The North American Fly Fishing Forum

Go Back   The North American Fly Fishing Forum > General Fly Fishing Discussion > General Discussion

General Discussion General discussions regarding fly fishing as a whole. Ask questions. Get answers...

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 07-30-2009, 11:27 AM
jaker1011 is on a distinguished road
Default Fly Tying Business

I have been tying for a few years now, and I have wanted to sell my flies for along time. I am a good tier, and I would like to find a company that would buy my flies. I am also going to talk to the local fly shop owner to see if he would buy some flies. Any suggestions about companies that might hire me would be great.
Old 07-30-2009, 12:04 PM

axle27 has much to be proud ofaxle27 has much to be proud ofaxle27 has much to be proud ofaxle27 has much to be proud ofaxle27 has much to be proud ofaxle27 has much to be proud ofaxle27 has much to be proud ofaxle27 has much to be proud ofaxle27 has much to be proud of

check you pm
Old 07-30-2009, 12:14 PM
jaker1011 is on a distinguished road

If you didnt get my last message, than here it is: Yes! I would like to. If your idea gets off the ground than I would be happy to supply you.
Old 07-30-2009, 01:50 PM

JoJer is a splendid one to beholdJoJer is a splendid one to beholdJoJer is a splendid one to beholdJoJer is a splendid one to beholdJoJer is a splendid one to beholdJoJer is a splendid one to beholdJoJer is a splendid one to behold

From what I've read, this biz is a hard haul. You have to be very fast and very consistant and tie to specific reciepes. You tie a gross, send them in and they buy the ones they like and return the rest.
I know I would hate to have to depend on my tying skills to eat!
Old 07-30-2009, 04:50 PM

aroostookbasser has a spectacular aura aboutaroostookbasser has a spectacular aura aboutaroostookbasser has a spectacular aura about

for purposes of clarity...if a tyer is going hungry one would have to question his skill at fishing over his skill at tying...... just a thought.

"As The deer Thirts For Water, I thirst for you Oh Lord"

North Woods Wanderings
Adventure into the North Woods.......

"Aroostook Flyers and Tyers"
Old 07-30-2009, 05:04 PM

JoJer is a splendid one to beholdJoJer is a splendid one to beholdJoJer is a splendid one to beholdJoJer is a splendid one to beholdJoJer is a splendid one to beholdJoJer is a splendid one to beholdJoJer is a splendid one to behold

Truely, both skills questionable.. but I still have fun.
Old 07-30-2009, 05:31 PM

Rip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond repute

Nice read, very telling

http://www.stripersurf.com/micus_26.html
Old 08-03-2009, 12:28 PM
Super Moderator

fyshstykr has a reputation beyond reputefyshstykr has a reputation beyond reputefyshstykr has a reputation beyond reputefyshstykr has a reputation beyond reputefyshstykr has a reputation beyond reputefyshstykr has a reputation beyond reputefyshstykr has a reputation beyond reputefyshstykr has a reputation beyond reputefyshstykr has a reputation beyond reputefyshstykr has a reputation beyond reputefyshstykr has a reputation beyond repute

Great read.
I can appreciate the O.P. desire to earn some coin doing something that we get so much joy from. At one point or another many of us have thought of or tried doing the same.

Honestly though, as the article mentioned, it is very hard to compete with the oversea's factories. Their overhead is very low, they buy hooks, hackle, and material in such large amounts that I can only imagine the discounts they are given, and the overall quality has vastly improved over the years.(some not all).

In my opinion it's an uphill battle if one wants to make a living at it, but I do think a person could still make some fair coin tieing local proven patterns.

Good Luck with whichever direction you choose.

"Whoever said happiness comes with sunshine, has never known a Steelhead fisherman who prays for Fall rains."

Old 08-03-2009, 12:34 PM
Super Moderator

jpbfly has a reputation beyond reputejpbfly has a reputation beyond reputejpbfly has a reputation beyond reputejpbfly has a reputation beyond reputejpbfly has a reputation beyond reputejpbfly has a reputation beyond reputejpbfly has a reputation beyond reputejpbfly has a reputation beyond reputejpbfly has a reputation beyond reputejpbfly has a reputation beyond reputejpbfly has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by jaker1011 View Post
I have been tying for a few years now, and I have wanted to sell my flies for along time. I am a good tier, and I would like to find a company that would buy my flies. I am also going to talk to the local fly shop owner to see if he would buy some flies. Any suggestions about companies that might hire me would be great.
A friend of mine sold flies for years...now he doesn't anymore(asian tiers earn a few dollars a day)...I think the local flyshop is the best solution...you could visit the fishing lodges in your area too.
Good luck.JP
Old 08-03-2009, 04:20 PM
Administrator

Frank Whiton has a reputation beyond reputeFrank Whiton has a reputation beyond reputeFrank Whiton has a reputation beyond reputeFrank Whiton has a reputation beyond reputeFrank Whiton has a reputation beyond reputeFrank Whiton has a reputation beyond reputeFrank Whiton has a reputation beyond reputeFrank Whiton has a reputation beyond reputeFrank Whiton has a reputation beyond reputeFrank Whiton has a reputation beyond reputeFrank Whiton has a reputation beyond repute
Send a message via Skype™ to Frank Whiton

Hi jaker1011,

I think you have to realize that on run of the mill flies you can't compete with the cheap overseas labor. You have a good idea with the local fly shop. But you need to go to towns around you and sell to all the fly shops. You won't make any money with one shop. Even these shops won't pay a high price for a Woolly Bugger. Why would they buy from you when there are wholesale sellers that import hundreds of flies at a time. Maybe even thousands at a time. There price per fly is really cheap.

Now if you have some special flies many big shops like Kaurman's will sell private label flies but there are top of the line flies that come from tiers with world class reputations. Even then I wonder if they tie the flies themselves. Just for instance, Bob Clouser sells his original Clouser minnow for $2.95. Because it is sold by Bob people will pay top dollar. You regular fly fisher on a budget won't pay that price. So until you get a name like Clouser or Barr or Whitlock you won't get top dollar for you flies.

Here is one area I think you could work with. Saltwater flies are expensive. My local fly shop have some in the $5 range. A small saltwater fly shop may be a target for your flies. If you are not a saltwater fly fisher you will lack the knowledge of what to tie.

Another target is to sell a group of flies for Alaska, or Montana or some target area. Lets say you advertise for special flies for Alaska. You sell packages of flies for the trip boxed and ready to go. To do this you need some knowledge of the area and that is hard to come by.

To make this work you need a web site and some money. It is not easy to do and there are other people doing the same thing. To make a living it will just be plain hard.

Frank