The North American Fly Fishing Forum

Go Back   The North American Fly Fishing Forum > General Fly Fishing Discussion > General Discussion

General Discussion General discussions regarding fly fishing as a whole. Ask questions. Get answers...

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 02-19-2011, 10:13 PM

floorabove is on a distinguished road
Default New to the forum

Hi , I'm new to this forum and just wanted to say hello to all. I've been reading and learning here for a couple of weeks. It's a great forum. I'm still new to fly fishing so I'll try and contribute whenever I can, but not sure how useful it would be to the forum.

Thanks
Old 02-19-2011, 10:32 PM
Administrator

Hardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond repute
Send a message via Yahoo to Hardyreels Send a message via Skype™ to Hardyreels
Default Re: New to the forum

Hey there,

Every post you make contributes to this group, welcome to the board! It's been a while since I was in Brooklyn. Have you ever been over to LI and fished in the Carmans River?

Ard

Life On The Line - Alaska Fishing with Ard

The Alaska Fishing & Outdoors Blog;
Old 02-19-2011, 11:20 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hardyreels View Post
Hey there,

Every post you make contributes to this group, welcome to the board! It's been a while since I was in Brooklyn. Have you ever been over to LI and fished in the Carmans River?

Ard
Thanks!

No I haven't been to the Carman's, I did read about it last night after finding a story about it in these forums.

I am not much of a freshwater fisherman...I started fishing as a kid by catching bluegills in a lake, since then I've managed to catch a few bass (largemouth or smallmouth- I wasn't sure) and thats about the extent of my freshwater fishing experience.

I intend to learn how to catch a trout or two from a river or stream on a fly , I just haven't been able to do it yet. Last winter as a way of combating cabin fever I picked up a vice and began to tie flies, that is very addicting too.

Almost all of my fishing experience is in the salt, and most of it and my love is surf fishing for striped bass. If I hit the lottery I would still be a dedicated surf fisherman. I picked up the fly rod about 3 years ago with the intention of learning to catch a striper, but it has been a slow process for me, as I often go back to my 10 ' 6" surf rod and hunt the striped bass whenever I can.

In the last 2 or 3 years I have collected quite a few fly rods and reels, and lines....some new, some used. I have an 8 wt orvis, an 8/9 wt albright GP, 2 10 wt rods (orvis and st croix), and a 10/11 wt rod (st croix) for the salt--all 9'.
For freshwater I have a 3/4wt 7'6" rod, 5wt orvis 9', and a cheap 5/6 wt scientific anglers rod.

Now I need to figure out what to keep and what will work best for me.

I think I may be a tackle junkie.
Old 02-19-2011, 11:37 PM

ChrisinselwynNZ has much to be proud ofChrisinselwynNZ has much to be proud ofChrisinselwynNZ has much to be proud ofChrisinselwynNZ has much to be proud ofChrisinselwynNZ has much to be proud ofChrisinselwynNZ has much to be proud ofChrisinselwynNZ has much to be proud ofChrisinselwynNZ has much to be proud of

Welcome to the forum, and yes tying flies is very,very addictive

Chris

The New Zealand Flysite

"the fight is for habitait. Once its continuation is assured the fish will largely look after themselves." KD
Old 02-20-2011, 12:44 AM

Davo has much to be proud ofDavo has much to be proud ofDavo has much to be proud ofDavo has much to be proud ofDavo has much to be proud ofDavo has much to be proud ofDavo has much to be proud ofDavo has much to be proud ofDavo has much to be proud ofDavo has much to be proud of
Send a message via MSN to Davo Send a message via Skype™ to Davo

Welcome to the forum. Post your learning experiences so others can see what to expect. Great to have your contributions!!

Upstream Anglers and Outdoor Adventures
Old 02-20-2011, 12:51 AM

caseywise has a reputation beyond reputecaseywise has a reputation beyond reputecaseywise has a reputation beyond reputecaseywise has a reputation beyond reputecaseywise has a reputation beyond reputecaseywise has a reputation beyond reputecaseywise has a reputation beyond reputecaseywise has a reputation beyond reputecaseywise has a reputation beyond reputecaseywise has a reputation beyond reputecaseywise has a reputation beyond repute
Send a message via Yahoo to caseywise

welcome!
i hope you benefit from this collection of knowledge. i know i have.

casey

ARFE
Old 02-20-2011, 01:51 AM
Super Moderator

jpbfly has a reputation beyond reputejpbfly has a reputation beyond reputejpbfly has a reputation beyond reputejpbfly has a reputation beyond reputejpbfly has a reputation beyond reputejpbfly has a reputation beyond reputejpbfly has a reputation beyond reputejpbfly has a reputation beyond reputejpbfly has a reputation beyond reputejpbfly has a reputation beyond reputejpbfly has a reputation beyond repute

to the forum.
Old 02-20-2011, 04:54 AM
EXPATRIATE will become famous soon enoughEXPATRIATE will become famous soon enough

Hale and Welcome. If you're not already fishing mad you soon will be-I hope!
Old 02-20-2011, 11:37 AM

Vans has much to be proud ofVans has much to be proud ofVans has much to be proud ofVans has much to be proud ofVans has much to be proud ofVans has much to be proud ofVans has much to be proud ofVans has much to be proud of

Welcome the NAFFF
Old 02-20-2011, 01:08 PM

Thanks for the welcome...what would be the right forum to ask questions about the gear I have ....how to match it up with the right lines etc?