The North American Fly Fishing Forum

Go Back   The North American Fly Fishing Forum > General Fly Fishing Discussion > General Discussion

General Discussion General discussions regarding fly fishing as a whole. Ask questions. Get answers...

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 07-23-2009, 06:49 AM

ducktrooper is on a distinguished road
Default Sage Launch vs. Orvis Clearwater II?

I've been wanting to get a 4 wt. rod for some time now for nymphing mostly and use on low water and smaller rivers. Pretty much narrowed my research down the the Launch and Clearwater II based on researching threads.

My question is has anyone actually compared the 2 rods as they are comparable in price, reputation, and warranty? I don't have any dealers around me that stock either one for me to evaluate. I'd be interested in the comparisons...thanks.
Old 07-23-2009, 09:17 AM

wingshooter is on a distinguished road
Default Re: Sage Launch vs. Orvis Clearwater II?

I have handeled the Launch and the Clearwater 1 before. thrown them a little but never to an extent to buy because I like a very fast rod which these are not. I have been extremely disappointed in orvis for quite sometime. From their clothes to reels to rods. The only rod worth anything is the Helios, everything else in my opinion is just weak stuff made in korea or china...cant remember. Orivs customer service is good but never needed their warranty becuase I havent broken anything. Now, the Sage. Do I really need to say anymore than that. Well, with american made rods, customer service that is second to none and great all around rods at both ends of the price points... I am sorry but I just dont see comparing Sage to Orvis(clearwater) as an equal comparison.

I do appologise to any hard core orvis people I have offended, but I will say the Helios ROCKS.

PS. I liked the Sage Fli before they discontined it, my finacee fishes it and its a little faster than Launch and you can get great closeout deals on them.
Old 07-24-2009, 11:25 PM

ksigtuck will become famous soon enoughksigtuck will become famous soon enough

I can't compare the two but I do own an older Orvis Clearwater 5 wt. that I fish with regularly and it is a great rod. I have not fished with one of their newer rods so I am not sure of the quality of them but I have not had any disappointment with my older one. I would recommend going to a shop that sells them and casting both and just go with what feels the best to you.
Tuck
Old 07-25-2009, 08:58 AM

BlueDun has a spectacular aura aboutBlueDun has a spectacular aura about

Both the Launch and the Clearwater II are good rods. I was not a big Orvis fan until the Helios came out. Purchased one, which is now one of my favorite rods. When I decided to purchase an outfit for my nephew, I ended up getting a Clearwater II for him b/c it reminded me of my Helios. What is most important; however, is for you to try them so you can see which one works the best for you.
Old 07-25-2009, 10:19 AM

MoscaPescador has a reputation beyond reputeMoscaPescador has a reputation beyond reputeMoscaPescador has a reputation beyond reputeMoscaPescador has a reputation beyond reputeMoscaPescador has a reputation beyond reputeMoscaPescador has a reputation beyond reputeMoscaPescador has a reputation beyond reputeMoscaPescador has a reputation beyond reputeMoscaPescador has a reputation beyond reputeMoscaPescador has a reputation beyond reputeMoscaPescador has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by ducktrooper View Post
I've been wanting to get a 4 wt. rod for some time now for nymphing mostly and use on low water and smaller rivers. Pretty much narrowed my research down the the Launch and Clearwater II based on researching threads.

My question is has anyone actually compared the 2 rods as they are comparable in price, reputation, and warranty? I don't have any dealers around me that stock either one for me to evaluate. I'd be interested in the comparisons...thanks.
Are you wanting a 9' rod for nymphing? If I recall correctly, Orvis doesn't make a 9 foot 4 piece 4 weight in the Clearwater II (at least according to its website - unless it has been discontinued). It makes an 8'6" 4 piece 4 weight. Those extra 6 inches can make the difference in line control. Sage makes its 4 piece Launch 4 weight in the 9' length but not in the 8'6" length.

I'd go for the longer rod.

MP
Old 07-25-2009, 01:03 PM

FrankB2 has a reputation beyond reputeFrankB2 has a reputation beyond reputeFrankB2 has a reputation beyond reputeFrankB2 has a reputation beyond reputeFrankB2 has a reputation beyond reputeFrankB2 has a reputation beyond reputeFrankB2 has a reputation beyond reputeFrankB2 has a reputation beyond reputeFrankB2 has a reputation beyond reputeFrankB2 has a reputation beyond reputeFrankB2 has a reputation beyond repute

I've never heard anything but praise for the Sage Launch, and it should come
down to buy Made in USA or Made in China. I'd go with the Sage .
Old 10-20-2009, 11:43 AM

Cool Hand Hodge has a spectacular aura aboutCool Hand Hodge has a spectacular aura aboutCool Hand Hodge has a spectacular aura about

I had the same question myself. Ended up casting them and ended up with a St. Croix avid! Give it a try, cant imagine you would decide differently. Between the two youre looking at, i like the launch much more.
Old 10-20-2009, 04:20 PM

Walter1023 is just really niceWalter1023 is just really niceWalter1023 is just really niceWalter1023 is just really nice

I have Sage's Launch 8 ft 4 weight....it is a great rod for the $ and I bought it full retail...around $220 at the time. I can't recall seeing any bad reviews on it - and frankly - if you can't cast a Launch smoothly its not the rod - its the caster. I have alot of 7 1/2 to 8 foot 4 weights....I'm considering the 9 foot 4 weight for dry fly fishing bigger rivers. I think its appropriate to refer to the launch as medium/fast....FLI and XP - the other 2 Sages I own - are much faster. These current discount prices are a solid value.
Old 10-22-2009, 09:57 PM

Cool Hand Hodge has a spectacular aura aboutCool Hand Hodge has a spectacular aura aboutCool Hand Hodge has a spectacular aura about

FWIW the launch has been discontinued.
Old 10-22-2009, 10:24 PM
Joni has a reputation beyond reputeJoni has a reputation beyond reputeJoni has a reputation beyond reputeJoni has a reputation beyond reputeJoni has a reputation beyond reputeJoni has a reputation beyond reputeJoni has a reputation beyond reputeJoni has a reputation beyond reputeJoni has a reputation beyond reputeJoni has a reputation beyond reputeJoni has a reputation beyond repute

Last I heard the Clearwater is American made. I have found nothing that says any different. I did find this:

(quote)Utilizing all the capabilities of our state-of-the-art production facility, Clearwater® II Fly Rods are built around the most popular rod actions we’ve ever made. Every fly rod has a smooth, crisp, action to improve your casting no matter your level. These rods are classic, proven winners rebuilt using cutting-edge materials, machinery, and fly rod building techniques. And they come with the same 25-year guarantee as our premium fly rods. Plus, each Clearwater II comes in a rugged PVC case to protect your investment.

The Frequent Flyer Traveler is the only Orvis rod made over seas.

The advantage I see with the CLEARWATER is an 8' 6" where sage is 8' or 9', and the Sage is heavier.
The Clearwater in the 4 piece is 3 oz. The Sage at 6" longer and also 4 piece is 4 1/16 oz.

ME personally, would go for the Clearwater. I like the feel better, but everyone is different.