The North American Fly Fishing Forum

Go Back   The North American Fly Fishing Forum > General Fly Fishing Discussion > General Discussion

General Discussion General discussions regarding fly fishing as a whole. Ask questions. Get answers...

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 02-21-2011, 03:16 PM

chi flyfisher is a splendid one to beholdchi flyfisher is a splendid one to beholdchi flyfisher is a splendid one to beholdchi flyfisher is a splendid one to beholdchi flyfisher is a splendid one to beholdchi flyfisher is a splendid one to behold
Default Flying with Flies

Do you check your flies? They're considered sharp objects, I suppose. I was going to check - and I've always checked before. But if I could carry them on that would be my preference.

Cheers,

Mike.
Old 02-21-2011, 03:22 PM

gt05254 has a brilliant futuregt05254 has a brilliant futuregt05254 has a brilliant futuregt05254 has a brilliant futuregt05254 has a brilliant futuregt05254 has a brilliant futuregt05254 has a brilliant futuregt05254 has a brilliant futuregt05254 has a brilliant futuregt05254 has a brilliant futuregt05254 has a brilliant future
Default Re: Flying with Flies

I think you will find that even though airlineX gives you what you believe to be a definitive answer, it will still all remain up to the vagaries in judgement of individual TSA personnel and what they feel like you can take aboard on any given day. And there is no rhyme or reason for their decisions on any given day. The list of horror stories along these lines is a very long one, indeed. And remember, you could strangle somebody with the fly line wrapped around the reel you wanted to carry on!
Flying's just not fun anymore,
Gary
Old 02-21-2011, 06:38 PM

troutdoorsman is a splendid one to beholdtroutdoorsman is a splendid one to beholdtroutdoorsman is a splendid one to beholdtroutdoorsman is a splendid one to beholdtroutdoorsman is a splendid one to beholdtroutdoorsman is a splendid one to beholdtroutdoorsman is a splendid one to behold

I have flown a few times with multiple flies stuck in my hat and had no issues I wouldn't think they would give you too much of a problem.
Old 02-21-2011, 07:23 PM

littledavid123 has a reputation beyond reputelittledavid123 has a reputation beyond reputelittledavid123 has a reputation beyond reputelittledavid123 has a reputation beyond reputelittledavid123 has a reputation beyond reputelittledavid123 has a reputation beyond reputelittledavid123 has a reputation beyond reputelittledavid123 has a reputation beyond reputelittledavid123 has a reputation beyond reputelittledavid123 has a reputation beyond reputelittledavid123 has a reputation beyond repute

I have lost so many pocket knives to these folks! aaagh I would split my flies between gate check and baggage check, only way to "almost" guarantee that you arrive with gear.

Dave
Old 02-23-2011, 02:44 PM

sxm has a spectacular aura aboutsxm has a spectacular aura about

Always carry flies on board. TSA agents sometime get weirded out.."Real flies?"

Be prepared to open the case and show and explain.

But that little old lady with the knitting needle is far more of a danger than me with a few #2 Clousers.
Old 02-23-2011, 05:40 PM

JoJer is a splendid one to beholdJoJer is a splendid one to beholdJoJer is a splendid one to beholdJoJer is a splendid one to beholdJoJer is a splendid one to beholdJoJer is a splendid one to beholdJoJer is a splendid one to behold

I've often wondered about flying with gear. Not so much the flies, though I wouldn't doubt that some agents would disallow them, but my hemostats, knot tools, hook file?
Old 02-23-2011, 06:38 PM

sxm has a spectacular aura aboutsxm has a spectacular aura about

Don't take clamps or pliers or such on board. Flies, rod, reel and leader, yes.
Old 02-23-2011, 07:12 PM

Pocono has a reputation beyond reputePocono has a reputation beyond reputePocono has a reputation beyond reputePocono has a reputation beyond reputePocono has a reputation beyond reputePocono has a reputation beyond reputePocono has a reputation beyond reputePocono has a reputation beyond reputePocono has a reputation beyond reputePocono has a reputation beyond reputePocono has a reputation beyond repute

I check them whenever I travel; in with my fishing gear. But, I also check my rods and reels, so I guess I'm more trusting of baggage transport than some. Multiple trips / no bad experiences .................. yet!

Pocono
Old 02-23-2011, 08:32 PM

ghocevar has much to be proud ofghocevar has much to be proud ofghocevar has much to be proud ofghocevar has much to be proud ofghocevar has much to be proud ofghocevar has much to be proud ofghocevar has much to be proud ofghocevar has much to be proud ofghocevar has much to be proud of

I always carry my gear on (minus the waders and boots)...Store everything in my Fishpond Dakota Carry-on...Fly boxes and flies, rods, reels and line, forceps, nippers, and even floatant...You get the idea - I take EVERYTHING. I hate checking any of that stuff because loss or theft can quickly ruin a fishing trip and that, for me, outweighs the hassle of carrying a bag on to the plane. Anyhow, out of all the times that I have gone through the TSA line, I have only been questioned twice; "Where was I going fly fishing?", and "what are those sticks in your bag?(they were my 4 piece rods)." In my experience, the majority of the TSA agents know what the stuff is as I am sure they have seen it more than once, but Gary is right...it all depends on who you get to screen your gear at the airport. Until I am told otherwise, its all going on the plane with me and in to the overhead compartment.
Greg
Old 02-23-2011, 08:56 PM

ctious is on a distinguished road

i once was told that i could not carry my rods on.... they said they would check them... i said no.. they are not leaving my hand... they said well you cant take them on board... i said then i guess i am not getting on board... to shorten the story.... after a lil chat with a the supervisor and getting the pilots ok.. i was sitting on the plane with my rods..