The North American Fly Fishing Forum
Go Back   The North American Fly Fishing Forum > General Fly Fishing Discussion > General Discussion

General Discussion General discussions regarding fly fishing as a whole. Ask questions. Get answers...

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 02-22-2011, 05:37 AM

leon o is on a distinguished road
Default 1st $100 on Flies, Leaders & Accessories (panfish)

To maintain some degree of discipline, I'd like to prioritize a list of the items that I will need for panfishing. I'd be happy catching small LMB or might try a tiny brook for trout, but I'll probably be going for bluegills at local ponds. I'll be using a 9' 5wt rod with WFF line (for now).

How do I spend the first $100 for items such as:
- flies
- leaders
- tippets
- fly box
- zinger
- clippers
- floatant
- line treatment
- other?

Your help with priorities may help with the discipline that will prevent me from buying a lot of discounted junk that I will never use or that will not work for my needs.

Being shrewd (the Yankee way of saying cheap ), I'd love tips on specific items that are top values after shipping etc. I did some searching, but if I missed any similar threads, please point them to me.

I do have some gift cards to Cabelas & LL Bean that will help get me started.

Thanks
Old 02-22-2011, 09:19 AM

raindogt has much to be proud ofraindogt has much to be proud ofraindogt has much to be proud ofraindogt has much to be proud ofraindogt has much to be proud ofraindogt has much to be proud ofraindogt has much to be proud ofraindogt has much to be proud of
Default Re: 1st $100 on Flies, Leaders & Accessories (panfish)

IIRC, you already fish-- so you likely already have nippers and the like laying around. Of the items you mentioned above, I'd prioritize:
Leader, tippet (although I just use 2, 4, and 6 # mono... Cheaper than actual tippet material), and of course flies. The other stuff is un-necessary IMO.

Spend $6.00 on a furled leader from Joni (board member, here) for a few reasons-- 1: it sounds like fly fishing is going to be a once in a while outing for you-- a furled will hold less memory than a single strand tapered leader. 2: you will never neeed another leader. To this, you can attach 2 feet (or more or less) of the various mono/ flouro you have laying around. this takes care of the 'tippet' requirement.

This leaves you with 94.00 for flies and a box. Go to a local fly shop and see what they'd recommend for your area. Spend half there, and look for deals on eBay for the other half.

It won't be the most elegant solution, but again: you already are a fisherman-- you can certainly find room in one of your existing boxes for a dozen flies. just use that for now. Also, if you are only going out fly fishing once a week for an hour or so-- you really won't need many flies at all-- short of snags and losing flies that way-- one fly (that is well tied) will last you 100 sunnies..... A plastic baggie will be a fine fly box for this application.

You really shouldn't need floatant for still water sunnies... Line treatment is a gimmick (IMO-- Go ahead flame away.... ), I just clean mine with gentle detergent and warm water at the end of every season.

Just trying to help you get on the water without investing too much.
Old 02-22-2011, 11:28 AM

lancer09 is a glorious beacon of lightlancer09 is a glorious beacon of lightlancer09 is a glorious beacon of lightlancer09 is a glorious beacon of lightlancer09 is a glorious beacon of light

Raindogt hit the nail on the head. If you must buy line Wal-mart has cheap mono that I use for panfish for sale for liek 2 dolllars for a large spool, most i would spend on flies and other stuff. Half the timie I just bite my line but finger nail clippers would be helpful. Go to your local Ace and pick up some needle nose pliers and that should cover anything and everything you would need for fishing.
Old 02-22-2011, 11:45 AM

Tracker12 will become famous soon enoughTracker12 will become famous soon enough

I fish for pan fish a bunch. You need very little. For leader I use straight 8# test about 6' tie on either a betts popper or a foam hopper, next 18-24" leader and on the end I fish 96% of the time a Bully Bluegill Fly in olive, black, or yellow. I have found that if I canl't catch them with that set up they just ain't biting. If you want to fish deep you can throw in a weighted wolly bugger. Good luck.
Old 02-22-2011, 12:20 PM

Rip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by lancer09 View Post
Half the timie I just bite my line but ........
One look at the groove in my front tooth would clue you why you shouldn't do that
Old 02-22-2011, 12:27 PM

raindogt has much to be proud ofraindogt has much to be proud ofraindogt has much to be proud ofraindogt has much to be proud ofraindogt has much to be proud ofraindogt has much to be proud ofraindogt has much to be proud ofraindogt has much to be proud of

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rip Tide View Post
One look at the groove in my front tooth would clue you why you shouldn't do that
C'mon Rip,

You've been fishing long enough to know that you use several teeth, not just the same one all the time.... Rookie mistake.

