The North American Fly Fishing Forum

Go Back   The North American Fly Fishing Forum > General Fly Fishing Discussion > General Discussion

General Discussion General discussions regarding fly fishing as a whole. Ask questions. Get answers...

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 07-24-2009, 12:26 PM

2Rymans is on a distinguished road
Default Cheap Travel

My wife and I are rookies but have fallen in love with fly fishing. We have never fished out of state (michigan) yet and we have lot's of frequent flier miles we need to use over the next two years. So, airfare is basically free, now we need to find very inexpensive places to stay that have good fly fishing near by.

Any suggestions? B&B's on a river?

Thanks
Jim
Old 07-24-2009, 12:40 PM
Administrator

Frank Whiton has a reputation beyond reputeFrank Whiton has a reputation beyond reputeFrank Whiton has a reputation beyond reputeFrank Whiton has a reputation beyond reputeFrank Whiton has a reputation beyond reputeFrank Whiton has a reputation beyond reputeFrank Whiton has a reputation beyond reputeFrank Whiton has a reputation beyond reputeFrank Whiton has a reputation beyond reputeFrank Whiton has a reputation beyond reputeFrank Whiton has a reputation beyond repute
Send a message via Skype™ to Frank Whiton
Default Re: Cheap Travel

Hi Jim,

I think you might have better luck if you pick out some type of fishing you would like to do. Then ask about where to go. Your request is so broad it is hard to answer.

Being in Michigan you are close to some good fishing in Canada. You and you wife would enjoy a trip to Alaska even if you didn't fish. But, those are things I would like to do. You may have no interest at all.

Frank
Old 07-24-2009, 01:26 PM

Frank, your absolutely right I should have been more specific. We are trout anglers but so new to this that we don't necessarily want to pigeon hole ourselves into just that. My intention was to try and find places to stay around some of the best rivers in the country (or outside) where we could fly in, rent a car, and stay at some nice yet inexpensive place on or near the river and be our own guide. We went to Alaska, that's where we first decided to get into FF. We were visiting a nephew who was interning at the local Inuit Hospital in Anchorage. Anchorage in not a cheap place to stay.

Thanks
Jim
Old 07-24-2009, 03:31 PM
Administrator

Frank Whiton has a reputation beyond reputeFrank Whiton has a reputation beyond reputeFrank Whiton has a reputation beyond reputeFrank Whiton has a reputation beyond reputeFrank Whiton has a reputation beyond reputeFrank Whiton has a reputation beyond reputeFrank Whiton has a reputation beyond reputeFrank Whiton has a reputation beyond reputeFrank Whiton has a reputation beyond reputeFrank Whiton has a reputation beyond reputeFrank Whiton has a reputation beyond repute
Send a message via Skype™ to Frank Whiton

Hi Jim,

It sounds to me that you might enjoy a trip to Wyoming, Montana or Idaho. There is a lot of fishing in those locations and the cost is not outrageous. We have several members that can help you figure out when to go.

I think that staying by a river with very inexpensive room and board does not go hand in hand these days. Most of the places I go and stay in a motel is in the $100/night range for a decent hotel.

Frank
Old 07-24-2009, 03:40 PM
Administrator

mcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond repute

Jim: another approach might be to pick out a river or area and just do a google search for motels or B&B's. The Frying Pan River and the Roaring Fork River near Basalt, CO offer some really nice fishing. Here is a link to a cabin on the Frying Pan. Taylor Creek Cabins
It is not cheap ($170/night) but it is located right on the river. Personally, I would probably opt to stay in one of the local motels in Basalt or Carbondale. Here is something a little cheaper: THE GREEN DRAKE
If your interested in Alaska, here is a place in Kenai that isn't real expensive:
Kenai RV Park~Diamond M Ranch~B&B, Cabins, Lodging, Kenai River Alaska

Larry
Old 07-24-2009, 10:24 PM
Administrator

mcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond repute

Here is another option that has pretty inexpensive lodging right on the NOrth Platte River near Casper, WY and they also offer boat rentals.
Red Butte Ranch Casper, Wyoming Platte River

Larry
Old 07-24-2009, 10:34 PM
Administrator

Here is another option for cabins near the Conejos River, CO.
Conejos River Anglers - Fly Fishing Colorado

Larry
Old 07-25-2009, 01:00 AM

coltonwynn is on a distinguished road

In montana you have the bitterroot valley and the beaver head valley That all includes bitterroot, blackfoot, clarkfork. rock creek, beaver head, ruby bighole, madison the MO the list goes on and on and on and you get the point also why not camp?? fly into missoula or bozeman rent a car and stay at a hotel every few days for a shower and a nice bed?? If your wanting to come this year I would come very soon cause the sun is really starting to put a damper on things very fast rock creek was at 63 degrees yesterday! another option if your not a hunter is the october caddis hatch on rock creek and many of the rivers around here is just un real good luck to ya and if you guys are ever in my neck of the woods give me a shout would love to introduce you to this awesome area I call home
Old 07-27-2009, 08:12 AM

Thanks guys!

Mcnerney, thanks for the info! I have emailed the place on the Platt and the Conejos for more info. They both sound nice and inexpensive.

Coltonwynn, Thanks also! Camping, maybe in the future. Were looking for cheap hotel rooms or cabins(w/shower) or B&B. I like the area and we should be able to find something on the web that fits whay were looking for. If we do come out, we will look you up.

Jim
Old 07-27-2009, 08:55 AM

icesky is on a distinguished road

Hi everybody!
2Rymans, I would like to give you some tips about Montana accommodations and about local peculiarity Montana Fly Fishing. Following by this link Fly Fishing in Montana you can find all that you need to know: where, when and how to go fishing in Montana area.