The North American Fly Fishing Forum
Go Back   The North American Fly Fishing Forum > General Fly Fishing Discussion > General Discussion

General Discussion General discussions regarding fly fishing as a whole. Ask questions. Get answers...

Like Tree5Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 02-24-2011, 10:39 AM

leterfly is on a distinguished road
Default Best fishing town in america?

So I stumbled upon this awesome sounding contest where a winning town gets 25,000 bucks to develop fishing in the area if it gets enough votes, and a whole bunch of awareness about it. It's over on the world fishing network site. There's one for Canada too.

Be interesting to see who wins this one, coming from a small town I'll admit I hope it's not a big city that gets it. What is the most ultimate fishing town do you think???
Old 02-24-2011, 11:12 AM

o mykiss is a jewel in the rougho mykiss is a jewel in the rougho mykiss is a jewel in the rougho mykiss is a jewel in the rough
Default Re: Best fishing town in america?

cool.....

i would have to say: MISSOULA, MONTANA....
Old 02-24-2011, 12:46 PM
Administrator

mcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by o mykiss View Post
cool.....

What about Dillon, twin Bridges or Ennis, MT

Larry

Larry
Old 02-24-2011, 12:48 PM

oregonism is a jewel in the roughoregonism is a jewel in the roughoregonism is a jewel in the rough

Bend, OR. Tons of rivers in the area, plus stillwater and steelhead action in some of the rivers.
Old 02-24-2011, 01:12 PM

tbone616 is on a distinguished road

They had this in Canada last year and Port Alberni B.C. won Best fishing town title a booster . I assumed they had it in the states as well but i guess not, glad to hear you guys can get in on it now too.
Old 02-24-2011, 02:49 PM

dean_mt has a brilliant futuredean_mt has a brilliant futuredean_mt has a brilliant futuredean_mt has a brilliant futuredean_mt has a brilliant futuredean_mt has a brilliant futuredean_mt has a brilliant futuredean_mt has a brilliant futuredean_mt has a brilliant futuredean_mt has a brilliant futuredean_mt has a brilliant future

Quote:
Originally Posted by o mykiss View Post
cool.....

NO. Missoula is awful. Terrible place, you don't want to stop here on your way to Spokane or Seattle or where ever you are going!

I love living in Missoula, most of the time. It is currently 6 degrees with winds gusting 25 MPH.

Seriously, the LAST thing that any local of Missoula (and probably Dillon, Twin Bridges, etc) would want is to be named the "best of" anything that will draw more tourists to flog the local fisheries. There was a movie a dozen years that did a pretty job of it then. Maybe a place like Jackson, WY or Ennis or Pinedale or West Yellowstone that is already defined as a fishing town and tourist trap wouldn't mind. (OK, Ennis and Pinedale aren't tourist traps.)

---------- Post added at 01:49 PM ---------- Previous post was at 01:47 PM ----------

Quote:
Originally Posted by mcnerney View Post
What about Dillon, twin Bridges or Ennis, MT

Larry
Those are a few of my favorite things, Larry. But actually for the country, there ain't much to Twin or Ennis.
Old 02-24-2011, 02:50 PM

mikel has much to be proud ofmikel has much to be proud ofmikel has much to be proud ofmikel has much to be proud ofmikel has much to be proud ofmikel has much to be proud ofmikel has much to be proud ofmikel has much to be proud ofmikel has much to be proud ofmikel has much to be proud of

There are too many choices...those mentioned are all winners. In California there are (IMO) 2 contenders.

(1) Bishop (Sierra high country, Owens river, E Walker, Crowley Lake, countless creeks, etc, etc)

(2) Redding (upper/lower Sac, Baum Lake, Hat Cr, McCloud R, Pitt R, Trinity/Klamath steelhead, etc, etc)

Reno/Gardnerville is pretty good too...

My pick overall would be Missoula, since you can get to so much premium water in so many directions for day trips.
Old 02-24-2011, 03:01 PM

dean_mt has a brilliant futuredean_mt has a brilliant futuredean_mt has a brilliant futuredean_mt has a brilliant futuredean_mt has a brilliant futuredean_mt has a brilliant futuredean_mt has a brilliant futuredean_mt has a brilliant futuredean_mt has a brilliant futuredean_mt has a brilliant futuredean_mt has a brilliant future

Quote:
Originally Posted by mikel View Post
There are too many choices...those mentioned are all winners. In California there are (IMO) 2 contenders.

(1) Bishop (Sierra high country, Owens river, E Walker, Crowley Lake, countless creeks, etc, etc)

(2) Redding (upper/lower Sac, Baum Lake, Hat Cr, McCloud R, Pitt R, Trinity/Klamath steelhead, etc, etc)

My pick overall would be Missoula, since you can get to so much premium water in so many directions for day trips.
BOZEMAN. Go to Bozeman, it is WAY better - Yellowstone, Gallatin, Jeff, Madison, Paradise Valley -- plus it's fun little cow/coed kinda town!
Old 02-24-2011, 03:07 PM

HuronRiverDan has a brilliant futureHuronRiverDan has a brilliant futureHuronRiverDan has a brilliant futureHuronRiverDan has a brilliant futureHuronRiverDan has a brilliant futureHuronRiverDan has a brilliant futureHuronRiverDan has a brilliant futureHuronRiverDan has a brilliant futureHuronRiverDan has a brilliant futureHuronRiverDan has a brilliant futureHuronRiverDan has a brilliant future
Send a message via Yahoo to HuronRiverDan

I'll give my vote to Grayling MI...Not that I don't like the western choices...

Dan
Old 02-24-2011, 03:18 PM

o mykiss is a jewel in the rougho mykiss is a jewel in the rougho mykiss is a jewel in the rougho mykiss is a jewel in the rough

Quote:
Originally Posted by dean_mt View Post
NO. Missoula is awful. Terrible place, you don't want to stop here on your way to Spokane or Seattle or where ever you are going!

I love living in Missoula, most of the time. It is currently 6 degrees with winds gusting 25 MPH.

Seriously, the LAST thing that any local of Missoula (and probably Dillon, Twin Bridges, etc) would want is to be named the "best of" anything that will draw more tourists to flog the local fisheries. There was a movie a dozen years that did a pretty job of it then. Maybe a place like Jackson, WY or Ennis or Pinedale or West Yellowstone that is already defined as a fishing town and tourist trap wouldn't mind. (OK, Ennis and Pinedale aren't tourist traps.)[COLOR="Silver"]
oh.... what's it called.... with that brad pitt guy......

---------- Post added at 04:15 PM ---------- Previous post was at 04:13 PM ----------

Quote:
Originally Posted by mikel View Post

missoula is nice.... did you know a river runs through it?.....

---------- Post added at 04:18 PM ---------- Previous post was at 04:15 PM ----------

Quote:
Originally Posted by dean_mt View Post
BOZEMAN. Go to Bozeman, it is WAY better - Yellowstone, Gallatin, Jeff, Madison, Paradise Valley -- plus it's fun little cow/coed kinda town!
one day.... when i land a job with SIMMS..... as the executive professional product tester