The North American Fly Fishing Forum

Go Back   The North American Fly Fishing Forum > General Fly Fishing Discussion > General Discussion

General Discussion General discussions regarding fly fishing as a whole. Ask questions. Get answers...

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 04-17-2006, 09:49 PM

Funnel30 is on a distinguished road
Default How important is line?

How important is the line? I realize there are DT and WF but how does this factor into the weight of the rod/reel combo? I was looking at lines and didn't see any specific line wt so I just assumed that you can use any line for any sort of combination. So seeing as how people have told me its important to have quality line why is that? Right now I have a 6wt rod/reel combo, would I be able to use the reel/line with a 4wt rod? Is it possible to use the line on my 6wt and transfer it to a 4wt reel and use it with a 4wt rod? Sorry lots of random questions and remedial, but it just doesn't make sense. thanks
curtis
Old 04-17-2006, 10:00 PM

freeze69 will become famous soon enoughfreeze69 will become famous soon enough
Default Re: How important is line?

Funnel30,

I personally don't have the experience to answer this question. although i found a post on here from another user that might just help you out. check out: Rod wt. and line wt. question. type that into search and you should be able to find it. hope it helps you out.
Old 04-17-2006, 10:16 PM
Curtis will become famous soon enoughCurtis will become famous soon enough
Send a message via MSN to Curtis

Each fly line is rated according to the weight of the line itself. Accordingly, the rod manufacturers have designed rods to cast that line weight. Now, a slow action rod will load up under the weight of the line quicker then a stiffer rod but they are intended to cast specific lines.

I think it important to use lines that the rod is intended to cast. While you can cast a six weight line with a four weight rod, you won't be able to get much distance out of it as it will overload your rod very quickly and will not give you the performance it was intended to give with the proper line.

A good quality line is also very important. It will float higher, shoot further and be more consistent in it's makeup then a cheapo.
Old 04-17-2006, 11:21 PM
Joni has a reputation beyond reputeJoni has a reputation beyond reputeJoni has a reputation beyond reputeJoni has a reputation beyond reputeJoni has a reputation beyond reputeJoni has a reputation beyond reputeJoni has a reputation beyond reputeJoni has a reputation beyond reputeJoni has a reputation beyond reputeJoni has a reputation beyond reputeJoni has a reputation beyond repute
Thumbs up Re: How important is line?

Curtis hit the nail on the head again. Specially on floating line and the better the line the easier it is to cast and it will last longer. The pricie ones have a slick coating on them and they don't require cleaning or dressing (which I still clean mine once a month) But, there is Cortland Sylk and I am sure others that are fantastic lines, but they do require the mantinance.
The Double Taper (DT)
A double taper fly line is a fly line that is heavy and thicker middle section, and then gradually loses both width and weight the closer it gets to the end of the fly line. What is important to remember about double taper fly line is that it is balanced - both ends of the fly line weigh the same and each end gradually increases in width and weight the closer it gets to the middle section of the fly line at an equal rate.

For example, at double taper fly line is 90 feet long. In the first 15 feet of the fly line (the end closest to the fly), the fly line increases both in width and weight as it travels towards the middle of the line. Upon reaching 15, the fly line reaches the middle section of the fly line - which is the maximum width and weight of the fly line. This middle section of the fly line continues for 60 feet, with the same weight and width. Then, in the final 15 feet of fly line (the end closest to the reel), the fly line begins to lose both width and weight at the same rate it was gained on the other end of the fly line.

Double taper fly lines use to be the most popular fly line, especially for trout fishing. The light taper on the front of the fly line allows for the fly line to land on the water without creating a spectacle, and the weighted middle of the fly line allows for solid general fly casting. The double taper line is also excellent for casting using either S casts or the roll cast, as the weight in the middle of the fly line makes this easier. The double taper fly line also allows it to be "reversed". Should the front of the fly line begin to wear out, all you need to do is to turn the fly line around.

However, the double taper fly line, while still popular, has lost ground to the weight-forward taper. This taper is described next.

------------------------------------------------------------------------
The Weight Forward Taper (WF)
The weight forward taper fly line is the most popular fly line on the market today - as well as being the most expensive.

A fly line that has a weight forward taper has extra weight and width built into the first 30 feet of the fly line, although some specialized lines extend or shorten this taper. The rest of the fly line will then be level, of equal weight and width for the remainder of the fly lines length. The advantages of a weight forward fly line include longer casts, the casting of larger flies and more effective casts in windy conditions.

One thing to remember - because extra weight and width are on one end of the fly line, it is crucial that the line be put on correctly. You want the extra weight and width of the fly line to be on the end of the fly line, not tied onto the reel! A weight forward taper fly line also cannot be reversed in the event the end of the line becomes cracked or damaged.

For beginner anglers, weight forward fly lines are the recommended fly line to get. They are easier to cast than other fly lines, allowing for better control and longer casts. Additionally, weight forward fly lines are always used when casting things like bass bugs and streamers - in short, heavy things.

This has it's flaws also due to the fact that a lot of manufacturers are now coming out with special WF for different species, but the general idea.
There is also level lines and Triangle tapers, but WF and DT are the most used.
Old 04-19-2006, 04:57 PM

steelheadrob is on a distinguished road
Send a message via MSN to steelheadrob

A weight forward flyline is one of the most common and versatile flylines made today. If you are trout fishing or casting short distances a WF or DT would be fine, the advantage of the DT is you can flip it around when your front part wears out, HOWEVER if you are casting long distances so the head + running line if any of the 2nd taper is also being cast then the cast will become very inefficient.
Each rod wt should be matched with its line wt. So a 6wt rod should use a 6wt line. If you were to use your 6wt reel and line on your 4wt you would overload the rod considerably. With todays graphite technology you wouldn't destroy the rod like you would if it was bamboo, but it is not a good idea. If you were to underline your rod (meaning using your 4wt reel / line on your 6wt) you would have serious difficulty loading the rod. The best idea would be to get 2 seperate reels and lines. Orivs makes very nice and fairly affordable trout reels (battenkill series etc). Linewise the best bet would be Scientific Angles (SA) or if you would prefer somthing a little less pricey go with Cortland and in my opinion go with the WF line.

Hope this helps