The North American Fly Fishing Forum
Go Back   The North American Fly Fishing Forum > General Fly Fishing Discussion > General Discussion

General Discussion General discussions regarding fly fishing as a whole. Ask questions. Get answers...

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 02-24-2011, 11:01 PM

floorabove is on a distinguished road
Default Storing fly line?

So when I take my fly line off my fly reel, how do I store it?

If I had the foresight to put the empty fly spool in a place I could remebr I would not be asking this question.

Does any company sell emty fly spools? Is there some cheap alternative?

Thanks
Old 02-25-2011, 03:16 AM

fredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Storing fly line?

Frequently fly fishing stores will have some left over line spools; ask ... worst thing they can say is 'no.' Many of us just use (freezer weight) plastic zip lock bags. Line comes off the spool (no need to strip the running line), chuck the whole thing in the bag and mark same with a marker pen.

Well, use the marker pen first.
Old 02-25-2011, 11:16 AM

Rip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond repute

Coffee cans are free, but you could spring for something like this

Click the image to open in full size.
Old 02-25-2011, 12:04 PM
Super Moderator

jpbfly has a reputation beyond reputejpbfly has a reputation beyond reputejpbfly has a reputation beyond reputejpbfly has a reputation beyond reputejpbfly has a reputation beyond reputejpbfly has a reputation beyond reputejpbfly has a reputation beyond reputejpbfly has a reputation beyond reputejpbfly has a reputation beyond reputejpbfly has a reputation beyond reputejpbfly has a reputation beyond repute

Never store my lines...I fish all year long
Very nice"machine" Ripis it home made?
Old 02-25-2011, 09:32 PM

chrome_jones will become famous soon enoughchrome_jones will become famous soon enough

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rip Tide View Post
Coffee cans are free, but you could spring for something like this

Click the image to open in full size.
Coffee can is a good idea, I recently threw a line around 2 liter bottle because I'm lazy and it was there, but loving your wooden reel. Suuuuuuuuuuuweeeeeeet!
Old 02-25-2011, 09:50 PM

fredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond repute

Oh so no-no-no.

One takes a new bottle of single malt, strips cap, pulls cork and pours a large 'wee dram' IN TO A PROPER GLASS.

NO ice .. P-A-leeese!!

Cork goes back in, but will/may be back out in a few minutes? 'Things may not go as 'Planed.' But that's life? Right?
Shxt Happens?

Follow me here on this one. This is where you take a large sip .. just testing the contents, mind you, just testing the contents. This is "Critical Path" stuff here.

Moving on ... gently wrap the line around the lower half of the bottle, pull off and .... Secure with pipe cleaners and tuck away into a zip log bag that's been properly pre-marked for content.

Darn it Man! You made the loops too tight .. but not to worry.. there is Salvation! (Sort of) ADAPT TO ADVERSITY!

Gently pull the line off the bottom of the bottle, pull out the cork and 'refresh' beverage.

Retry, but this does take some practice. You may have to repeat the process a couple, or three times, before you get to the second line.

But .. "Practz deos mak perrfoct." so I'm tolod.

U wil Know u hab 'suckess,' or nto, .... refrsehen beverxo,ge adn tyri tyi agn ....
:>)

fae
Old 02-26-2011, 12:28 AM

billydafish is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by floorabove View Post
So when I take my fly line off my fly reel, how do I store it?

If I had the foresight to put the empty fly spool in a place I could remebr I would not be asking this question.

Does any company sell emty fly spools? Is there some cheap alternative?

Thanks
Any shop worth it's salt should rip it for free and mine spools it on empty's for free for me...
Old 02-26-2011, 02:12 AM

nerka will become famous soon enoughnerka will become famous soon enough

Quote:
Originally Posted by billydafish View Post
Any shop worth it's salt should rip it for free and mine spools it on empty's for free for me...
When I worked in the shop of a large box outdoors store we used to keep dozens if not hundreds of empty fly line spools after the line had been spooled on reels. If asked we would simply give them out. I think more shops will do the same. Otherwise I like the suggestion from FAE.
Old 02-26-2011, 01:43 PM

FISHN50 is a splendid one to beholdFISHN50 is a splendid one to beholdFISHN50 is a splendid one to beholdFISHN50 is a splendid one to beholdFISHN50 is a splendid one to beholdFISHN50 is a splendid one to beholdFISHN50 is a splendid one to behold

I like Fred's method.
Only I use a paper sandwich bag after washing the line with mild soap
& the water I don't dilute the Single malt with.

Neil
Old 02-26-2011, 05:05 PM

Liphookedau is a splendid one to beholdLiphookedau is a splendid one to beholdLiphookedau is a splendid one to beholdLiphookedau is a splendid one to beholdLiphookedau is a splendid one to beholdLiphookedau is a splendid one to beholdLiphookedau is a splendid one to behold

Like many others I store my lines on the Reels,however it's a good idea to keep an eye on lines & give them an occassional clean.
Also Rip Tide excellent Winder,very flash.