As for nippers, take the one's from your wife's beauty cabinet. Next time she is at the store call her and tell her that you are trying to cut your toe-nails but can't find the nippers.... She'll buy a new pair while at the store, you have your fishing nippers, and the new one's came out of her budget, not your $100.00 gear allowance.... win.
Old 02-22-2011, 01:25 PM

ssmith will become famous soon enough

If your going to be getting heavily into it...

As far as flies, tracker hit it. bluegil will hit just about anything you through in the water. I get 95% of them on olive or black woolies in a 10 or 12, the rest on poppers that I'm trying for bass with(often irritating me as I usually think that they are too big for bluegill when one bites). Nippers, go to jewel, walldrug, walgreens, cvs, or walmart and get some cheap nail clippers. they do the same thing and are usually less then a dollar. All that should be close to $25-30 after a few buggers/poppers and $1 for the nippers. A clear plastic jig box should do the trick for something small, light weight and cheap. I bought one for my poppers for $3 because they didn't fit in my fly box very well. A couple 5x leaders and some basic tippet will work since they are just panfish and not real line shy or going to run on you. $15 in $3 leaders and $10 in tippet will last you quite a long time and that leaves you with $40 ish to put into something else you want because fisherman are all gearheads and want things we don't need.

'If our father had had his say, nobody who did not know how to catch a fish would be allowed to disgrace a fish by catching him.'
Old 02-22-2011, 03:10 PM

leon o is on a distinguished road

I think raindogt got me figured out in the first post. Everyone else continued with the great thoughts.

I definately need to look into "furled" leaders. I haven't dug into the types of leaders yet. What's the proper way to get ahold of Joni?

I've have a spool of 4 lb Trilene XL that's gathering dust. Out of curiousity I'll have to check the diameter relative to Tippet sizes. Gamma is my line of choice for bass fishing, so I had been leaning towards Frog Hair for tippet material. But why buy it if XL will do fine.

I might buy another set of clippers because mine are rusty. It just bugs me. Plus, I thought the $16 ones with the magnifier built in were pretty cool. You guys are already saving me a bunch.

Woolies have been looking interesting to me, they seem like something a bass would go after. I'm glad you mentionned the 10-12 size, because I'm not confident about sizes yet. I thought I'd seen 8-12 hooks for panfish, so I guess I was on the right track. It's good to know that I won't need to accurately imitate every insect in every stage that might be at the pond. I've always wanted to use hoppers and poppers. Hopefully a 5 wt will accomodate some smaller ones.

I'm definately an eBay addict, but I'm hoping that I can send some business to our sponsor Allen fishing. Maybe some flies, a box, that magnetic thingy...

Thanks!
Old 02-23-2011, 07:44 AM

ant is a splendid one to beholdant is a splendid one to beholdant is a splendid one to beholdant is a splendid one to beholdant is a splendid one to beholdant is a splendid one to beholdant is a splendid one to behold

I would suggest getting a hemostat instead of the needle nose, that way when that itty bitty bluegill inhales your fly, you have a fighting chance of getting it out.

For flies, I'd get some fur ants, some woolly buggers, some elk hair caddis, and then some small poppers. I wouldn't go smaller than a 12 or 14, to try to keep the afore mentioned itty bitty gill from inhaling too many flies.
FlyFishinado - My Fly Fishing Blog
Old 02-23-2011, 09:29 AM

pdx fly is on a distinguished road

Not to plug this guys site or anything but I just did the same thing....building my 2011 set up for the up coming trout season...
Great fly purchasing resource...
StreamFlies.com / 541-218-1994

I am in no way related w/ him....just have bought from him a couple times....
smooth transactions.

20$ on flies....80 left over for other stuff.

good luck.