The North American Fly Fishing Forum

The North American Fly Fishing Forum (http://www.theflyfishingforum.com/forums/)
-   General Discussion (http://www.theflyfishingforum.com/forums/general-discussion/)
-   -   Loops or Knots (http://www.theflyfishingforum.com/forums/general-discussion/10648-loops-knots.html)

reckless 07-19-2009 06:45 AM

Loops or Knots

With a lot of the top end fly lines coming with welded loops a friend of mine says I am nuts for cutting them off and tying my backing or leaders on with good old fashioned knots.

Am I nuts???????
:confused:

Frank Whiton 07-19-2009 07:05 AM

Re: Loops or Knots

Hi Reckless,

If you prefer to cut off the loop then go for it. As long as you seal the end of the line so water doesn't migrate up the line. There is nothing wrong with removing the loop. If you are fishing saltwater you need to make sure the knot to the running line will fit through the tip top of the rod.

Frank

arfishinbear 07-19-2009 09:50 AM

To each their own. I myself LOVE to new lines with loops, but I have used loop to loop connections for years. They are so much faster and easier to change leaders over. The knots system has worked for mnay years and if thats your cup of tea, then go for it.
Bear

Jackster 07-19-2009 10:35 AM

I like the loops and use them until they fail as they inevitably will.
When they are in good shape and not cracked, they do double the flotation at the tip where most floating lines tend to sink.

reckless 07-20-2009 07:01 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Frank Whiton (Post 66880)
Hi Reckless,

If you prefer to cut off the loop then go for it. As long as you seal the end of the line so water doesn't migrate up the line. There is nothing wrong with removing the loop. If you are fishing saltwater you need to make sure the knot to the running line will fit through the tip top of the rod.

Frank

Thanks Frank, I had never sealed the ends and your reply made me dash for the study to supaglue all of the ends. Thanks

reckless 07-20-2009 07:02 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Jackster (Post 66887)
I like the loops and use them until they fail as they inevitably will.
When they are in good shape and not cracked, they do double the flotation at the tip where most floating lines tend to sink.

Great point about the floatation, I had never given that a thought. Does a sinking line with a loop sink faster?????

HuronRiverDan 07-20-2009 07:33 AM

Don't count on the super glue to seal the ends; use pliobond or something similar. Why spend the money on a premium line if you're going to cut the ends off? I like the loop system, they are a quick change if I need to change my leader and they are IMO more secure. My $0.02 worth...

Dan

nO NECK 07-21-2009 02:09 PM

Stay with the loops. The way premium lines are now that is the way to go