The North American Fly Fishing Forum

Go Back   The North American Fly Fishing Forum > General Fly Fishing Discussion > General Discussion

General Discussion General discussions regarding fly fishing as a whole. Ask questions. Get answers...

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 02-21-2011, 10:15 PM

gordon in nc has a spectacular aura aboutgordon in nc has a spectacular aura aboutgordon in nc has a spectacular aura about
Default Leaders .. Newb .. EDUCATE me

Leaders .. Education, Please ....

Hi to all,

Leaders and the mystery thereof ...

Your thoughts are more than welcome.

1. Store bought TAPERED leaders .. good to go .. price is moderate.

2. Handmade / home brewed leaders (Mono .. Fluro material)
A. Cost effective?
B. Fun to work with / make.
C. Thrill of using and catching a fish on "homebrew".
D. Too many Knots to "worry" with ... ?

3. Furled Leaders ...
A. Store bought ... price?
B. Crafty members on line that sell such ... ?
C. Get ambitious and make your own ?
D. Mono / Fluro .. again ?
E. Make 'em from THREAD ?
F. Be confused by all that is on the Internet ?

4. Read a book on leaders and drink wine ....

Gordon in NC
Old 02-21-2011, 11:01 PM

raindogt has much to be proud ofraindogt has much to be proud ofraindogt has much to be proud ofraindogt has much to be proud ofraindogt has much to be proud ofraindogt has much to be proud ofraindogt has much to be proud ofraindogt has much to be proud of
Default Re: Leaders .. Newb .. EDUCATE me

Well.... you can never go wrong with # 4--- In fact I'd suggest you substitute the book for another bottle (or 2).... Books are over-rated

As for the leaders-- I'd say if you have a few more weeks/ months of winter like many of us-- go for it.

Further, I'd say get 'ambitious' and do the furl dance. Really, the jig is the biggest 'inconvenience' of furled leaders. Once that is done, the furling is rather fun.

I would say devise a jig with adjustable posts--- use a 't' channel or the like to be able to slide your posts up and down the board. Also, consider a hinge (or 2) in the board itself (storage. Portability as well, although-- I've never thought to myself 'hmmmm.... sure would like to travel with my furling board'...)
Old 02-22-2011, 08:32 AM

araitim is just really nicearaitim is just really nicearaitim is just really nicearaitim is just really nice

my opinion is to Furle your own, its fun and after you spend the about $10 for the supplys you can make any size you want. plus its one more way to save money.
Old 02-22-2011, 08:37 AM

Rip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond repute

Regarding 2-D

You need to "worry" about your knots. The better you tie them, the faster you can tie them, the better off you'll be.
Practice makes perfect and the best way to learn all your fishing knots is to sit down with a book (or print-outs), a spool of mono, and some nippers and do it.
Leave everything out in a convenient location so that you can practice anytime you have idle hands, such as when you're in front of the boobtube. You'll be glad you did.

I tie all my own leaders and to say that it was fun.... that would be a stretch.
Convenient, educational, economical... sure. But tedious would be a better word than 'fun'.
Old 02-22-2011, 11:17 AM

ssmith will become famous soon enough

I suppose any leader that you decide to use will catch fish, after that it seems to be more of a personal preference. I know a lot of people on here like to tie their own and swear by that, while others feel that procuring machine tapered leaders is the way to go as the taper is closer to perfect and there are no/less knots to worry about when playing a fish. Personally I just use Rio tapered 5x 9ft leaders and add 5x or 6x fluorocarbon tippet and I get good results.

If you tie your own furled or regular leaders you get the satisfaction of having tied your own leader. On top of that you get the exact length and taper that YOU want. I have done it in a pinch by piecing it together on the water when a mishap like leaving my bag with my leaders and nice set of pliers at home because I was a fool. It worked well for me that day but I wouldn't want to make my own all the time because I'm lazy and a bottle of whiskey with a book just seems better then playing with mono.

Just remember in Fly Fishing there is NO RIGHT WAY to do anything and it is all personal preference. If you catch fish by tying a piece of mono to a cane pole with a fly on the end you are fly fishing. Go with what you can comfortably afford and enjoy doing personally.

'If our father had had his say, nobody who did not know how to catch a fish would be allowed to disgrace a fish by catching him.'
Old 02-23-2011, 07:34 AM

ant is a splendid one to beholdant is a splendid one to beholdant is a splendid one to beholdant is a splendid one to beholdant is a splendid one to beholdant is a splendid one to beholdant is a splendid one to behold

I started tying my own, but I'm still in the "trial and error" period.

But if your interested in trying a furled leader before investing all the money and time into making your own rig, you could contact Joni on here. I think that she sells them.
FlyFishinado - My Fly Fishing Blog