The North American Fly Fishing Forum

Go Back   The North American Fly Fishing Forum > General Fly Fishing Discussion > General Discussion

General Discussion General discussions regarding fly fishing as a whole. Ask questions. Get answers...

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 02-25-2011, 10:47 AM

txbevo has a spectacular aura abouttxbevo has a spectacular aura about
Default Knotless Tapered Leader Question

This past week I had a day on the water where I started out nymphing, but soon decided to switch to streamers. I was fishing 4x & 5x leaders for the nymphs but wanted to go no lighter than 2x on the streamers. The problem I had was that I had nothing heavier than 4x tapered knotless leaders on me. Is there a formula or rule of thumb for knowing how much I need to clip off of a commercial knotless tapered leader to get to a specific diameter? In other words, if I have a 9' knotless leader tapered to 4x can I cut off 3' and get to 2x? Or let's say you have a 7.5' knotless leader tapered to 4x. Would you cut off 2.5' to get to 2x? I assume I could buy a micrometer and use it, but I don't want to really buy another gadget to carry streamside. I guess I could just take a piece of 2x tippet and hold it along side the leader until I find a match. What do you do in this situation?
Old 02-25-2011, 05:19 PM
Administrator

Frank Whiton has a reputation beyond reputeFrank Whiton has a reputation beyond reputeFrank Whiton has a reputation beyond reputeFrank Whiton has a reputation beyond reputeFrank Whiton has a reputation beyond reputeFrank Whiton has a reputation beyond reputeFrank Whiton has a reputation beyond reputeFrank Whiton has a reputation beyond reputeFrank Whiton has a reputation beyond reputeFrank Whiton has a reputation beyond reputeFrank Whiton has a reputation beyond repute
Send a message via Skype™ to Frank Whiton
Default Re: Knotless Tapered Leader Question

Hi txbevo,

What you need is a leader gage. I have used the Mike-Rite for years and it is the only way to know what size leader material you are dealing with. With a knotless tapered leader you can measure exactly where the transition from leader to tippet is located. When I rig for nymphing I cut off all but 6" of the tippet and tie a Perfection loop close to the transition. I then add 18" to 24" of tippet looped to loop. The knot allows quick change of tippets and stops split shot from sliding down the tippet. I just adjust the tippet length to how far away from the split shot I want the first fly.

Fishpond also makes one.

Frank

Click the image to open in full size.
Old 02-25-2011, 06:44 PM

Flityer has a spectacular aura aboutFlityer has a spectacular aura aboutFlityer has a spectacular aura about

I save tapered leaders of any kind for dry fly fishing . If I am nymphing or swinging streamers for trout I have 2 spools of fluorocarbon in my pocket thats it 1 is 8lb and the other is 4lb. From my fly line I make a main line the length of my rod from the tip to the center of the grip from there I tie my 4lb tippet . At the knot you made you can leave a tag for your weight.Your tippet length will vary depending on how you want to fish. It will save you a little money and your set up will be more drag resistant as you don't have that heavy taper being swept away by the current.You'll catch more fish to!

Allen Landheer
Fly fishing is not for everyone..
-Fly fishing since 1971-

Last edited by Flityer; 02-25-2011 at 07:08 PM.
Old 02-25-2011, 06:58 PM

Jimmie has a brilliant futureJimmie has a brilliant futureJimmie has a brilliant futureJimmie has a brilliant futureJimmie has a brilliant futureJimmie has a brilliant futureJimmie has a brilliant futureJimmie has a brilliant futureJimmie has a brilliant futureJimmie has a brilliant futureJimmie has a brilliant future

What Flityer said. Save the more expensive tapered leader, and throw on some 8 lb for streamers.