The North American Fly Fishing Forum
Go Back   The North American Fly Fishing Forum > General Fly Fishing Discussion > General Discussion

General Discussion General discussions regarding fly fishing as a whole. Ask questions. Get answers...

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 08-03-2009, 10:47 PM

Jer is on a distinguished road
Default Hook Up Problems.. Please Help

Yesterday evening I went back up the Quartzville River.. This Time instead of Nymphing I was using a dry fly... I missed more fish than I landed , I would watch them hit the surface for my fly and more times than not when I went to set the hook , there was no fish on the end of my line... I don't know if I was a little late with the set or too early..

The fish were rising for my fly within 2 or 3 seconds of hitting the water sometimes immediately.. I was running the fly through some riffle that due to a large bush and a steep bank I couldnt get very close to.. So I was casting in the upwards of 40' - 50' and somewhere around there is where the fish were rising on it.. I am still pretty new to this fly fishing but I will try and give as much info as possible.. The fly was drifting below the float line , the way the current ran I had the fly in faster moving water than the float line.. Also I am using a 9' 5wt .. and if this helps any , the fish seemed to be on the smaller side hitting the fly , between the 8 - 10 " range..

Hopefully someone out there can give me some advice.. Such as set faster , wait a second longer , due to so much line in the water it makes it a bit trickier to get a good hook up or if a fish truly hits the fly it will set itself.. Any advice someone can give me would be greatly appreciated..

Jer

Last edited by Jer; 08-03-2009 at 10:50 PM.
Old 08-03-2009, 11:09 PM

MoscaPescador has a reputation beyond reputeMoscaPescador has a reputation beyond reputeMoscaPescador has a reputation beyond reputeMoscaPescador has a reputation beyond reputeMoscaPescador has a reputation beyond reputeMoscaPescador has a reputation beyond reputeMoscaPescador has a reputation beyond reputeMoscaPescador has a reputation beyond reputeMoscaPescador has a reputation beyond reputeMoscaPescador has a reputation beyond reputeMoscaPescador has a reputation beyond repute

Try saying "God Save the Queen," then lift your rod tip.

MP
Old 08-04-2009, 08:13 AM

ant is a splendid one to beholdant is a splendid one to beholdant is a splendid one to beholdant is a splendid one to beholdant is a splendid one to beholdant is a splendid one to beholdant is a splendid one to behold

If your fly was drifting below your line, then your leader would have been shaped in a U, correct? Depending on the length of your leader, when you went to set the hook there might have been to much slack to give the fly that little tug you need to set the hook. There might also have been to much slack in the line itself if ou weren't reeling it in as the fly drifted back to you.

Or the fish could have been teasing you for a good laugh.
Old 08-04-2009, 08:30 AM

sandfly is a splendid one to beholdsandfly is a splendid one to beholdsandfly is a splendid one to beholdsandfly is a splendid one to beholdsandfly is a splendid one to beholdsandfly is a splendid one to beholdsandfly is a splendid one to behold

keep your rod tip DOWN at the surface, holding it up allows for to much slack.
N.J.B.B.A. #2215

I did not escape.....they gave me a day pass!
from the outer edge of nowhere
fly tying and fishing Gillie..
Old 08-04-2009, 10:32 AM
Administrator

Frank Whiton has a reputation beyond reputeFrank Whiton has a reputation beyond reputeFrank Whiton has a reputation beyond reputeFrank Whiton has a reputation beyond reputeFrank Whiton has a reputation beyond reputeFrank Whiton has a reputation beyond reputeFrank Whiton has a reputation beyond reputeFrank Whiton has a reputation beyond reputeFrank Whiton has a reputation beyond reputeFrank Whiton has a reputation beyond reputeFrank Whiton has a reputation beyond repute
Send a message via Skype™ to Frank Whiton

Hi Jer,

Based on my own experience I think you are not ready for the strike. You need to have the fly line locked to the rod grip with your rod hand fore finger. If you strip line, strip it over that finger. Have a mind set on every drift that this is the time I get the big one and I have to be ready. Sandfly is right that the rod tip should be low. If you are high sticking then you can't have as much slack line on the water.

Try to position yourself so the take is opposite you or below you. If you are reading the water you should have an idea where the fish are located. Move up stream or wade further out to change your location to the fish. One of the biggest mistakes that new fly fishers make is they are not in the correct position for the spot they are fishing. If you cast up stream and the fish takes the fly as soon as it hits the water, move further up stream before making another cast. This gives you time to get everything under control and are prepared for the strike.

Now that I am up there in age I find that when I have not fished a lot recently, I miss the first couple of strikes. Then I get my mindset right and I do OK. Another of your problems is the distance from the fish. If you have forty feet of line out and a nine foot leader, your reaction time has to be quicker because you have more things to over come. You can also try a side rod set instead of the over head set especially if you are above the fish.

Thanks for trying to give us all the information in your post. Some of us should follow your example.

Frank

Last edited by Frank Whiton; 08-04-2009 at 04:48 PM.
Old 08-04-2009, 01:21 PM

Jer is on a distinguished road

Thanks Everyone , I am going this weekend and will be working on my technique.. I appreciate all the good advice Thanks again..

Hopefully I can return with some pictures and a success story

Jer
Old 08-04-2009, 02:52 PM

Bigfly has much to be proud ofBigfly has much to be proud ofBigfly has much to be proud ofBigfly has much to be proud ofBigfly has much to be proud ofBigfly has much to be proud ofBigfly has much to be proud ofBigfly has much to be proud ofBigfly has much to be proud of
Send a message via AIM to Bigfly

One of the hardest new habits for me to learn, was a strip set. Now, I don't even know I'm doing it. If your rod tip is down, and you have a minimal amount of line out, the shortest distance to that fly is a straight line. Your line hand takes the little bit of slack out with a short strip 2-3", ( you can then feel the fish) lift the rod a little, slide side ways in the direction the current is flowing. Hopefully he is there, if not, continue the drift. Rod setting pulls the fly far away and tips the fish that it's game on. Combined with saluting the queen, you stats should improve.

Bigfly
Old 08-08-2009, 08:42 AM

randyflycaster is a name known to allrandyflycaster is a name known to allrandyflycaster is a name known to allrandyflycaster is a name known to allrandyflycaster is a name known to allrandyflycaster is a name known to all
Default Re: Hook Up Problems.. Please Help

I was recently reading that, when we get a strike on a downstream drift, we should set the hook by sweeping the rod to the side, not straight up, which will pull the fly out of the fish's mouth.

Randy