The North American Fly Fishing Forum

Go Back   The North American Fly Fishing Forum > General Fly Fishing Discussion > General Discussion

General Discussion General discussions regarding fly fishing as a whole. Ask questions. Get answers...

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 04-26-2006, 01:55 AM

TJ Rowden will become famous soon enoughTJ Rowden will become famous soon enough
Default On the hunt for wife FFing success . . .

From another post, a question came up for me that I'm looking for help with. My wife often supports the outings (though few recently) and has come along on a few. Honeslty, I think she could have an interest if . . . she can actually catch something. As I mentioned elsewhere, I think the fishgods have blackballed me being able to help her there.

I've heard that with a little research and trusted word-of-mouth references a guided trip can remedy the situation and make happy campers of both of us. But I want her to have an experience where she catches fish, enjoys the guide, and gets a whole lot of pampering on the water to make it an experience she'll want to have more of (minus the guide every time anyway ).

This in mind, any suggestions on what to look for in a guide service or experience that will improve our chances of the above the first time around?

Thanks in advance.

TJ
Old 04-26-2006, 11:26 AM
Joni has a reputation beyond reputeJoni has a reputation beyond reputeJoni has a reputation beyond reputeJoni has a reputation beyond reputeJoni has a reputation beyond reputeJoni has a reputation beyond reputeJoni has a reputation beyond reputeJoni has a reputation beyond reputeJoni has a reputation beyond reputeJoni has a reputation beyond reputeJoni has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: On the hunt for wife FFing success . . .

All I can say is "Falcon's Ledge - Altamont, UT" BEAUTIFUL! LOL
Old 04-26-2006, 12:25 PM
Chris Hewett will become famous soon enoughChris Hewett will become famous soon enough

A couple of suggestions from someone who has been on a guided trip several times with my wife.
1) a woman guide MIGHT help. It certainly won't hurt. We had a fabulous trip in Alaska with a woman guide (who also is an iditerod competitor).
2) talk to the guide ahead of the trip and let her/him know that the most important thing is that your wife have a good time (catching fish may not be the most important part of this equation)
3) do not, and this is the really hard part, fall into the trap of assuming that you can concentrate on fishing and your wife will have a good time anyway. The quality of the experience of any less experienced fisherperson (and this is especially true of wives and kids) is directly related to how much attention they get from the more experienced fisherman on board. Do not do the guide's job, but pay a lot of attention to her having a good experience.

4) your title says "FFing success...". Define success as both of you having a good time out there. If you get to fish less but everyone has fun, you win, especially in the long run.

good luck
Old 04-26-2006, 11:59 PM

TJ Rowden will become famous soon enoughTJ Rowden will become famous soon enough

Thanks to both of you. Joni, I've looked over the site for the lodge and . . . *drool* maybe sooner than later. lol thanks for the heads up. Salmo nothing more to say than you hitting it squarely on the noggin. Your words are well received and much appreciated. Thank you.
Old 05-13-2006, 06:29 AM

KGP is on a distinguished road

My wife s actually the one that will push me to go out fishing. Not always, but she helps. I get so gaught up in my job and the two businesses I run on the side that I almost "forget" to rest/relax. My wife knows that I love to fish and will say things to "remind" me to relax. Things like, "So, are we fishing tomorrow." I know this is her way of telling me she wants me to relax and spend time with her. She doesnt catch much.... but just likes being out.

Maybe next time you are out you could voice to your wife that you really enjoy the time spent with her on the water. This alone could change her opinion of it and make the "not catching anything" part of it not matter. From reading your post again... maybe you are looking for a way to have her support your time away from her?? If thats the case, ignore everything I said! HAHAHA!
Old 05-13-2006, 12:05 PM

fshfanatic will become famous soon enough

Quote:
Originally Posted by TJ Rowden
Thanks to both of you. Joni, I've looked over the site for the lodge and . . . *drool* maybe sooner than later. lol thanks for the heads up. Salmo nothing more to say than you hitting it squarely on the noggin. Your words are well received and much appreciated. Thank you.
If/when you go to 'The ledge", request Joni as your guide. She is incredible an incredible person and quite possibly the best tier/fisherperson I have ever met. Of course I dont get out very often either. Seriously is is incredible on the water.