The North American Fly Fishing Forum

Go Back   The North American Fly Fishing Forum > General Fly Fishing Discussion > General Discussion

General Discussion General discussions regarding fly fishing as a whole. Ask questions. Get answers...

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 07-21-2009, 10:20 PM

ksigtuck will become famous soon enoughksigtuck will become famous soon enough
Default Best way to dry and store waders

I am curious as to the best way to dry and store waders. I have heard hanging them upside down which I have been doing by using clothes pins to pinch the stocking foot and letting them hang this way. Is this good or is there a better way?
Tuck
Old 07-21-2009, 10:40 PM
Super Moderator

BigCliff has a brilliant futureBigCliff has a brilliant futureBigCliff has a brilliant futureBigCliff has a brilliant futureBigCliff has a brilliant futureBigCliff has a brilliant futureBigCliff has a brilliant futureBigCliff has a brilliant futureBigCliff has a brilliant futureBigCliff has a brilliant futureBigCliff has a brilliant future
Default Re: Best way to dry and store waders

I hang mine with the suspenders over a hanger and stick the hanger on one of the garage door tracks in the garage. Before I had a garage they went in the extra shower at the apartment, hung the same way.

I'd rather hunt fish than bait deer any day.
Old 07-22-2009, 05:55 AM

glassroddr has a spectacular aura aboutglassroddr has a spectacular aura about

I also just hang them with the suspenders in my tying room. I don't think you need to hang breathable waders upside down. I remember in the old rubber and canvas wader days you had to hang them that way to drain water and sweat and keep them from rotting.

Marc
Old 07-22-2009, 08:08 AM

Sep is a glorious beacon of lightSep is a glorious beacon of lightSep is a glorious beacon of lightSep is a glorious beacon of lightSep is a glorious beacon of lightSep is a glorious beacon of light

Ditto on hanging them by the suspenders on a clothes hanger. I put the hanger over a light fixture on the back deck until the waders are dry and then into the coat closet they go.

Sep
Old 07-22-2009, 10:34 AM
Administrator

Frank Whiton has a reputation beyond reputeFrank Whiton has a reputation beyond reputeFrank Whiton has a reputation beyond reputeFrank Whiton has a reputation beyond reputeFrank Whiton has a reputation beyond reputeFrank Whiton has a reputation beyond reputeFrank Whiton has a reputation beyond reputeFrank Whiton has a reputation beyond reputeFrank Whiton has a reputation beyond reputeFrank Whiton has a reputation beyond reputeFrank Whiton has a reputation beyond repute
Send a message via Skype™ to Frank Whiton

Hi to all,

I don't think it makes much difference how you do it when you are home. In Alaska we always fished for several days in a row and that meant putting them back on in the morning. Considering that you could fish all night if you wanted to, the waders could get damp inside. So I would turn them inside out so the inside would be dry for sure. I got into this habit with neoprenes and just carried it on with the breathable waders. I hated to get up in the morning and pull on a cold, wet pair of hippers or waders the next morning.

Frank
Old 07-22-2009, 10:55 AM

Rip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond repute

Like Frank the pre-breathable days taught me to worry about the inside first, the exterior will (hopefully) be wet again soon anyways

....as to storage
Waders should be rolled, not folded, and stored in the box that they came in, if possible.
And this used to be true with the old the old canvas/rubber and pvc waders ....never hang them near your furnace. The ozone will kill them
Probably still good advice
Old 07-22-2009, 01:48 PM

FISHN50 is a splendid one to beholdFISHN50 is a splendid one to beholdFISHN50 is a splendid one to beholdFISHN50 is a splendid one to beholdFISHN50 is a splendid one to beholdFISHN50 is a splendid one to beholdFISHN50 is a splendid one to behold

For my breathable stocking foot's I took a wire coat hanger & bent the ends so I can hang the waders from the lace hook on the gaiter. this insures that they will dry out . In the past I made the mistake of rolling up a pair of waders while they were still damp on the inside & I left them in the car for a few weeks. Big mistake. They ended up with a mold in the inside. I had to turn them inside out & wash them a few times to get rid of it. After that I make sure they are dry before I roll them up. On the boot foot waders they sell a wire thingy that is like a "S" with a hook off the middle that you put the boot heels into the "S" & hang them up. It allows air to get inside the boot to dry it.
How often do you guys wash your breathable waders?
Old 07-22-2009, 02:16 PM

Rip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
How often do you guys wash your breathable waders?
When they're no longer functioning as 'breathable'...it become obvious
Old 07-22-2009, 04:07 PM

ksigtuck will become famous soon enoughksigtuck will become famous soon enough

Thanks guys, I will go back to hanging them right side up. I have been hanging them upside down but the only way to accomplish this was to use a clothespen, etc. and pinch the heels of the wader. I really did not like the way the heel was starting to look from this. It seemed to be thinning out that spot and I was afraid they would begin leaking from this.
Thanks for the advice,
Tuck