The North American Fly Fishing Forum

Go Back   The North American Fly Fishing Forum > General Fly Fishing Discussion > General Discussion

General Discussion General discussions regarding fly fishing as a whole. Ask questions. Get answers...

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 02-20-2011, 07:51 AM

alexcirabisi is on a distinguished road
Default introduction

Hello everyone I'm Alex. I am no seasoned fly fisherman. I actually just fell in love with the sport about 2 months ago even tho I've never cast a line or caught a fish fly fishing. What brought me to this sport was working over at 3M Scientific Angler as a temp for 3 months. I was apart of the line making process, I cant tell you how but I put the loops on the end of the lines . I learned alot about fly lines and a bit about actually fishing with them. I'm addicted already. I got my 5/6wt pole with a "preloaded spool" with general aircel I believe which I plan to use on panfish and larger mouths. So being a beginner thought I should find me a good source to get info.
Old 02-20-2011, 08:09 AM

oldman50 is on a distinguished road
Default Re: introduction

Welcome to the forum. Great bunch of guys and gals here. You are very fortunate to have the information at your finger tips. When I started some 30+ yrs ago there were no web sites or even videos. I had to gather all of my info from books and good old trial and error. The learning curve has been greatly decreased. Welcome, and have fun learning. Your first years will be the best years. Always keep learning.
Ron
Old 02-20-2011, 08:45 AM

littledavid123 has a reputation beyond reputelittledavid123 has a reputation beyond reputelittledavid123 has a reputation beyond reputelittledavid123 has a reputation beyond reputelittledavid123 has a reputation beyond reputelittledavid123 has a reputation beyond reputelittledavid123 has a reputation beyond reputelittledavid123 has a reputation beyond reputelittledavid123 has a reputation beyond reputelittledavid123 has a reputation beyond reputelittledavid123 has a reputation beyond repute

Alex

Welcome to the forum. Lot of good people on this site who are willing to help, I also would encourage you to take advantage of the search feature, there is a wealth of information in there.

Dave
Old 02-20-2011, 10:05 AM

Jackster has a brilliant futureJackster has a brilliant futureJackster has a brilliant futureJackster has a brilliant futureJackster has a brilliant futureJackster has a brilliant futureJackster has a brilliant futureJackster has a brilliant futureJackster has a brilliant futureJackster has a brilliant futureJackster has a brilliant future

Welcome. I take it you live near Midland. If so, you have a world of great fly fishing nearby. Warm water fish like bluegill and bass near you and trout in the cold waters north of you. On each coast of that mitten you have salmon and steelhead.
You're in for an adventure that'll keep you going for a lifetime.
Enjoy!
Old 02-20-2011, 11:35 AM

Vans has much to be proud ofVans has much to be proud ofVans has much to be proud ofVans has much to be proud ofVans has much to be proud ofVans has much to be proud ofVans has much to be proud ofVans has much to be proud of

Welcome.

The best thing you can do getting started on this addiction is to take a lesson from a certified instructor. Start your fly fishing adventure knowing how to properly cast. While trying to teach yourself is certainly possible you can very easily pick up some bad habits in your casting technique that will carry through and make things very frustrating for you. Once you have the proper technique down, things really start to fall into place.
Old 02-20-2011, 11:46 AM

Davo has much to be proud ofDavo has much to be proud ofDavo has much to be proud ofDavo has much to be proud ofDavo has much to be proud ofDavo has much to be proud ofDavo has much to be proud ofDavo has much to be proud ofDavo has much to be proud ofDavo has much to be proud of
Send a message via MSN to Davo Send a message via Skype™ to Davo

Welcome, you'll find a lot of helpful info and folks here!!

Upstream Anglers and Outdoor Adventures
Old 02-20-2011, 12:14 PM
Super Moderator

jpbfly has a reputation beyond reputejpbfly has a reputation beyond reputejpbfly has a reputation beyond reputejpbfly has a reputation beyond reputejpbfly has a reputation beyond reputejpbfly has a reputation beyond reputejpbfly has a reputation beyond reputejpbfly has a reputation beyond reputejpbfly has a reputation beyond reputejpbfly has a reputation beyond reputejpbfly has a reputation beyond repute

here...great forum...helpful people
Old 02-20-2011, 12:17 PM

fredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond repute
Thumbs up Re: introduction

Add my Welcome here too! Great Board, and I'd also recommend you take a peek at our 'Mother Board' over in the UK.

Amazing what I've learned from 'over there' that was directly transferable to 'over here.'

Edit: Forgot to ask, where are you located?

Fred Evans
Old 02-21-2011, 06:26 AM

alexcirabisi is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jackster View Post
Welcome. I take it you live near Midland. If so, you have a world of great fly fishing nearby. Warm water fish like bluegill and bass near you and trout in the cold waters north of you. On each coast of that mitten you have salmon and steelhead.
You're in for an adventure that'll keep you going for a lifetime.
Enjoy!
yep right dead center in Midland, Mi. Last year I did ALOT of bluegill and bass with my spinning rod and reel set up. I plan to do the same but with my Fly rod setup, and to be honest I already have a few spots picked out to attempt my first fishing outing. I have access to a very spacious warehouse that I can practice my casting which I plan to start in the next week and will probably practice atleast 5 times a week for a few hours.. atleast I hope the wife will let my get away that much
Old 02-21-2011, 10:18 AM

Jackster has a brilliant futureJackster has a brilliant futureJackster has a brilliant futureJackster has a brilliant futureJackster has a brilliant futureJackster has a brilliant futureJackster has a brilliant futureJackster has a brilliant futureJackster has a brilliant futureJackster has a brilliant futureJackster has a brilliant future

Alex... If and when Bruce Richards ever shows up again at the plant really make an effort to pick his brain or even snag a casting lesson out of him. He truly is one of the best teachers I've seen.