The North American Fly Fishing Forum

Go Back   The North American Fly Fishing Forum > General Fly Fishing Discussion > General Discussion

General Discussion General discussions regarding fly fishing as a whole. Ask questions. Get answers...

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 07-16-2009, 10:32 PM

fishosopher is on a distinguished road
Default Native Watercraft Ultimate Tegris

I'm thinking of getting Native Watercraft's Ultimate Tegris hybred kayak. I've been looking at this boat for over a year, and it's on sale now. The main atraction is that it's super light (32 lbs., 36 lbls. w/seat). But it's not a sit-on-top, usually recommended for fishing and easier to get in and out of.

I'd use it to fish for smallmouth on MN, WI and other midwestern streams. Also I'd fish lakes for whatever. Might do some camping out of it.

Does anyone have experience with this boat? Even on sale it's very expensive, so I don't want to make a mistake.
We're all in the same boat. We all come 'ere and we don't know why. We all go in our turn and we don't know where. If you are a bit better off, be thankful. And if you don't get into trouble an' make a fool of yourself, well, be thankful for that,'cos you easily might.--J.B.Priestley
Old 07-17-2009, 10:53 AM

Waterboy is on a distinguished road
Default Re: Native Watercraft Ultimate Tegris

I'll be honest and say I've only paddled an ultimate 12. I have fish from kayaks for about 3 yrs. If I was going to get an ultimate I would get the 14.5 solo because I have fished out of a 15.5 ft long kayak and in the Ultimate 12 I felt cramped in there. Good luck on finding the right kayak for you. I always tell people don't stress the kayak you buy its only your first.
Old 07-17-2009, 03:25 PM

Bigfly has a brilliant futureBigfly has a brilliant futureBigfly has a brilliant futureBigfly has a brilliant futureBigfly has a brilliant futureBigfly has a brilliant futureBigfly has a brilliant futureBigfly has a brilliant futureBigfly has a brilliant futureBigfly has a brilliant futureBigfly has a brilliant future
Send a message via AIM to Bigfly

My only concern about lightness, is durability. Several freinds tried to use a back pack weight for everyday use. I heard nothing but whinning about leaks. If you are going to drag it on shore, spend a little more.
The best tubes have a quality valve like larger rafts. Keep some air in it and store it out of the sun! They last many years.

Bigfly
Old 07-19-2009, 01:27 PM

tatco is on a distinguished road

I have a Native Ultimate Solo 14.5. I have used it in Florida and Colorado. I love it. In Colorado I use it in lakes. Have not had it in the rivers yet. I got it to fly fish from, because it is very stable to stand up in. I equipped it with front and rear splash skirts, which helps when the wind picks up those white caps. Here is a site for Native watercraft that you might find interesting. Native Watercraft Owner's Group - by Lakeline Watersports. I have heard from a guy here in colorado that his tegris flexes and it took a little to get used to it.