The North American Fly Fishing Forum
Go Back   The North American Fly Fishing Forum > General Fly Fishing Discussion > General Discussion

General Discussion General discussions regarding fly fishing as a whole. Ask questions. Get answers...

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 02-21-2011, 06:22 PM

wateroksnmud will become famous soon enough
Default Companies and gear

So as the cash is slowly being added to my account, and I try to plan where to disperse it I have a few questions coming through my head that I would like answered and opinions on.

1) What reels manufacturers build in the US and NOT over seas? I'm looking hard at the Vexsis 1.5 for my Scott G2. US based AND Colorado based.

2) I'm looking at chest setup (not a vest) and am looking for any input of chest setups versus fanny pack style.

3) What companies are US based? I'm liking William Joseph but with our economy, I want to help as much as I can.

4) Fisknat or Bordin?

5) Whats the REAL difference in the Simms G3 and G4 waders?

I prefer the backcountry but will also fish stream side roads if this has influence to your answers.
Old 02-21-2011, 06:39 PM

Davo has much to be proud ofDavo has much to be proud ofDavo has much to be proud ofDavo has much to be proud ofDavo has much to be proud ofDavo has much to be proud ofDavo has much to be proud ofDavo has much to be proud ofDavo has much to be proud ofDavo has much to be proud of
Send a message via MSN to Davo Send a message via Skype™ to Davo
Default Re: Companies and gear

wateroksnmud

On the topic of chest packs I've been eyeing the Fishpond Waterdance Guide Pack. It can be worn as a chest or lumbar pack.

Click the image to open in full size.

Upstream Anglers and Outdoor Adventures
Old 02-21-2011, 06:53 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Davo View Post
wateroksnmud

On the topic of chest packs I've been eyeing the Fishpond Waterdance Guide Pack. It can be worn as a chest or lumbar pack.

I heard the other day that the waterdance is the best you can get right now, that being from the mouth of a knowledgeable person here in town. The only thing that I dont like, as I owned one similar in the past, is the rubbing on the back of the neck. I think I'll end up with the waterdance, but some how rig it up to pull some tension off the neck. I like the orvis style mesh back, but I hate name brand...ugh!
Old 02-21-2011, 06:57 PM
Administrator

Hardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond repute
Send a message via Yahoo to Hardyreels Send a message via Skype™ to Hardyreels

I needed to replace waders in late 2009 and I took the G3 and thought they were tough enough and expensive enough for me. I am hard on waders and so need good tough materials in them. I did send them in to Simms at the one year mark to take advantage of their refurbish policy and they were quick in getting them back to me. They stated that they had found several leaks and had repaired them. I hadn't noticed moisture but apparently they found some problems.

If you but the G3 look at the warranty papers and take advantage of the annual check up for the item.

Ard

Life On The Line - Alaska Fishing with Ard

The Alaska Fishing & Outdoors Blog;
Old 02-21-2011, 07:11 PM

littledavid123 has a reputation beyond reputelittledavid123 has a reputation beyond reputelittledavid123 has a reputation beyond reputelittledavid123 has a reputation beyond reputelittledavid123 has a reputation beyond reputelittledavid123 has a reputation beyond reputelittledavid123 has a reputation beyond reputelittledavid123 has a reputation beyond reputelittledavid123 has a reputation beyond reputelittledavid123 has a reputation beyond reputelittledavid123 has a reputation beyond repute

I haven't tried it on to check the comfort but you might check out Orvis's sling pack. Slide it to your back when not in use but when you need something it slides to the front like a chest pack.

Dave
Old 02-21-2011, 10:26 PM

I like this idea as I think it would keep the neck from rubbing.

