The North American Fly Fishing Forum

Go Back   The North American Fly Fishing Forum > General Fly Fishing Discussion > General Discussion

General Discussion General discussions regarding fly fishing as a whole. Ask questions. Get answers...

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 07-27-2009, 02:29 PM

Teamanglerx will become famous soon enough
Default Two Fly Setup

I recently have been looking at trying two frly dropper rigs (ie: hopper and dropper, etc.) I have seen some people using a Elk Hair Caddis in front of a nymph but no mention of the size. How big should the caddis be (14,12?).
Old 07-27-2009, 03:06 PM

devon flyfisher will become famous soon enoughdevon flyfisher will become famous soon enough
Default Re: Two Fly Setup

Depends on how big the natural is,and how turbulent the river is, on my river in the UK i fish a 16 Elk Hair with a size 18 gold bead nymph, more often than not a flashback ptn.
But that combo also worked in MT last year.
Cheers
Richard
Old 07-27-2009, 03:08 PM

Bigfly has much to be proud ofBigfly has much to be proud ofBigfly has much to be proud ofBigfly has much to be proud ofBigfly has much to be proud ofBigfly has much to be proud ofBigfly has much to be proud ofBigfly has much to be proud ofBigfly has much to be proud ofBigfly has much to be proud of
Send a message via AIM to Bigfly

Team, it all depends on the amount of weight inherent in your nymph choice. I like foam bodies (barges), for heavy weighted nymphs (bead heads, and multiple flies etc...). Unweighted nymphs, on light hooks, can be fished on very small dry flies. This is a good approach for spooky fish. I use 5-6x Floro for my dropper, and they often like the unweighted desert portion. Better action, I think. When fishing for rollers not risers, this is a great approach.

Bigfly
Old 07-27-2009, 04:12 PM

Teamanglerx will become famous soon enough

I carry Elk Hair Caddis in size 14. I was looking at using a beadhead hare's ear or beadhead pt nymph in a 16 or 18.
Old 07-27-2009, 05:02 PM

Walter1023 is a jewel in the roughWalter1023 is a jewel in the roughWalter1023 is a jewel in the roughWalter1023 is a jewel in the rough

I'd go with the #18 w/ a 14 Caddis....easier to cast. By the way...those are great hopper/dropper choices. You can go with the 14/16 combo...just a little more difficult and sloppier to cast.....you won't get any "tight loops" anyway with either...they'll be a bit more open ...but you have twice the chance of a hookup and you'll be eyeing your dry fly indicator with more excited anticipation that if it were yarn or foam. You'll see how they cast and then decide what choice.
Old 07-27-2009, 07:10 PM

Pocono has a reputation beyond reputePocono has a reputation beyond reputePocono has a reputation beyond reputePocono has a reputation beyond reputePocono has a reputation beyond reputePocono has a reputation beyond reputePocono has a reputation beyond reputePocono has a reputation beyond reputePocono has a reputation beyond reputePocono has a reputation beyond reputePocono has a reputation beyond repute

I fish a dry/dropper rig a lot.

In the early Spring, I'm usually using an Elk Hair Caddis #14 with either a #16 or #18 Prince or a red Copper John off the end; about 12-18" off the bend in the dry. I also use fluoro for the dropper; usually in a 6x. I've also used Royal Wulffs as the dry; both the Coachman version and the White version. Both work almost as well as the Elk Hair Caddis if you're in a stream with a reasonable amount of current. When the current really picks up, I'm back almost exclusively with the Elk Hair Caddis. There's something about the hollow chambers in elk hair that just makes that fly float in almost every stream situation that you're apt to encounter. I'll even use an Elk Hair Caddis dry with a dropper when I'm casting into the base of a plunge pool; knowing that even though the dry will be sucked under by the plunge currents, it will re-emerge downstream with the dropper still intact. I've actually had good strikes on the dry caddis when it's underwater! Which, as you might imagine, has given me an idea or two.

In the Summer, I'm usually going with a #12 Chernobyl Ant as the dry and hanging amost anything off the back as a dropper. I'll often times fish a soft hackle off the ant; sometimes a tandem double soft hackle dropper.

A couple of weeks ago, I was fishing a triple wet fly rig off an intermediate sinking tip line on a couple of the limestone creeks in Central PA. It's a nice rig. You fish it across on the diagonal, mend and let it dead drift downstream with something akin to a Leisenring lift at the end. That rig gives the fish 3 different choices and once you find out what they're striking on, you can go to a single wet set-up if that's what you prefer. I don't recommend that you do much false casting with a triple fly set-up; not unless you really relish untangling a knotted leader!

Another rig that I like to fish at plunge pools is a double nymph. I use a floating line with about 3 ft of intermediate sinking line joined to the tip and follow that with a leader with something like a #14 beadhead pheasant tail then a #16 red Copper John (yes, I like that fly a lot - and so do the fish!) tied off the bend in the first nymph. I fish it up and across, hold the rod high and retrive with an almost vertical motion.

Frankly, now that I think more about it, it's been a long time since I've put a single fly on my line if I'm fishing for trout; unless there's a good hatch going on!
Old 07-28-2009, 02:33 PM

Bigfly has much to be proud ofBigfly has much to be proud ofBigfly has much to be proud ofBigfly has much to be proud ofBigfly has much to be proud ofBigfly has much to be proud ofBigfly has much to be proud ofBigfly has much to be proud ofBigfly has much to be proud ofBigfly has much to be proud of
Send a message via AIM to Bigfly

Did a bug seine with a client, and found three different stages of the same bug.
Thought it was a good time to fish three flies. An unweighted nymph, on the bottom dropper, weighted epoxy back emerger in the middle, Cripple/emerger near the surface film. Small fish took near surface, med and lrg fish took bottom flies.
Switched to bouncing heavier nymphs, and enjoyed ourselves.
Three flies are a good way to get questions answered.

Bigfly
Old 07-31-2009, 11:17 AM
Administrator

mcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bigfly View Post
Did a bug seine with a client, and found three different stages of the same bug.
Thought it was a good time to fish three flies. An unweighted nymph, on the bottom dropper, weighted epoxy back emerger in the middle, Cripple/emerger near the surface film. Small fish took near surface, med and lrg fish took bottom flies.
Switched to bouncing heavier nymphs, and enjoyed ourselves.
Three flies are a good way to get questions answered.
Very good point! Thanks for the tip.

Larry
Old 07-31-2009, 02:53 PM

aroostookbasser has a spectacular aura aboutaroostookbasser has a spectacular aura aboutaroostookbasser has a spectacular aura about

Your dead on Pocono!!!!!

"As The deer Thirts For Water, I thirst for you Oh Lord"

North Woods Wanderings
Adventure into the North Woods.......

"Aroostook Flyers and Tyers"
Old 03-21-2011, 12:35 PM

threeweight will become famous soon enough

Often I can eliminate added shot in my nymph rigs by using a large, heavy stonefly nymph or wooly bugger along with a much smaller nymph above. If the point fly is heaviest casting gets easier.

Another way to accomplish the same thing is to leave the tag of your terminal knot long, throw a loop in the end of the long tag and add shot to the end of that.

Weight in the middle of two flies is harder to cast.