The North American Fly Fishing Forum
Go Back   The North American Fly Fishing Forum > General Fly Fishing Discussion > General Discussion

General Discussion General discussions regarding fly fishing as a whole. Ask questions. Get answers...

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 02-23-2011, 06:06 PM

rjw is on a distinguished road
Default New to this hole fly fishing thing

So I have officially decided to take up fly fishing and need a little advice. I have some fishing background but zero fly fishing knowledge but I have decided to take a 7 week fly fishing course at college and now need to decide where to go with my money. I will be fishing trout mostly in rivers here in Utah (provo, weber, some higher elevation streams) and am wondering what fly rod/reel/line would be the best option for me. Since I am a beginner I am obviously not looking for a $700 dollar rod, but I would like to get a good rod that will fit my needs for quite some time, as both my father and I are picking fly fishing up as something to do together. Right now I was looking at an 8'6" St Croix Avid, would this be a good option or do you guys have a better idea? I also have no idea where to start with what reel/line to go with so any advice here would be appreciated!
Old 02-23-2011, 06:31 PM

mojo has a brilliant futuremojo has a brilliant futuremojo has a brilliant futuremojo has a brilliant futuremojo has a brilliant futuremojo has a brilliant futuremojo has a brilliant futuremojo has a brilliant futuremojo has a brilliant futuremojo has a brilliant futuremojo has a brilliant future
Default Re: New to this hole fly fishing thing

Where do you live? If the Provo area, go to Eddie Robinson's and talk to them. If the SLC area, Fish Tech or Western Rivers. The Uinta's (upper Provo) I use a 3 & 4w. Middle P- 4w, lower P 4w or 5w. Weber- 4w & 5w.
The lakes and reservoirs- Utah and Idaho, 5w & 6w. Uinta lakes, 3 or 4w.
Carp and tiger muskie, 8w.
Green River- 5 w or 6w.
Get a good flyline, an Allen reel from Justin here on NAFF, and go to these shops I mentioned and cast the rods.
Old 02-23-2011, 06:37 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mojo View Post
Where do you live? If the Provo area, go to Eddie Robinson's and talk to them. If the SLC area, Fish Tech or Western Rivers. The Uinta's (upper Provo) I use a 3 & 4w. Middle P- 4w, lower P 4w or 5w. Weber- 4w & 5w.
The lakes and reservoirs- Utah and Idaho, 5w & 6w. Uinta lakes, 3 or 4w.
Carp and tiger muskie, 8w.
Green River- 5 w or 6w.
Get a good flyline, an Allen reel from Justin here on NAFF, and go to these shops I mentioned and cast the rods.
I live in Salt Lake so I will check out Fish Tech/Western Rivers. I was leaning towards a 4w before and now it looks like that is the right decision. Thanks for all of the help! Any more advice would be appreciated!
Old 02-23-2011, 06:40 PM

mojo has a brilliant futuremojo has a brilliant futuremojo has a brilliant futuremojo has a brilliant futuremojo has a brilliant futuremojo has a brilliant futuremojo has a brilliant futuremojo has a brilliant futuremojo has a brilliant futuremojo has a brilliant futuremojo has a brilliant future

Quote:
Originally Posted by rjw View Post
I live in Salt Lake so I will check out Fish Tech/Western Rivers. I was leaning towards a 4w before and now it looks like that is the right decision. Thanks for all of the help! Any more advice would be appreciated!
BTW, if you're not doing anything tonight, our TU chapter is having a fly tying demonstration at Fish Tech at 7pm. Come on down if you can.

Alan
Old 02-23-2011, 06:47 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mojo View Post
BTW, if you're not doing anything tonight, our TU chapter is having a fly tying demonstration at Fish Tech at 7pm. Come on down if you can.

Alan
Unfortunately I have class, however if you guys have anything else coming up definitely keep me updated!
Old 02-23-2011, 06:57 PM

Vans has much to be proud ofVans has much to be proud ofVans has much to be proud ofVans has much to be proud ofVans has much to be proud ofVans has much to be proud ofVans has much to be proud ofVans has much to be proud of

Welcome to the forum rjw.

I like to recommend Redington rods as a starter rod some someone just getting into fly fishing. It really is a very good rod for the price point. When i started i bought a 6wt Red.fly2 combo at Dick's sporting goods on sale for $90. You get a great rod with a reel and line for that price. After you are more experienced you can move on to a higher quality brand like Sage, G Loomis, etc. Sage owns Redington btw so a lot of their quality goes into the product. Redington also makes a lot of good accessories like waders, wading jackets, etc.
Old 02-23-2011, 07:02 PM

littledavid123 has a reputation beyond reputelittledavid123 has a reputation beyond reputelittledavid123 has a reputation beyond reputelittledavid123 has a reputation beyond reputelittledavid123 has a reputation beyond reputelittledavid123 has a reputation beyond reputelittledavid123 has a reputation beyond reputelittledavid123 has a reputation beyond reputelittledavid123 has a reputation beyond reputelittledavid123 has a reputation beyond reputelittledavid123 has a reputation beyond repute

RJW welcome to the forum

As you have already witnessed by Mojo's replies there are many good people on this site willing to share their vast experience. I too am new to fly fishing and would have spent hundreds on books to acquire the info offered here in the search option.

Dave
Old 02-23-2011, 07:05 PM

ssmith will become famous soon enough

Welcome, you have picked up what I consider one of the most rewarding sports. You have also opened up a huge can of worms on this site. St Croix builds a good rod from what I read, personally I like my Redington 8'6 5wt Classic Trout as it fishes well and was very cost effective. TFO also makes solid rods for the money, but if you go with a TFO invest in a tube for your rod as they do not feel the need to provide one as other companies do. Almost any 5wt rod should be what your looking for for trout.

As far as lines go, people have a vast array of opinions but, for my .02, you can not go wrong with scientific anglers or rio. Both produce top quality lines that will last a few seasons.

Waders are also very important, breathable is what your going to want. Spend good money for quality waders as you will be whering them most of the day. Nothing short of snapping your rod is worse then have leaky/flooding waders, it will ruin anyones day. I have some LL Bean waders that do me well.

For regular 10"-15" trout you don't need a reel with drag to stop a horse, but some would be nice if you don't want to palm your reel every time you hook up. My best friends day let me borrow his Pfluger Medalist and it was fine for a day fishing WI trout. I like my orvis large arbor mostly because I got it on sale but Redington, Orvis, G Loomis, and even Bass Pro make decent reels that work great for trout.

For flies the best thing that you can do is talk to local fly shops and fly fisherman to see what works best for the streams you fish.

Your class should teach you a lot, but I encourage you to ask any questions that you can think of as there are lots of people that will answer, especially here.

other then that it is a pleasure to have met you

'If our father had had his say, nobody who did not know how to catch a fish would be allowed to disgrace a fish by catching him.'
Old 02-23-2011, 07:40 PM

WOW! can't believe how fast and how good of answers I have already received! Thanks to everyone. The only reason I was looking into more expensive rods to begin compared to some of the cheaper rods is because I HATE buying cheaper sporting goods only to find two months down the road that I am wanting to upgrade already, however if this is not usually the case with fly fishing, I will certainly be looking at some of the less expensive options. Keep the opinions coming and I will be sure to check out my local fly shop for some advice
Old 02-23-2011, 08:13 PM

coldbrook is on a distinguished road

welcome to the wonderful world of flyfishing If you discover you in fact love it, then I urge you to tie your own flies as well; a complimentary activity that makes FF even more enjoyable...nothing like catching your first trout on a fly of your own creation.

Tight lines!