The North American Fly Fishing Forum

Go Back   The North American Fly Fishing Forum > General Fly Fishing Discussion > General Discussion

General Discussion General discussions regarding fly fishing as a whole. Ask questions. Get answers...

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 07-27-2009, 12:02 AM

Jer is on a distinguished road
Default An evening on the river

So , here I am on the South Santiam river its about 7pm.. Fly Fishing for some rainbows , the river has been red hot for Steelhead so I figure with all the steelhead anglers floating the river I should be the only Fly Guy searching for trout.... I was correct....

After about 45 minutes or so of no success at all , I started looking around and noticed that there were tons of Mayflies ( or what I think were mayflies) landing on the water everywhere and not 1 sinlge rise from a trout or anything... I waited it out for about another 45 minutes or so to see if the bite was going to becoming on and nothing , so I packed up and headed home.. I did however manage to take a few pictures...

The guy I know that lives on the water was telling me that the fish should start getting active anytime , but it didnt seem to happen.. Next time I might try running some bead heads or something.. but for now it was just another beautiful day on the river.

Anyone have any suggestions or similar experiences , I am completely new to this Fly Fishing world and would love as much advbice as possible.. As of right now I have been fly fishing for about a month and am absolutely hooked.. Thanks everyone for such a great forum , [I] plan on giving more updates on my progress..

Last edited by Jer; 07-30-2009 at 03:42 AM.
Old 07-27-2009, 08:48 AM
Administrator

mcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: An evening on the river

Jer: I was on the North Platte River the other day and there were lots of caddis and pmd's in the air but I only saw one fish come to the surface so I changed out my rig to a nymphing rig using searching patterns (hare's ears, pheasant tails, etc). I hooked into four fish, but had to leave early, I thought that the evening fishing might have been better but I had a social engagement I had to attend. If you have a fly shop in the area you might stop in and ask them for suggestions on what patterns to try, they will have the best information.

Larry