The North American Fly Fishing Forum

Go Back   The North American Fly Fishing Forum > General Fly Fishing Discussion > General Discussion

General Discussion General discussions regarding fly fishing as a whole. Ask questions. Get answers...

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 02-26-2011, 07:51 PM

freestoneangler is on a distinguished road
Default Re: Storing fly line?

On my reels ready to go. Seriously, I have never taken lines off my reels/spools...too much like work I just keep them out of the sun and stretch them out a few days before the season (if they haven't been used for awhile). Most of the higher quality lines do not take a permanant set and the little memory they do have works its way out pretty easily.

"no matter where you go... there you are"
Old 02-27-2011, 01:32 AM

floorabove is on a distinguished road

Thanks for all the suggestions...I think I like the scotch one the best!!!

About taking the lines off the reels a few days before the season to stretch them out....how does one go about this?
Old 02-27-2011, 03:14 AM

nerka will become famous soon enoughnerka will become famous soon enough

Quote:
Originally Posted by floorabove View Post
Thanks for all the suggestions...I think I like the scotch one the best!!!

About taking the lines off the reels a few days before the season to stretch them out....how does one go about this?
You can tie the butt section to a fence post or something similar and take a quick walk to the end and provide some tension on the reel in your hand.

Or even better I have my niece run out the length of line as fast as she can to ensure the line will play properly and provide some resistance giving the line a bit of a stretch.
Old 02-28-2011, 06:15 PM

floorabove is on a distinguished road

Thanks nerka

---------- Post added at 07:15 PM ---------- Previous post was at 07:12 PM ----------

One more question, and I hope I can get an answer wbut I may have to start a new thread....

I have about 5 fly lines I took off of reels and put in zip locks as suggested here, or that I bought on used fly reels ....but the problem is I can not remeber exactly what line they were...are there any identifying marks as to brand line wt etc etc?
Old 02-28-2011, 06:32 PM

JoJer is a splendid one to beholdJoJer is a splendid one to beholdJoJer is a splendid one to beholdJoJer is a splendid one to beholdJoJer is a splendid one to beholdJoJer is a splendid one to beholdJoJer is a splendid one to behold

Put it on a reel and see which weight rod it will load?
Old 03-01-2011, 03:35 PM

JoJer is a splendid one to beholdJoJer is a splendid one to beholdJoJer is a splendid one to beholdJoJer is a splendid one to beholdJoJer is a splendid one to beholdJoJer is a splendid one to beholdJoJer is a splendid one to behold

BTW- If you decide to go with storing lines on 2 liter soda bottles: Drill a hole thru the center of the cap, put a small bolt from the inside out, put a nut on the bolt, put the bolt in your drill/driver, screw the bottle on the cap. Then you can take the line off the reel as fast as you can "lay" it on the bottle.