The North American Fly Fishing Forum

Go Back   The North American Fly Fishing Forum > General Fly Fishing Discussion > General Discussion

General Discussion General discussions regarding fly fishing as a whole. Ask questions. Get answers...

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 02-26-2011, 08:49 PM

kap10 is on a distinguished road
Default Lake Ontario Tributaries in March

Hi All,

I was wondering if anybody could give me some tips as to where to fish (walk in) on Lake Ontario Tributaries for Steelhead or Browns In March. Im not from there so I dont know much about the area or even if the fishing will be good at that time in March. I will be passing through and would like to spend a couple days if I can.

Thanks,
Old 02-27-2011, 10:42 AM

driftaway is on a distinguished road
Default Re: Lake Ontario Tributaries in March

There are a lot of Tribs coming into Lake Ontario. Where will you be at. Ny, Canada?
Old 02-28-2011, 02:52 PM

Thanks for the reply,
Which ever has the best fishing. I live in Montreal and I will be on my way to Toronto. I can go through NY on the way there and through Ontario on the way back. I'm not too sure as to when the fishing season is open on the Ontario side but I think there are alot of places in NY that are open year around.

Last edited by kap10; 02-28-2011 at 03:07 PM.
Old 02-28-2011, 03:39 PM
Administrator

Hardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond repute
Send a message via Yahoo to Hardyreels Send a message via Skype™ to Hardyreels

Kap,

I used to fish the NY side for lake run steelhead in March and then shifted to April. The spring fish will come in on and river or creek having rainbow / steelhead in them. Although there are fish in the rivers all winter as the days get longer in April the spring fish come in. The closer you can fish to the lake the fresher the fish. Fresh = more likely to take the fly.

One that I fished was the Salmon River and as time went on I fished there always. I found that jumping around did not lead to my learning much so I focused on the Salmon. That strategy paid off. Since you will be making this a first time trip pick a river that has the steelhead and then keep going there every chance you get. This is how to learn the river, its bottom, the holding water, and eventually the fish.

Ard

Life On The Line - Alaska Fishing with Ard

The Alaska Fishing & Outdoors Blog;
Old 02-28-2011, 04:07 PM

Thanks Ard for the quick response, I have heard lots about the Salmon River and how good the fishing can be, but also how pressured the waters are there. I'm new to salmon/steelhead fishing. I am from Alberta where the trout fishing is most popular. Are there any other rivers around the Salmon River that may not be as pressured and easier to fish for a new guy? Could you offer me any tips about fishing the salmon river (tackle setup and techniques) I have been reading these forums a lot lately and see you post quite a bit and seem to be full of knowledge, if you could share some more I would appreciate it a lot

Thanks,

Kyle
Old 02-28-2011, 04:36 PM
Administrator

Hardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond repute
Send a message via Yahoo to Hardyreels Send a message via Skype™ to Hardyreels

Hi Kyle,

The lower portion of the river (now known as the Dougleston Salmon Run) is where I fished in all seasons. These days I see that the fee is $40 / day to use the stretch. The river in this area has every type water you could want for any type of fishing. From deep pools to quick riffles, runs 3 - 5' in depth with plenty of troths and holding structure, this area has good conditions.

Knowing what rod and line you intend to use will be helpful in determining what I would recommend for rigs and techniques. I will wait to see what rod and line you have and we'll work from there.

Ard

---------- Post added at 12:36 PM ---------- Previous post was at 12:16 PM ----------

I have to get off the computer, if you want we can message about this later. Send a PM and I'll get back when I come back later today.

Life On The Line - Alaska Fishing with Ard

The Alaska Fishing & Outdoors Blog;
Old 02-28-2011, 05:09 PM

I have a Amundson 6wt 9' with Allen wff 6wt line and a spare spool with Scientific Angler Air Cell general purpose intermediate sinking line 6wt,

I have also Ordered A Allen Nano Ti 8wt 9' with a 9/10 Alpha reel and spare spool, also With Allen wff 8wt line and have not gotten another line for the extra spool.

That's what I have right now, Hopefully you can work with that, I'm open to any suggestions.

kyle