through the guides though.

If you're talking about Rio's VersiLeaders (polyleaders)- Fly Lines, Fly Leaders, and Fly Fishing Accessories - Rio Freshwater VersiLeaders then yes those are intended to be added onto a fly line and then one attaches tippet at the other end. I am a fan of polyleaders as a way to get streamers down deeper without having to re-string a rod, buy a spare spool, etc. They do however add some weight to the fly line and change the action of the rod up a bit. They also cast a bit weird, but one can get used to it.

I'd rather hunt fish than bait deer any day.
Old 07-17-2009, 06:23 AM

axle27 has much to be proud ofaxle27 has much to be proud ofaxle27 has much to be proud ofaxle27 has much to be proud ofaxle27 has much to be proud ofaxle27 has much to be proud ofaxle27 has much to be proud ofaxle27 has much to be proud ofaxle27 has much to be proud of

Thanx, Cliff. As always, you are the man.
Old 07-22-2009, 12:20 PM

I've been looking around and I found the Jim Teeny Mini fly line. Sounds like it's exactly what I'm looking for.

However, I'm gonna hold off as I've just ordered a 7ft. Floro furled leader to use with my Floro tippets. This should do fine for streamers in deeper water.

There is one particular spot that I fish a few times a year that has a deep run, something like 6ft, but the top is really fast. I hope that this helps get it down. I usually fish above it, let the fly move through this area, then swing it back.
Old 07-22-2009, 08:51 PM
Super Moderator

BigCliff has a brilliant futureBigCliff has a brilliant futureBigCliff has a brilliant futureBigCliff has a brilliant futureBigCliff has a brilliant futureBigCliff has a brilliant futureBigCliff has a brilliant futureBigCliff has a brilliant futureBigCliff has a brilliant futureBigCliff has a brilliant futureBigCliff has a brilliant future

A fluoro leader will help get the fly down better than mono, but no where near what a extra super fast sink polyleader will do.

I'd rather hunt fish than bait deer any day.
Old 07-23-2009, 07:47 AM

I really like Furled leaders.

I have a couple of questions:

What is the difference between a braided leader and a furled leader? I know that the furled leader is twisted (like rope). I've never seen a braided leader.

I've looked at the polyleaders, and they seem to come in braided and tapered. Tapered meaning it looks like you standard knotless tapered leader or is it a furled leader that is tapered.

I'm intrigued by this as I really don't wanna get a new spool and fly line for this exercise.
Old 07-24-2009, 11:16 AM

BAM is on a distinguished road

There is a woman on Ebay ( goes by MS. Cecil) who makes up add on sink tips from SA type 3 (7' or 10') , type 4 (7' or 10') , Rio ti6 (3',5' or 10') and ti14 (10'). I was using one of her 5' Rio ti6 tips yesterday on my 6 weight (Cortland 333 pro floating line ( lightest set up I have)) without a leader, only using 4' to 5' of tippet . It kept me down where the fish were but it ( the line not fly) did hang up in real rocky areas with a slow current. All it took was a light tug and it was free and drifting again. It also got me under the logs I was complaining about in another post ( but thats another story involving the dire need to learn to tie better knots). I did better with the sink tip on then when only using split shot. They are nice to carry along and don't take up the room that a spare spool of sink tip line does. They do take some getting use to when casting ( atleast the ti 6 and 14 do), you need to slow your timing down for the mass of the tip. Just to note, I have never tried a dedicated sink tip line. If you mess up your cast ( as in dropping the rod tip), they ( Rio ti 6 and 14) slap the water hard. Tungsten impregnated line is heavy. Ms. Cecil`s tips are cheap to buy come with loops on either end for easy change out and she does have the suggested line weights posted for each one. The shipping is also cheap.
Just another option for you.

Brian - so many toys I mean options, so little time.
Old 07-24-2009, 11:26 AM

Thanx for the tip, BAM.

I just mulling over this subject. I think I might look into that. Either that, or I can get the Teeny Mini-tip and put it on a Pflueger Medalist that was handed down to me and really doesn't have a home (rod) yet.

I went ahead and got the floro furled leader with a metal ring on the end. If I mate it to the Teeny Mini-tip, I'd have a setup for the area I'm thinking of.
Old 07-24-2009, 12:30 PM
Administrator

Frank Whiton has a reputation beyond reputeFrank Whiton has a reputation beyond reputeFrank Whiton has a reputation beyond reputeFrank Whiton has a reputation beyond reputeFrank Whiton has a reputation beyond reputeFrank Whiton has a reputation beyond reputeFrank Whiton has a reputation beyond reputeFrank Whiton has a reputation beyond reputeFrank Whiton has a reputation beyond reputeFrank Whiton has a reputation beyond reputeFrank Whiton has a reputation beyond repute
Send a message via Skype™ to Frank Whiton

Hi axle27

Let me toss in my thoughts. I am not a fan at all of adding a sinking section of line on the front of a WF tapered line. If it is of any length at all it is hard to turn over with a heavy fly. Why would you take a line that is designed to cast perfectly and add a big piece of sinking line to the front of it. To make it work at all you will have to shorten the line out the tip of the rod to compensate for the added weighted line.

I think an integrated sink tip fly line is a much better way to go. These line cast well and the sinking line is designed into the taper of the WF line. I know that some members use these weight add on lines but it is not something I want to cast.

A furled leaded is made from many different materials on a jig. The fibers are not woven together but are twisted. A braided leader is made from nylon that is woven together. At least that is my guess.

Frank
Old 07-24-2009, 01:19 PM

Rip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond repute

I use lead-heads regularly.
IMO they're more convenient to add to your line ...loop2loop that is ..than it is to switch out to a different spool.
I made mine from the Cortland LC-13 which is one whole gram lighter per foot than the Rio T-14 and a heck of a lot cheaper
I carry 3 different lengths in my trout gear. A 2', a 4', and a 6". The 6 inch get the most use. Instead of being a lead head between the line and leader, it goes between the leader and the tippet and is a substitute for split shot.
Another lead-head that I use regularly is the 6' head that's in my saltwater wallet.
I attach it to a full sinking line when I want to go down real deep fast.

These things are not easy to cast by any means.....but then again I don't fly fish because it's easy