The North American Fly Fishing Forum

Go Back   The North American Fly Fishing Forum > General Fly Fishing Discussion > General Discussion

General Discussion General discussions regarding fly fishing as a whole. Ask questions. Get answers...

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 02-25-2011, 03:13 PM

FlyFlinger2421 will become famous soon enoughFlyFlinger2421 will become famous soon enough
Default What are your two most fish-catching fly materials of all time?

I was tying some flies today and thought about this. I don't think there is any question in my mind that peacock herl and marabou have been tops for me.
How about you?
Old 02-25-2011, 03:25 PM
Administrator

Hardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond repute
Send a message via Yahoo to Hardyreels Send a message via Skype™ to Hardyreels
Default Re: What are your two most fish-catching fly materials of all time?

Saddle hackle & floss on my wet flies;

Stripped quill and hackle on my dries;

Dubbed fur & slate mallard wings are an alternate choice for the dry flies. I had to make it complicated because I think my streamer fly fishing is catching up to the dry fly fishing in numbers of fish caught.

Ard

Life On The Line - Alaska Fishing with Ard

The Alaska Fishing & Outdoors Blog;
Old 02-25-2011, 03:31 PM
Super Moderator

jpbfly has a reputation beyond reputejpbfly has a reputation beyond reputejpbfly has a reputation beyond reputejpbfly has a reputation beyond reputejpbfly has a reputation beyond reputejpbfly has a reputation beyond reputejpbfly has a reputation beyond reputejpbfly has a reputation beyond reputejpbfly has a reputation beyond reputejpbfly has a reputation beyond reputejpbfly has a reputation beyond repute

rooster cape hackle....black hare flash dubbing
Old 02-25-2011, 03:58 PM

Jimmie has a brilliant futureJimmie has a brilliant futureJimmie has a brilliant futureJimmie has a brilliant futureJimmie has a brilliant futureJimmie has a brilliant futureJimmie has a brilliant futureJimmie has a brilliant futureJimmie has a brilliant futureJimmie has a brilliant futureJimmie has a brilliant future

Peacock Herl

The next was going to be pheasant tail until the guys above said hackle. So...........

Marabou (fickle enough?)

Last edited by Jimmie; 02-26-2011 at 09:35 AM.
Old 02-25-2011, 04:08 PM

popperfly is a name known to allpopperfly is a name known to allpopperfly is a name known to allpopperfly is a name known to allpopperfly is a name known to allpopperfly is a name known to all
Send a message via Skype™ to popperfly

Orange Crackle Back - Peacock herl and Punch yarn

Hook - Size #10/12
Thread - Black
Shellback - Peacock Herl
Body - you can use Uni-thread, punch yarn, (orange is my favorite color) Hackle - Full body palmered

Note: you can add lead for weight .025 (5 to 8 wraps)

Crackle Back, Click here

Born to Fish...Forced to Work !
Old 02-25-2011, 04:11 PM

ant is a splendid one to beholdant is a splendid one to beholdant is a splendid one to beholdant is a splendid one to beholdant is a splendid one to beholdant is a splendid one to beholdant is a splendid one to behold

I would have to say hooks.
FlyFishinado - My Fly Fishing Blog
Old 02-25-2011, 04:39 PM
Administrator

Frank Whiton has a reputation beyond reputeFrank Whiton has a reputation beyond reputeFrank Whiton has a reputation beyond reputeFrank Whiton has a reputation beyond reputeFrank Whiton has a reputation beyond reputeFrank Whiton has a reputation beyond reputeFrank Whiton has a reputation beyond reputeFrank Whiton has a reputation beyond reputeFrank Whiton has a reputation beyond reputeFrank Whiton has a reputation beyond reputeFrank Whiton has a reputation beyond repute
Send a message via Skype™ to Frank Whiton

I will go with Bigdog and say pecock herl and marabou. Peacock binging the number one by a long shot for me.

Frank
Old 02-25-2011, 05:02 PM

madjoni has much to be proud ofmadjoni has much to be proud ofmadjoni has much to be proud ofmadjoni has much to be proud ofmadjoni has much to be proud ofmadjoni has much to be proud ofmadjoni has much to be proud ofmadjoni has much to be proud of
Send a message via Skype™ to madjoni

I will be very specific just like the question is.....so,best two foe me is dark dun hackle and claret dubbing
Old 02-25-2011, 05:19 PM

araitim is just really nicearaitim is just really nicearaitim is just really nicearaitim is just really nice

Quote:
Originally Posted by ant View Post
I would have to say hooks.
i agree with Ant. i think the hook is the MOST fish-catching material i use.
Old 02-25-2011, 05:54 PM

FlyFlinger2421 will become famous soon enoughFlyFlinger2421 will become famous soon enough

Since I said material, you guys that said "hooks" really meant "steel" right? LOL!
Dry fly hackle probably doesn't count because it's main purpose in my mind is to float the fly, not attract the fish.
What I meant was the two materials that are most ATTRACTIVE to fish! That probably leaves out hooks and dry fly hackle.