The North American Fly Fishing Forum

Go Back   The North American Fly Fishing Forum > General Fly Fishing Discussion > General Discussion

General Discussion General discussions regarding fly fishing as a whole. Ask questions. Get answers...

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 02-21-2011, 05:24 PM

ctious is on a distinguished road
Default so honeymoon is the bahamas...

yes i think that is there we are going... Sooooooo seeing i am there..... i figure i better bring a fly rod or 5.. ... anyone have any info for me???

will be in june... and if we dont go there we are looking at Hawaii...
Old 02-21-2011, 05:26 PM
Administrator

mcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: so honeymoon is the bahamas...

You might want to read this thread Pocono just got back, if you have any questions send him a PM.
** retired! **

Old 02-21-2011, 06:14 PM

cnanoski has a spectacular aura aboutcnanoski has a spectacular aura about

You better bring your rod on your honeymoon!!! What were we talking about again??
Old 02-21-2011, 11:26 PM

GLuXuRy is on a distinguished road

dont they have good Bonefish fly fishing in the bahamas ?
Old 02-22-2011, 06:09 AM

gt05254 has a brilliant futuregt05254 has a brilliant futuregt05254 has a brilliant futuregt05254 has a brilliant futuregt05254 has a brilliant futuregt05254 has a brilliant futuregt05254 has a brilliant futuregt05254 has a brilliant futuregt05254 has a brilliant futuregt05254 has a brilliant futuregt05254 has a brilliant future

There is WONDERFUL bonefishing in the Bahamas. I fish out of South Andros every year, and have a great time. Nothing like a little time in the Bahamas in the middle of a Vermont winter!
Gary
Old 02-22-2011, 08:37 AM

oregonism is a jewel in the roughoregonism is a jewel in the roughoregonism is a jewel in the rough

If you want to pay a lot and go in a skiff, go to Andros. If you want to DIY on a budget, go to Eleuthera (which for me meant a lot more days on the water). I went to Eleuthera on my honeymoon for 20 days and had a blast learning how to bonefish. Only caught a few, but it was satisfying being able to figure it all out on my own. PM me if you want locations of the good flats and which flies to use and what time of day, etc.
Old 02-22-2011, 10:44 AM

gt05254 has a brilliant futuregt05254 has a brilliant futuregt05254 has a brilliant futuregt05254 has a brilliant futuregt05254 has a brilliant futuregt05254 has a brilliant futuregt05254 has a brilliant futuregt05254 has a brilliant futuregt05254 has a brilliant futuregt05254 has a brilliant futuregt05254 has a brilliant future

With all due respect, I suspect that there may be more variables in the equation than Oreganism presents. While he presents a lovely and simplistic view of bonefishing in the Bahamas, perhaps variables like "catch a lot of fish"/don't catch a lot of fish" or even "go places in a skiff far from beaches/don't go places in a skiff far from beaches" or even "only have 6 days/have 20 days" could sway a person's decisions. Those of us that have posted on this thread have probably pretty much figured out how they like to do things, now the original poster gets to sift through it all and decide how he'd like to do it. Ain't life grand?
Gary

addendum: If I were on my honeymoon and it was, say, 7 days long, I'd assume I'd only get to fish a day or two. Were that the case, I would totally hire a guide and his skiff and get me into fish for my limited available time. Fortunately, my honeymoon was over a LONG time ago (as was my divorce, LOL). The old "I know you said you fish a lot, but I didn't know that meant you fish THIS much" comes into play here.
Old 02-22-2011, 12:25 PM

oregonism is a jewel in the roughoregonism is a jewel in the roughoregonism is a jewel in the rough

Quote:
Originally Posted by gt05254 View Post
With all due respect, I suspect that there may be more variables in the equation than Oreganism presents. While he presents a lovely and simplistic view of bonefishing in the Bahamas, perhaps variables like "catch a lot of fish"/don't catch a lot of fish" or even "go places in a skiff far from beaches/don't go places in a skiff far from beaches" or even "only have 6 days/have 20 days" could sway a person's decisions. Those of us that have posted on this thread have probably pretty much figured out how they like to do things, now the original poster gets to sift through it all and decide how he'd like to do it. Ain't life grand?
Gary

addendum: If I were on my honeymoon and it was, say, 7 days long, I'd assume I'd only get to fish a day or two. Were that the case, I would totally hire a guide and his skiff and get me into fish for my limited available time. Fortunately, my honeymoon was over a LONG time ago (as was my divorce, LOL). The old "I know you said you fish a lot, but I didn't know that meant you fish THIS much" comes into play here.
I totally agree. I guess if you had very few days to fish, a couple long days with a guide would be ideal.

If you have longer like I did, and a smaller budget like I did, you can get around Eleuthera for pretty cheap. Your rental car is basically your skiff, and there are numerous flats to fish throughout the island. You can fish both sides of the island, and therefore hit two tide tables that are roughly two hours apart.

Luckily, my wife likes that I love to fish and also likes to read a book on the beaches of the Bahamas, so it was a win-win.
Old 02-22-2011, 12:35 PM

I googled around on Eleuthera; it looks like a good deal and a nice place and a person could fish at their own pace. I could easily see doing it, and thanks for bringing it to our attention, Oregonism. (Love the name)
Gary
Old 02-22-2011, 04:03 PM

ctious is on a distinguished road

it looks very nice.... i have some more digging to do on it but we may have a winner.... was thinking one week... but after looking at vids and pics... i am thinking 2 weeks...