The North American Fly Fishing Forum

Go Back   The North American Fly Fishing Forum > General Fly Fishing Discussion > General Discussion

General Discussion General discussions regarding fly fishing as a whole. Ask questions. Get answers...

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 02-26-2011, 06:39 PM

littledavid123 has a reputation beyond reputelittledavid123 has a reputation beyond reputelittledavid123 has a reputation beyond reputelittledavid123 has a reputation beyond reputelittledavid123 has a reputation beyond reputelittledavid123 has a reputation beyond reputelittledavid123 has a reputation beyond reputelittledavid123 has a reputation beyond reputelittledavid123 has a reputation beyond reputelittledavid123 has a reputation beyond reputelittledavid123 has a reputation beyond repute
Default Avoiding The Crowds

Ok you just pulled up to a favorite hole and the parking lot is packed and you don't have time to drive to another.

Would you rather hang with the crowds and perhaps catch a few more fish, or would you rather hit the tougher water and have it to yourself.

Dave
Old 02-26-2011, 06:56 PM

freestoneangler is on a distinguished road
Default Re: Avoiding The Crowds

I hate crowds, so I'll give up catch rate odds for tranquility...the primary reason I flyfish for trout

"no matter where you go... there you are"
Old 02-26-2011, 08:16 PM

cattech89 is a name known to allcattech89 is a name known to allcattech89 is a name known to allcattech89 is a name known to allcattech89 is a name known to allcattech89 is a name known to all

I have to agree with freestone, Id prefer to be alone. Helps me to just clear my head and enjoy being outdoors. There's much more to fishing than catching fish.....

My half-nickel......

It's not what I catch when I'm fishing, it's what I lose that matters to me...
----------------------------------------
Good decisions come from experience...Experience comes from bad decisions...
Old 02-26-2011, 09:44 PM

poke em has a spectacular aura aboutpoke em has a spectacular aura about

My favorite hole doesn't have a parking lot.
Old 02-26-2011, 09:54 PM

Davo has much to be proud ofDavo has much to be proud ofDavo has much to be proud ofDavo has much to be proud ofDavo has much to be proud ofDavo has much to be proud ofDavo has much to be proud ofDavo has much to be proud ofDavo has much to be proud ofDavo has much to be proud of
Send a message via MSN to Davo Send a message via Skype™ to Davo

Doesn't matter how many cars are in the parking lot, I float a 12 mile stretch of river and know how to read the water. I catch all the fish I could wish. But I do like finding a secluded place to enjoy the serenity. The plain truth is everyone has the right to fish and if you can't share then stay home.

Upstream Anglers and Outdoor Adventures
Old 02-26-2011, 10:25 PM

wt bash has a brilliant futurewt bash has a brilliant futurewt bash has a brilliant futurewt bash has a brilliant futurewt bash has a brilliant futurewt bash has a brilliant futurewt bash has a brilliant futurewt bash has a brilliant futurewt bash has a brilliant futurewt bash has a brilliant futurewt bash has a brilliant future

I live on B-water.
Old 02-27-2011, 03:24 AM

nerka will become famous soon enoughnerka will become famous soon enough

This is especially true in a few places of Alaska. The Russian River is a good example, but so is the Willow and Montana Creeks and probably dozens if not hundreds of other places.

If I find myself in a crowd I manage to hike either up or down river away from the crowds a few hundred yards, or even a few miles to avoid this.

Thankfully I also know many many many many many many many places that are easily acessed remotely with toys (Airplanes, boats, and various off road vehicles) that I can generally avoid the crowds and have an amazing experience catching fish.
Old 02-27-2011, 01:34 PM
Administrator

Hardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond repute
Send a message via Yahoo to Hardyreels Send a message via Skype™ to Hardyreels

Nerka,

You've got that right, getting away and expending some effort in doing so is well worth it. I can't do the Russian or the others you mentioned. Even the Salmon River of New York state does not compare to the Russian. A day trip in late September can be good on them but during salmon season I don't even think on them. A person would be better off tying flies at home rather than fishing the Russian. When it gets to the point when everywhere is like these crowded places at least I'll have my memories.

For those who have never seen what we are talking about or the circus that takes place at rivers like the Buskin over on Kodiak Island it is not quite the view you may have about fishing Alaska. If someone came to fish with me they would find that they had never heard of the places I would take them. The road system streams and rivers here take "Combat Fishing" to a whole new level because many of the combatants are actually armed also.

Life On The Line - Alaska Fishing with Ard

The Alaska Fishing & Outdoors Blog;
Old 02-27-2011, 02:29 PM

nerka will become famous soon enoughnerka will become famous soon enough

I know it Ard, when I was a kid I would head down there with family friends. When I was living out in the bush I got really spoiled with having exponentially more fish and all to myself.
I got talked into heading down my first season living back in Anchorage. I managed 3 fish and 4 near fist fights in less than 2 hours. I did go back but hiked about 4 miles to the falls area and fished on the upper line with a little more sanity but it was nothing like fishing on the Newhalen, Kanektok, Togiak, Nushagak, Wood, Naknek, Alagnak, or Kvichak. I love those Bristol Bay Rivers.....

Various pics but some good examples I could find through a google search...

You probably cant tell, but probably half of those folks are packing large revolvers or 12gauges. Also keep in mind this area is "fly fishing only" meaning most folks are throwing bucktail streamers with spinning gear.
Click the image to open in full size.

Old 02-27-2011, 02:32 PM

Davo has much to be proud ofDavo has much to be proud ofDavo has much to be proud ofDavo has much to be proud ofDavo has much to be proud ofDavo has much to be proud ofDavo has much to be proud ofDavo has much to be proud ofDavo has much to be proud ofDavo has much to be proud of
Send a message via MSN to Davo Send a message via Skype™ to Davo

Those pics are even worse than Yellowstone on opening day. I'm all for sharing water but if it comes to that every where I'll stay home.

Upstream Anglers and Outdoor Adventures