The North American Fly Fishing Forum
Go Back   The North American Fly Fishing Forum > General Fly Fishing Discussion > General Discussion

General Discussion General discussions regarding fly fishing as a whole. Ask questions. Get answers...

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 08-05-2009, 05:52 PM

Walter1023 has a spectacular aura aboutWalter1023 has a spectacular aura about
Default The Trout Gods refuse me a Sage Fli

Well....I saw two places with good closeout prices on the Sage FLI....I specifically wanted a 8', 4 weight 2 piece. I first went onto Madison River Fishing Co...the site listed it available for around $179 shipping included. Thus I got a confirmed order for the product. I then got a follow up email that unfortunately they were out of this model...they will update their website and remove it...but If I wanted the 7'6" or 9' 4 wt models they were available. I declined. A day later I went onto Red Truck flyfishing co....same 8' model was available on their site...just slightly more total cost ($5)....and the indication that since its a sale item all orders are final w/ no returns. Inputted same credit card info....got confirmastion that my order was placed and the item would be shipped. Then I got a v/m message the next afternoon that unfortunately they were out of stock...they'll update their website to remove the model #...but I could get the 7' 6" or 9' model - which I declined. Anyway...I guess the lessons here is "first come, first serve"..on clearance items & maybe its better to call and confirm availability. I will say that despite being very disappointed that I couldn't get the rod I thought I bought at these prices (they are available other places at at higher prices...just above my "line in the sand")....the firms involved seem pretty reputable and otherwise were decent to deal with. I just wish they'd be more vigilant about removing unavailable items...and if only 1 is left...state it -and add"call for confirmation". I debated whether to make the purchase but once you pull the trigger - it sucks not getting what you wanted.
Old 08-06-2009, 10:55 AM

Bigfly has much to be proud ofBigfly has much to be proud ofBigfly has much to be proud ofBigfly has much to be proud ofBigfly has much to be proud ofBigfly has much to be proud ofBigfly has much to be proud ofBigfly has much to be proud ofBigfly has much to be proud of
Send a message via AIM to Bigfly
Default Re: The Trout Gods refuse me a Sage Fli

The universe provides, (and it takes away too)! I'm always looking for "signs" (like which fly to use) maybe the force is nudging you towards another choice of rod. Either that or it's a test to see if you'll hang tough. I can recommend the VT2 version, a small step up but well worth it.
Feel the force Walter.

Bigfly
Old 08-06-2009, 07:01 PM

Walter1023 has a spectacular aura aboutWalter1023 has a spectacular aura about

Truth is....I didn't really need the rod. I already have a 8' 4wt Sage Launch and 7 1/2 ft 4wt Redington CPS - in addition to a few 5 weights, a 3wt and a 8 wt. When I first started fly fishing I never understood the posts about all the rods people had and how you can never have enough..etc. My $35 Scientific Anglers 9ft 5 wt (bought at walmart) served me very well....a $25 Pfleugler medalist and $1 Cortland 6 wt line (clearance at walmart) gave me the cheapest yet was very productive....I learned on it...caught alot of fish on it, fished all streams )small to large) with it... etc. but over time as you get hooked deeper into this great sport - you start expanding the "arsenal". Maybe the "force" was telling me to get back to the basics. Anyway....I'll keep that $ in reserve until the next good deal...as any true equipment junkie would.
Old 08-07-2009, 04:54 PM

Bigfly has much to be proud ofBigfly has much to be proud ofBigfly has much to be proud ofBigfly has much to be proud ofBigfly has much to be proud ofBigfly has much to be proud ofBigfly has much to be proud ofBigfly has much to be proud ofBigfly has much to be proud of

When I guide, and a client wants to fish their own gear, I always agree. I will then at some point ask to test drive their rod. They have always kindly allowed this very small favor. So, I've tested in real time, a bunch of rods. All makes, all materials, all years.
There are a few great "sleepers" by lesser known makers, and a few OK rods by famous makers. I have a smoke jumper friend who caught a steel head with a willow branch and parachute cord. The question, is whether the tool does the job? If you like your rod, fish it. If you don't, get another one. Of course, you need a backup in case the primary breaks. Then of coarse, there are new tasks arising all the time,(Dryfly,nymphing,streamers,Bass,saltwater etc...) requiring the correct tool for the job, and of course a backup.
If you don't catch fish with an expensive rod, you at least look good. If you catch fish on an "intro" kids rod from a box store made in a far away land, you look even better. Go fish, try to have fun.

Bigfly
Old 08-07-2009, 05:12 PM

PS. I've fallen hard for the Sage 6110 switch rod. My new fishing "secret" is fishing over fish, others don't.

Bigfly