The North American Fly Fishing Forum

Go Back   The North American Fly Fishing Forum > General Fly Fishing Discussion > General Discussion

General Discussion General discussions regarding fly fishing as a whole. Ask questions. Get answers...

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 02-27-2011, 09:39 PM

rschreck will become famous soon enoughrschreck will become famous soon enough
Default Beginner Help.

Total beginner question here: Would a St. Croix Imperial Model IF805, 8ft, 5wt, with an Imperial 75 Disc reel be something I can not only learn on, but also use a year or two down the road? I found a good deal on the rod and reel and figured I'd ask before making a decision.
Old 02-27-2011, 10:07 PM

raindogt has much to be proud ofraindogt has much to be proud ofraindogt has much to be proud ofraindogt has much to be proud ofraindogt has much to be proud ofraindogt has much to be proud ofraindogt has much to be proud ofraindogt has much to be proud of
Default Re: Beginner Help.

St. Croix makes fine rods that will last you years.
My only caveat is: I believe that particular rod is on the fast action side of things-- fast action rods are typically less 'forgiving' than a med action... Your learning curve may be a little steeper than with a med. action rod-- but the quality is top-notch and will certainly last you years.

I'm not familiar with the reel- so can't comment on that, but I feel certain that it will match the rod's quality if made by St. Croix.

My vote is 'yes' and 'yes'.

Welcome aboard.
Old 02-27-2011, 11:11 PM

MoscaPescador has a reputation beyond reputeMoscaPescador has a reputation beyond reputeMoscaPescador has a reputation beyond reputeMoscaPescador has a reputation beyond reputeMoscaPescador has a reputation beyond reputeMoscaPescador has a reputation beyond reputeMoscaPescador has a reputation beyond reputeMoscaPescador has a reputation beyond reputeMoscaPescador has a reputation beyond reputeMoscaPescador has a reputation beyond reputeMoscaPescador has a reputation beyond repute

Welcome to the forum.

A few questions.
1. What region are you currently living?
2. Do you plan on fishing outside your region and where?
3. What kinds of waters will you be fishing?
4. How often do you plan on fishing?
5. Will you be taking any fly fishing lessons (casting and on the water)?

MP
Old 02-27-2011, 11:28 PM
Administrator

Hardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond repute
Send a message via Yahoo to Hardyreels Send a message via Skype™ to Hardyreels

Mp asks pertinent questions that can help with a rod choice and I agree with Tony in that St. Croix rods are very good fly casting tools.

I learned using a 6' 9" Ike Walton solid fiberglass rod so in comparative terms you should have an easy go at this. Education and practice are going to be your keys to becoming a good caster. whether you take a class or you invest in a good book and then teach yourself having instructions will cut the pain out of learning this game.

If you have located a good value on a rod & reel set up then you might as well buy it. You gotta start somewhere and I don't think you really want me to send you my 1969 Ike Walton now do ya....................

Welcome to the forum I hope you'll stick around and ask more questions,

Ard

Life On The Line - Alaska Fishing with Ard

The Alaska Fishing & Outdoors Blog;
Old 02-28-2011, 12:51 PM

ausablebrown is a splendid one to beholdausablebrown is a splendid one to beholdausablebrown is a splendid one to beholdausablebrown is a splendid one to beholdausablebrown is a splendid one to beholdausablebrown is a splendid one to beholdausablebrown is a splendid one to beholdausablebrown is a splendid one to behold

Quote:
Originally Posted by rschreck View Post
Total beginner question here: Would a St. Croix Imperial Model IF805, 8ft, 5wt, with an Imperial 75 Disc reel be something I can not only learn on, but also use a year or two down the road? I found a good deal on the rod and reel and figured I'd ask before making a decision.
Keep in mind that is the old edition of the Imperial so if you are reading reviews etc., they may not be referring to that model, but to the new Imperial. I havn't cast one of the older ones.

As far as 8' 5wt; that is a rather short 5 wt. Most popular are 8'6" or 9' and they may cast a little sweeter than an 8ft which could have a short stiff feel to it. Also if you are going to be fishing larger waters, with good casting space, or long casts required you might want a longer rod.

