The North American Fly Fishing Forum

Go Back   The North American Fly Fishing Forum > General Fly Fishing Discussion > General Discussion

General Discussion General discussions regarding fly fishing as a whole. Ask questions. Get answers...

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 07-19-2009, 06:45 AM

reckless is on a distinguished road
Default Loops or Knots

With a lot of the top end fly lines coming with welded loops a friend of mine says I am nuts for cutting them off and tying my backing or leaders on with good old fashioned knots.

Am I nuts???????
Old 07-19-2009, 07:05 AM
Administrator

Frank Whiton has a reputation beyond reputeFrank Whiton has a reputation beyond reputeFrank Whiton has a reputation beyond reputeFrank Whiton has a reputation beyond reputeFrank Whiton has a reputation beyond reputeFrank Whiton has a reputation beyond reputeFrank Whiton has a reputation beyond reputeFrank Whiton has a reputation beyond reputeFrank Whiton has a reputation beyond reputeFrank Whiton has a reputation beyond reputeFrank Whiton has a reputation beyond repute
Send a message via Skype™ to Frank Whiton
Default Re: Loops or Knots

Hi Reckless,

If you prefer to cut off the loop then go for it. As long as you seal the end of the line so water doesn't migrate up the line. There is nothing wrong with removing the loop. If you are fishing saltwater you need to make sure the knot to the running line will fit through the tip top of the rod.

Frank
Old 07-19-2009, 09:50 AM

arfishinbear has much to be proud ofarfishinbear has much to be proud ofarfishinbear has much to be proud ofarfishinbear has much to be proud ofarfishinbear has much to be proud ofarfishinbear has much to be proud ofarfishinbear has much to be proud ofarfishinbear has much to be proud ofarfishinbear has much to be proud of

To each their own. I myself LOVE to new lines with loops, but I have used loop to loop connections for years. They are so much faster and easier to change leaders over. The knots system has worked for mnay years and if thats your cup of tea, then go for it.
Bear
Old 07-19-2009, 10:35 AM

Jackster has a brilliant futureJackster has a brilliant futureJackster has a brilliant futureJackster has a brilliant futureJackster has a brilliant futureJackster has a brilliant futureJackster has a brilliant futureJackster has a brilliant futureJackster has a brilliant futureJackster has a brilliant futureJackster has a brilliant future

I like the loops and use them until they fail as they inevitably will.
When they are in good shape and not cracked, they do double the flotation at the tip where most floating lines tend to sink.
Old 07-20-2009, 07:01 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Frank Whiton View Post
Hi Reckless,

If you prefer to cut off the loop then go for it. As long as you seal the end of the line so water doesn't migrate up the line. There is nothing wrong with removing the loop. If you are fishing saltwater you need to make sure the knot to the running line will fit through the tip top of the rod.

Frank
Thanks Frank, I had never sealed the ends and your reply made me dash for the study to supaglue all of the ends. Thanks
Old 07-20-2009, 07:02 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jackster View Post
I like the loops and use them until they fail as they inevitably will.
When they are in good shape and not cracked, they do double the flotation at the tip where most floating lines tend to sink.
Great point about the floatation, I had never given that a thought. Does a sinking line with a loop sink faster?????
Old 07-20-2009, 07:33 AM

HuronRiverDan has a brilliant futureHuronRiverDan has a brilliant futureHuronRiverDan has a brilliant futureHuronRiverDan has a brilliant futureHuronRiverDan has a brilliant futureHuronRiverDan has a brilliant futureHuronRiverDan has a brilliant futureHuronRiverDan has a brilliant futureHuronRiverDan has a brilliant futureHuronRiverDan has a brilliant futureHuronRiverDan has a brilliant future
Send a message via Yahoo to HuronRiverDan

Don't count on the super glue to seal the ends; use pliobond or something similar. Why spend the money on a premium line if you're going to cut the ends off? I like the loop system, they are a quick change if I need to change my leader and they are IMO more secure. My $0.02 worth...

Dan
Old 07-21-2009, 02:09 PM

nO NECK is on a distinguished road

Stay with the loops. The way premium lines are now that is the way to go