I'm looking hard at fishponds gear though. Always been a fan, and love that they're local. Love to support my local companies as much as possible. If fishpond had something like this Id' be all over it.
Old 02-21-2011, 11:23 PM

GLuXuRy is on a distinguished road

for number 1

Im pretty sure all Abel reels are made in the US .. someone could correct me .. thats one reason why they are so $$$
Old 02-22-2011, 12:06 AM

MoscaPescador has a reputation beyond reputeMoscaPescador has a reputation beyond reputeMoscaPescador has a reputation beyond reputeMoscaPescador has a reputation beyond reputeMoscaPescador has a reputation beyond reputeMoscaPescador has a reputation beyond reputeMoscaPescador has a reputation beyond reputeMoscaPescador has a reputation beyond reputeMoscaPescador has a reputation beyond reputeMoscaPescador has a reputation beyond reputeMoscaPescador has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by wateroksnmud View Post
1) What reels manufacturers build in the US and NOT over seas? I'm looking hard at the Vexsis 1.5 for my Scott G2. US based AND Colorado based.
Abel, Tibor, Billy Pate, Galvan, Ross USA (not Ross Worldwide), Hatch Outdoors, Waterworks/Lamson (still unsure if Konic and Guru are made in USA), Bauer, Nautilus, Solitude

Quote:
2) I'm looking at chest setup (not a vest) and am looking for any input of chest setups versus fanny pack style.
Go to a shop or sports show, and try some on. Imagine what your needs are going to be, and make your selection of packs based off of them.

With that said, I lean more towards the Willy J and Fishpond products.

Quote:
3) What companies are US based? I'm liking William Joseph but with our economy, I want to help as much as I can.
Most of the more popular brands are US based. A few examples that are not US based are: Hardy/Greys (UK), G Loomis (owned by Shimano), Islander (Canadian)

Quote:
4) Fisknat or Bordin?
Never heard of Fisknat. By "Bordin," I assume you mean Brodin. Brodin makes beautiful nets. They seem to last. When my mesh net wears down, I will replace it with a ghost net.

Quote:
5) Whats the REAL difference in the Simms G3 and G4 waders?
G3 Pro waders are only heavier in the legs. G4 Pro waders are heavier in the legs, up to the crotch, and in the seat. Someone who wants comfort and mobility is better off with the G3 Pro model. Someone who wants more durability should opt for the G4 Pro model.

Also the G4 Pro has a pass through handwarmer pocket that has splashproof zippers on each side.

MP
Old 02-22-2011, 01:50 AM

gofisch is on a distinguished road

I second the Fishpond Waterdance Guide Pack. I have used it to guide for the last 3 years and it is still holding up like new. Lots of space, I carry 2 small C&F boxes, 2 large boxes, camera, floatant, split shot etc., still have room. As far as the strap rubbing the neck, I don't like that idea either, so instead I wear it as a reverse waist pack (facing the front) and remove the neck strap. The straps are wide enough that they will hold the pack in place on your waist without any discomfort. PRICE is my only real issue, but after using it for 3 years and counting I'd say it is worth the money.

I also like William Joseph packs and waders. I have had a pair of Drynamic waders for the past two years. Zip up fleece hand-warmer pockets + gear pockets front and back. D-loop for net. Double taped seams; inside and out. The socks have a rubberized material on the bottom to help stop them from rubbing in the boots and causing unnecessary friction. They are lightweight.

I like the Measure Nets. You can measure the fish without having to handle it. You can get a rubberized mesh bag for it. My fishing buddy has a Brodin ghost net. It is a really beautiful net like MP said.

Last edited by gofisch; 02-22-2011 at 02:08 AM.
Old 02-22-2011, 02:24 PM

tbone616 is on a distinguished road

Well I'm personally a big fan of LL Bean. All the gear I have from them is excellent quality and very reasonably priced as well. They are a US company and the best bang for your buck in my opinion. I have their fly vest and absolutely love it. The most comfortable vest/chest pack I have ever had. I spend a lot of time on day trips in the Rockies so I usually carry a lunch and various other necessities for a day on the water away from the vehicle and this vest holds everything I need in comfort. Plus it was only $100

As well as my rain jacket which is bar none the best I have ever had and it was only $80 bucks, quarter the price of my buddies Simms and good enough to have him convert when it's time for him to get a new one.

My favorite rod is also LL Bean, it's a Orion 3, 4pc, 5wt and the precursor to their new Silver Ghost series.