As far as "the deal" I've spent the last 2 years trying to upgrade my equipment and have done so soley through e-bay, so I'm pretty knowledgeable about going prices on many used rods. You mind saying what the deal is? Just wondering because depending on your budget, there may be other options in your price range if you decide against that 8' rod.
Old 02-28-2011, 01:01 PM

ant is a splendid one to beholdant is a splendid one to beholdant is a splendid one to beholdant is a splendid one to beholdant is a splendid one to beholdant is a splendid one to beholdant is a splendid one to behold

St Croix makes a fine rod, but the 8' might be a little short if you plan on hitting some larger waters. Then you would want a 9'.

But if your a total beginner than I imagine that you would be hitting the smaller water, with 30'-40' casts tops. Then this rod would probably be ideal.

Heck, if you can get it at a deal, get it. You can always pick up a cheap longer rod if you think it's necessary.

Welcome and good luck!
FlyFishinado - My Fly Fishing Blog
Old 02-28-2011, 03:26 PM
Administrator

Frank Whiton has a reputation beyond reputeFrank Whiton has a reputation beyond reputeFrank Whiton has a reputation beyond reputeFrank Whiton has a reputation beyond reputeFrank Whiton has a reputation beyond reputeFrank Whiton has a reputation beyond reputeFrank Whiton has a reputation beyond reputeFrank Whiton has a reputation beyond reputeFrank Whiton has a reputation beyond reputeFrank Whiton has a reputation beyond reputeFrank Whiton has a reputation beyond repute
Send a message via Skype™ to Frank Whiton

Hi rschreck,

I couldn't find the Imperial 75 disc drag fly reel on the St Croix site. Maybe it was sold as a combination. The The St Croix Imperial rod is well known but I can't say the same for the reel if it does exists.

I think you are getting good advise on the 8' length. If this is your first rod then I think you would be better off with an 8'6" or better yet, a 9' rod. This may be a good deal to buy but not a good deal in the long run. How much is being asked for the rod and reel you are looking at?

Frank
Old 02-28-2011, 07:58 PM

rschreck will become famous soon enoughrschreck will become famous soon enough

Quote:
Originally Posted by MoscaPescador View Post
Welcome to the forum.

A few questions.
1. What region are you currently living?
2. Do you plan on fishing outside your region and where?
3. What kinds of waters will you be fishing?
4. How often do you plan on fishing?
5. Will you be taking any fly fishing lessons (casting and on the water)?

MP
1. I live in Denver.
2. I'll most likely fish around here with a possible trip to Oregon and Montana.
3. As for waters, not sure how to answer that. Mostly streams, creeks.
4. To be honest with you, I seem to get obsessive with my hobbies so I'll probably fish as much as I can this spring, summer, and fall.
5. Lessons yes. The Orvis here in Denver offers free lessons and a buddy of mine has been doing it for a few years now.

---------- Post added at 08:53 PM ---------- Previous post was at 08:51 PM ----------

Quote:
Originally Posted by Frank Whiton View Post
Hi rschreck,

I couldn't find the Imperial 75 disc drag fly reel on the St Croix site. Maybe it was sold as a combination. The The St Croix Imperial rod is well known but I can't say the same for the reel if it does exists.

I think you are getting good advise on the 8' length. If this is your first rod then I think you would be better off with an 8'6" or better yet, a 9' rod. This may be a good deal to buy but not a good deal in the long run. How much is being asked for the rod and reel you are looking at?

Frank

The guy wants $125 for the set. From what I know, the guy bought them and never used them.

---------- Post added at 08:58 PM ---------- Previous post was at 08:53 PM ----------

Ok, since it seems like a lot of you have suggested getting an 8'6" or 9', could you give me a few suggestions on a rod and reel?

1. Not on a unlimited budget, but will consider spending money on stuff that will last for years.

2. Would like something I can learn on and still use as I get better and better.

3. If anyone knows where I could buy a whole package of everything I would need (waders, vest, flies, and everything else), please let me know.

As I said, I am a complete beginner to fly fishing so I really don't know exactly all I need.

