The North American Fly Fishing Forum

Go Back   The North American Fly Fishing Forum > General Fly Fishing Discussion > General Discussion

General Discussion General discussions regarding fly fishing as a whole. Ask questions. Get answers...

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 02-25-2011, 07:10 PM
Super Moderator

fyshstykr has a reputation beyond reputefyshstykr has a reputation beyond reputefyshstykr has a reputation beyond reputefyshstykr has a reputation beyond reputefyshstykr has a reputation beyond reputefyshstykr has a reputation beyond reputefyshstykr has a reputation beyond reputefyshstykr has a reputation beyond reputefyshstykr has a reputation beyond reputefyshstykr has a reputation beyond reputefyshstykr has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: What are your two most fish-catching fly materials of all time?

I am with Bigdog and Frank.....no question for me, it's Peacock Herl and Marabou.

"Whoever said happiness comes with sunshine, has never known a Steelhead fisherman who prays for Fall rains."

Old 02-25-2011, 07:16 PM

Flityer has a spectacular aura aboutFlityer has a spectacular aura aboutFlityer has a spectacular aura about

The two best natural materials polar bear for streamers and wets have even used it as tailing for dries nothing compares ..I was fortunate to know several old time salmon fly tiers and ended up inheriting a bunch of it . And seal dubbing for almost every fly I even tye dries with it, but where it really shines is on nymphs. And I will echo as well what the others have said peacock , it contains more uv properties than any natural feather which makes it one of the best fish catchers for sure..

Allen Landheer
Fly fishing is not for everyone..
-Fly fishing since 1971-
Old 02-25-2011, 07:31 PM

Walter1023 is a glorious beacon of lightWalter1023 is a glorious beacon of lightWalter1023 is a glorious beacon of lightWalter1023 is a glorious beacon of lightWalter1023 is a glorious beacon of light

Aside from hooks and thread...I can honestly say I could lead a very successful and productive fly tying/ flyfishing life and not need or want for anything else:
1) Peacock herl
2) saddle hackle
3) Antron
4) snowshoe rabbit foot

I live a dubbing-free existence

---------- Post added at 07:31 PM ---------- Previous post was at 07:23 PM ----------

I shoukd have added 1 more....but it is my 5th well behind the 4 listed.... "CDC" - a little neater looking than showshoe hair...but thats only to the eye of the fisherman (not the fish).
Old 02-25-2011, 07:32 PM

littledavid123 has a reputation beyond reputelittledavid123 has a reputation beyond reputelittledavid123 has a reputation beyond reputelittledavid123 has a reputation beyond reputelittledavid123 has a reputation beyond reputelittledavid123 has a reputation beyond reputelittledavid123 has a reputation beyond reputelittledavid123 has a reputation beyond reputelittledavid123 has a reputation beyond reputelittledavid123 has a reputation beyond reputelittledavid123 has a reputation beyond repute

Without a doubt it has to be black thread and copper wire (zebra midges)

Only been flying and tying a few weeks.

Dave
Old 02-26-2011, 01:29 AM

nerka will become famous soon enoughnerka will become famous soon enough

Bunny Strips, bucktail.
Old 02-26-2011, 12:09 PM

webrx is a splendid one to beholdwebrx is a splendid one to beholdwebrx is a splendid one to beholdwebrx is a splendid one to beholdwebrx is a splendid one to beholdwebrx is a splendid one to beholdwebrx is a splendid one to behold

Interesting, I also am inquisitive, and often put together flies I think will catch fish based on the materials. Peacock herl is definately number 1, and while I have used, dubbing, maribou, elk hair, etc as a second material, I am gonna say Krystal Flash is my number 2 fish catching material (in various colors) especially for river fishing. You almost have to have a little flash to get the fish to find and pick your nymph among all the other items in the water.

Dave
Old 02-26-2011, 02:58 PM
EXPATRIATE will become famous soon enoughEXPATRIATE will become famous soon enough

I feel the two most effective materials are 1.peacock herl as it just looks like a bugs body and 2. hare's ear dubbing as it looks even more "buggy" than peacock herl.
Old 02-26-2011, 05:55 PM

HuronRiverDan has a brilliant futureHuronRiverDan has a brilliant futureHuronRiverDan has a brilliant futureHuronRiverDan has a brilliant futureHuronRiverDan has a brilliant futureHuronRiverDan has a brilliant futureHuronRiverDan has a brilliant futureHuronRiverDan has a brilliant futureHuronRiverDan has a brilliant futureHuronRiverDan has a brilliant futureHuronRiverDan has a brilliant future
Send a message via Yahoo to HuronRiverDan

My two best materials are Ice Dub and marabou, you can do so much with them.

Dan
Old 02-26-2011, 06:29 PM

Liphookedau has much to be proud ofLiphookedau has much to be proud ofLiphookedau has much to be proud ofLiphookedau has much to be proud ofLiphookedau has much to be proud ofLiphookedau has much to be proud ofLiphookedau has much to be proud ofLiphookedau has much to be proud of

When I & probably others as well think,we all know most flies we tie mainly need 3 or more materials & there are unlimited materials which we make flies from & catch plenty of fish on,however I have to agree,probably the most mainly/successfully used to catch fish would have to be Peacock Herl & Hackle Feathers.
However there are plenty more which are not far behind.
Old 02-26-2011, 06:29 PM

kglissmeyer1 has a reputation beyond reputekglissmeyer1 has a reputation beyond reputekglissmeyer1 has a reputation beyond reputekglissmeyer1 has a reputation beyond reputekglissmeyer1 has a reputation beyond reputekglissmeyer1 has a reputation beyond reputekglissmeyer1 has a reputation beyond reputekglissmeyer1 has a reputation beyond reputekglissmeyer1 has a reputation beyond reputekglissmeyer1 has a reputation beyond reputekglissmeyer1 has a reputation beyond repute

Peacock herl and pheasant-tail, hands down.

Kelly.