The North American Fly Fishing Forum

Go Back   The North American Fly Fishing Forum > General Fly Fishing Discussion > General Discussion

General Discussion General discussions regarding fly fishing as a whole. Ask questions. Get answers...

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 07-20-2009, 01:52 PM
Super Moderator

BigCliff has a brilliant futureBigCliff has a brilliant futureBigCliff has a brilliant futureBigCliff has a brilliant futureBigCliff has a brilliant futureBigCliff has a brilliant futureBigCliff has a brilliant futureBigCliff has a brilliant futureBigCliff has a brilliant futureBigCliff has a brilliant futureBigCliff has a brilliant future
Default Distant Oasis- South Llano River Report

I'd somehow never fished the Llano river before, but decided that streak needed to end. It also also happens to be the only river with sufficient flows for decent fishing in South Texas currently, so I decided the time was prime.

Its a good further than I normally drive for river fishing, so I got an early start.
Click the image to open in full size.

Early + altitude= South Texas July Miracle

Some fat schmuck tried to walk in on the slick concrete, 80% dunked himself, and lost a bottle he bought last summer....(whoops, told too much) Had to come back for it an hour later.

For Outcast

I really didn't expect to drive 2 hours into the desert to find a river that looked so much like the damn Rappahannock.

Most all of this stretch was too deep to wade but I managed a few sunfish and bass. This ballsy little guy took a new fly I'm fairly certain is pure genius.

I was glad I had a back up spot in mind nearby, and was quite thrilled with what was waiting for me.

I walked up that last run and found a few feisty playmates. Those RGP's are a favorite of mine, and this river turned out to be a goldmine.

Headed back downstream and discovered that the river is split into FIVE different tumbling channels in this one stretch. Here's two of them-

Picked up a few in fast water just below the crossing, and quickly got into repeated big slow flats with riffles in between. I was taunted by anorexic Redhorse all day.

Runt beds-

Best bass habitat I've seen in a river. Might have been 400 total yds of this. Wish I'd grabbed the 7-iron-

More bass-

Damsel nymph was a no-brainer, given the thousands airborne-

DSFK

And a snack from Cooper's for the ride home-

I'd rather hunt fish than bait deer any day.
Old 07-21-2009, 03:12 PM
Super Moderator

BigCliff has a brilliant futureBigCliff has a brilliant futureBigCliff has a brilliant futureBigCliff has a brilliant futureBigCliff has a brilliant futureBigCliff has a brilliant futureBigCliff has a brilliant futureBigCliff has a brilliant futureBigCliff has a brilliant futureBigCliff has a brilliant futureBigCliff has a brilliant future
Default Re: Distant Oasis- South Llano River Report

No replies and 4 views? Jeebus, is this just a noob gear forum?

sorry, rant ovr

Old 07-21-2009, 04:19 PM
Super Moderator

fyshstykr has a reputation beyond reputefyshstykr has a reputation beyond reputefyshstykr has a reputation beyond reputefyshstykr has a reputation beyond reputefyshstykr has a reputation beyond reputefyshstykr has a reputation beyond reputefyshstykr has a reputation beyond reputefyshstykr has a reputation beyond reputefyshstykr has a reputation beyond reputefyshstykr has a reputation beyond reputefyshstykr has a reputation beyond repute

Fun looking river cliff, especially liked the sunken tree area.

I see you were fishing with your Tenkara rod, very intrigueing(sp) technique.

So, tell me what the letters above the Ol'Diamond back meant? (DSFK)?

*Comments posted above are only my opinion. I may be right....ehhh.....I'm certain they're wrong. Take 'em for what they're worth.*

Old 07-21-2009, 06:17 PM
Administrator

Frank Whiton has a reputation beyond reputeFrank Whiton has a reputation beyond reputeFrank Whiton has a reputation beyond reputeFrank Whiton has a reputation beyond reputeFrank Whiton has a reputation beyond reputeFrank Whiton has a reputation beyond reputeFrank Whiton has a reputation beyond reputeFrank Whiton has a reputation beyond reputeFrank Whiton has a reputation beyond reputeFrank Whiton has a reputation beyond reputeFrank Whiton has a reputation beyond repute
Send a message via Skype™ to Frank Whiton

Hi Cliff,

Thanks for the pictures. I worked in that area back in the 60's. I had people working in Llano, Junction and Brady. It seemed like every time I saw the Llano River it was in flood stage. I remember a great Bar-B-Q spot and I think it was in Llano. Right on the highway and I seem to remember a screen front. We use to go out of our way to eat there.

This looks like a good river for a canoe?

Frank
Old 07-21-2009, 06:48 PM
SJDrifli will become famous soon enoughSJDrifli will become famous soon enough

To Outcast

Nice report Cliff!!!
Old 07-21-2009, 09:17 PM
Super Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Frank Whiton View Post
Hi Cliff,

Thanks for the pictures. I worked in that area back in the 60's. I had people working in Llano, Junction and Brady. It seemed like every time I saw the Llano River it was in flood stage. I remember a great Bar-B-Q spot and I think it was in Llano. Right on the highway and I seem to remember a screen front. We use to go out of our way to eat there.

This looks like a good river for a canoe?

Frank
The place you're recalling is Cooper's. The original is in Llano, but they have locations in Mason, Junction, and most recently New Braunfels. The original is the Llano location and the lines at the place are ridiculous- like an hour plus at 3pm.

That river would be ideal for a canoe. I'll be trying to float it instead of wade on future trips.

Old 07-21-2009, 09:37 PM

Davec921 has a spectacular aura aboutDavec921 has a spectacular aura aboutDavec921 has a spectacular aura about

Beautiful rivers.
The snake would have scarred the be geeebeees out of me.
The damsel nymph you used you have a recipe on that.
DAVE
Old 07-21-2009, 10:29 PM
Super Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Davec921 View Post
Beautiful rivers.
The snake would have scarred the be geeebeees out of me.
The damsel nymph you used you have a recipe on that.
DAVE

Hook- streamer or 200R, size 10
Eyes- small Black beadchain
Tail/abdomen/wingcase- marabou fibers and krystal flash
Thorax- sparkly matching dubbing

Tie in beadchain eyes one hook-eye back from eye
Mix strands of marabou and KF, tie in as tail.
Twist them and wrap up to thorax, tie off and tie in up to and over beadchain, with excess sticking over hook eye.
Dub thorax.
Pull excess fibers back and tie in as shellback behind the eyes.

Super simple fly. I suppose mono eyes would be a bit more realistic, but I like a little weight to get the fly down and impart some jigging action.