The North American Fly Fishing Forum

Go Back   The North American Fly Fishing Forum > General Fly Fishing Discussion > General Discussion

General Discussion General discussions regarding fly fishing as a whole. Ask questions. Get answers...

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 08-03-2009, 07:06 PM

txbevo has a spectacular aura abouttxbevo has a spectacular aura about
Default Fly Fishing Tailwaters

I am interested in reading Ed Engle's book about "Fly Fishing the Tailwaters". It was recommended to me, but it is out of print and and is awfully expensive to buy on the used book market (minimum of $90 for a paperback), if you can find it. Just now I was doing a search on the book and came across a new book that was just released called "Fly Fishing Tailwaters" by Pat Dorsey. Has anyone read or heard anything about this book? I did a quick check on the author and he looks to be a well known respected guide in Colorado so I am sure he has some good things to say. Just interested in finding out more about the book before I shell out the bucks to order it. (One another note: Why are fly fishing books so expensive on average?)
Old 08-03-2009, 08:32 PM
Administrator

mcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond repute

txbevo: I bought that book pre-release from Blue Quill Anglers, I knew it would be excellent because I have Pat's other book "A Fly-Fishing Guide to the South Platte River" which is also very good. I just received the new book a couple weeks ago and have been reading it every chance I get. I highly recommend this book, you won't go wrong, there is a ton of material packed into both books!

Larry
Old 08-03-2009, 09:26 PM

yatahey has much to be proud ofyatahey has much to be proud ofyatahey has much to be proud ofyatahey has much to be proud ofyatahey has much to be proud ofyatahey has much to be proud ofyatahey has much to be proud ofyatahey has much to be proud ofyatahey has much to be proud ofyatahey has much to be proud of

I second what Larry says. Dorsey grew up fishing the S. Platte and is "the" authority on it. As a guide he is highly sought after and I've never heard a bad word said about him.
I've read his first book and am looking forward to getting the new one.
Old 08-03-2009, 11:05 PM

Fly2Fish is a splendid one to beholdFly2Fish is a splendid one to beholdFly2Fish is a splendid one to beholdFly2Fish is a splendid one to beholdFly2Fish is a splendid one to beholdFly2Fish is a splendid one to beholdFly2Fish is a splendid one to beholdFly2Fish is a splendid one to behold

Quote:
Originally Posted by txbevo View Post
I am interested in reading Ed Engle's book about "Fly Fishing the Tailwaters". It was recommended to me, but it is out of print and and is awfully expensive to buy on the used book market (minimum of $90 for a paperback), if you can find it. . . .
I bought a copy about six months ago in "good as new" condition for $16.75, which I found using the best book-finding search engine I've found, Add-All (http://www.addall.com/). I just ran a search on it to see what came up now and it found a copy from UK Amazon for $18.99 (around $30 total with shipping from the UK).

While I haven't read Dorsey's book (but intend to when I find it), I can testify to how good Engle's book is. It was so helpful to me in my fly-fishing on the Guadalupe (when it had water )), San Juan, etc. that I bought two of his other books - Fishing Small Flies and Tying Small Flies using the same search engine. These books are obviously very relevant to fishing tailwaters, since tiny flies are the norm there. If you're still unable to find Fly Fishing the Tailwaters at a price you find reasonable, you might try his Fishing Small Flies, as there is some overlap with Fly Fishing the Tailwaters.