Really appreciate the help guys. Glad I found this forum.
Old 02-28-2011, 08:19 PM

hypobaricstalker will become famous soon enoughhypobaricstalker will become famous soon enough
Send a message via Skype™ to hypobaricstalker

OP, after your statement, my questions to you are...

What's your budget?
If you dont mind us asking, what price is the "deal". What sounds like a deal to you, may not be to us.

You sound a lot like me as that you become obsessed with your hobbies. That being said, remember that new rods have a full life time warranty with MANY companies. I know there are some local rods here in Denver that have been on craigslist, but having the life time warranty on a ride is like GOLD!
I just picked up a Scott G2 8'8" from a CO resident with a warranty card for 350...keep in mind it's a 700$ rod brand new. There's some great deals around. If you want to call me and I can help you in your search feel free to PM me and I'll send you my number.

---------- Post added at 09:19 PM ---------- Previous post was at 09:02 PM ----------

You'll notice with a lot of manufacturer's the model number refer's to the rod length / weight / number of sections.

I'd look at the St. Croix Avid A865.4 or A905.4 or the St. Croix Rio Santo RS865.4 or RS905.4, The Scott A3 855/4 or 905/4 or if you want to get the "Lambo" of current fly rods to many opinions the Scott G2 885/4 or 905/4.

Some will probably turn you to TFO, but I'm not a big fan but others are.

If I were you as a first rod I'd look at the Scott A3, St. Croix Avid, Scott G2, and Rio Santo in precedence.

As far as reels, I was seconds from buying a Nuaitulis WFX and eneded up with an Abel TR/2. The ABel got me because it's Old school click and pawl and Abel is a quality name. The Nautilus' are VERY nice and incorporate a cork drag a low price point. I'd also look at Ross Reels as well, something like the Evolution LT or CLA or Lamson reels. I'm pretty sure the FRA is having a sale on some Lamson reels right now as well.
Old 02-28-2011, 08:32 PM

ausablebrown is a splendid one to beholdausablebrown is a splendid one to beholdausablebrown is a splendid one to beholdausablebrown is a splendid one to beholdausablebrown is a splendid one to beholdausablebrown is a splendid one to beholdausablebrown is a splendid one to beholdausablebrown is a splendid one to behold

Quote:
Originally Posted by rschreck View Post

The guy wants $125 for the set. From what I know, the guy bought them and never used them.

---------- Post added at 08:58 PM ---------- Previous post was at 08:53 PM ----------

Ok, since it seems like a lot of you have suggested getting an 8'6" or 9', could you give me a few suggestions on a rod and reel?

1. Not on a unlimited budget, but will consider spending money on stuff that will last for years.

2. Would like something I can learn on and still use as I get better and better.

3. If anyone knows where I could buy a whole package of everything I would need (waders, vest, flies, and everything else), please let me know.

As I said, I am a complete beginner to fly fishing so I really don't know exactly all I need.

Really appreciate the help guys. Glad I found this forum.
I have no idea what the reel is; but chances are a comparable one could be found on e-bay for 10 bucks; unless it is something special that I have never heard of. These rods sell on e-bay for less than a hundred bucks. Even the brand new edition of the Imperial will sell for around 100-120 used, with the 2 peice being cheaper. It does not sound like a great deal to me, not bad, but not great.

As far as gettin new gear; If you want to spend the minimum amount possible and still get decent gear that a seasoned veteran would still fish with here are some price generalities: (all new prices)

Decent rod 150-200 (st croix imperial, TFO Professional Finesse, Winston Passport)
Reel 75+ (there are so many, and i don't know alot about the cheaper models that may be really serviceable options)
Line 30-50
Waders 150-200 (breathable is what everyone serious uses)
+60 for wader boots.
Vest 35- I would go cheap here; as long as you have enough pockets, you don't need the $200 vest.
Various leaders, tippet, hemostats, nippers, fly floatant will cost you another 40 bucks before you go out on the water.

Now, keep in mind, if you are willing to fish used gear and you know how to e-bay you can save alot on a rod and reel. Fish a discontinued model, or used model and save 50% of the cost.

FIshing in Colorado I would assume that you want a longer rod if you are only going to own one.

Hope some of these posts help you out. Any questions keep -em coming.