The North American Fly Fishing Forum
Go Back   The North American Fly Fishing Forum > General Fly Fishing Discussion > General Discussion

General Discussion General discussions regarding fly fishing as a whole. Ask questions. Get answers...

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 08-03-2009, 02:25 PM

rebel1623 is on a distinguished road
Default Video of Green River, Utah Fishing Trip Last Week

These are the highlights of the two days we spent on the Green River. I've fished all over the Western US, but the Green River may be my favorite- amazingly clear water, gorgeous scenery and very good fishing.

Old 08-03-2009, 04:14 PM

yatahey has much to be proud ofyatahey has much to be proud ofyatahey has much to be proud ofyatahey has much to be proud ofyatahey has much to be proud ofyatahey has much to be proud ofyatahey has much to be proud ofyatahey has much to be proud ofyatahey has much to be proud ofyatahey has much to be proud of

Good stuff Rebel!!!
Old 08-03-2009, 09:15 PM
Administrator

mcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond repute

rebel1623: Nice work on the video, that was fun to watch, thanks for posting. I have to agree the Green is a great place to fish, the water is crystal clear and it is fun watching the fish herd downstream as the boat floats over, needless to say the fishing is also great. Looks like you were primarily nymph fishing, did you do any dry fly or terresterial tossing? Which outfit did the guiding? The water level looked much higher than when I floated it in the spring, any idea what the flow was.

Larry
Old 08-03-2009, 09:58 PM

rebel1623 is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by mcnerney View Post
rebel1623: Nice work on the video, that was fun to watch, thanks for posting. I have to agree the Green is a great place to fish, the water is crystal clear and it is fun watching the fish herd downstream as the boat floats over, needless to say the fishing is also great. Looks like you were primarily nymph fishing, did you do any dry fly or terresterial tossing? Which outfit did the guiding? The water level looked much higher than when I floated it in the spring, any idea what the flow was.

Larry
I was with Green River Outfitters, and the guide said the water was very high and had been so all summer. He seemed to be expecting slower fishing as a result, but we had good luck anyway. We did exclusively nymph fishing- he wanted to try some dry flies but felt it wouldn't work well in the high waters.

For a free Green River tip, the guide said if you do want to dry fly fish you shouldn't do so in the early part of the A stage right below the dam- you should wait until a later part where there are apparently more grasshoppers jumping into the water. I'm sure the advice would be different if there were an active hatch going on though.
Old 08-03-2009, 10:29 PM
Administrator

mcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by rebel1623 View Post
I was with Green River Outfitters, and the guide said the water was very high and had been so all summer. He seemed to be expecting slower fishing as a result, but we had good luck anyway. We did exclusively nymph fishing- he wanted to try some dry flies but felt it wouldn't work well in the high waters.

For a free Green River tip, the guide said if you do want to dry fly fish you shouldn't do so in the early part of the A stage right below the dam- you should wait until a later part where there are apparently more grasshoppers jumping into the water. I'm sure the advice would be different if there were an active hatch going on though.
I think you are correct, the water will warm up the further you get from the dam, we fished with Trout Creek Flies early in the year and primarily nymph fished, but the last mile or so before Little Hole we did some dry fly fishing with BWO's, but didn't do nearly as well as we did with the nymphs and the day we floated it was at 850 cfs which is pretty low compared to what you saw. I'm guessing it was probably around 2,000 cfs.

Larry
Old 08-06-2009, 07:16 AM

wtex50 will become famous soon enoughwtex50 will become famous soon enough
Default Re: Video of Green River, Utah Fishing Trip Last Week

Sweet. Looks like a ton of fun